What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fwd Bag Floor fit

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have a question on the fit of the forward baggage floor. The floor comes done and installed on the QB. I have to push the left side of the fuselage in a fair bit to get the holes to line up (see pictures) on the left fuselage side. I wonder if this is normal, it puts a real flex into the forward side fuselage skin so much so that I think it will be noticeable.

I am thinking of slotting the side baggage floor screw holes so there is not the indentation but wonder if there is some purpose to having this kind of force fit. All of the other floor screws fit fine. Thank you in advance for any help.

Two posts about the forward baggage area today, I guess you can see where I am focused right now!

This is the fit with the skin in a relaxed state.

280mf06.jpg

This is fit by pushing in on the left side skin

242d40n.jpg

Cheers

Mike,

I found the same thing when I fit the floor in my slow build kit. I ended up removing the angle support from the side skin and making a new one from scratch. Now the floor fits without distorting the side skin.

-Chris

Floor size

So from what it sounds like from you guys the baggage floor is manufacutred just a little narrow for a good fit. So either the floor has to be made wider or the support it attaches to has to be wider. I am glad it is not supposed to get pulled in, it would have looked like you know what.

I have not riveted on the top skin yet but was getting the final things done to do so. I might slot the holes in the floor and see what material is life to hold the floor and go from there.

Thanks for the help! :)

Vans fix it please!

Thanks guys for the inputs. Is it me or am I the only one annoyed with the "known issues" that are never fixed. I mean how much trouble is it to cut and form new baggage floor panels.

I know most of the "known issues" are simple things but at least publish a list to go with the kits "Things that are wrong but we don't have time to fix" Everything from fit problems to error or omissions on the plans. After all how many would buy a car with "known issues", not many I think. Maybe it is one of those right of passage things, you can't make it too easy on the builder.

Thank goodness for VAF.

Cheers

I drilled the baggage floor holes out a little larger with a step drill. Large enough to capture the underlying angle support holes, but not too large to slip past the #8 screw heads. Just took a few minutes and the floor goes in much easier now. If you enlarge to holes too much, just use washers under the screws.

Back