What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how necessary is tie-down?

prkaye

Well Known Member
When you travel to another airport and have to leave the plane parked outside for a night with good forecasted weather, how critical do you guys think it is to be able to tie the airplane down? I was recently at an airport where the available tie-down rings at the FOB were frozen into the ground. The sun melted them and freed them for me pretty quickly, but it got me wondering in general. I would assume it would take a pretty strong gust of wind before tie-down are really necessary, but perhaps this is naive.
Do you consider tie-down an absolute requirement whenever parking the plane outside overnight, regardless of expected weather?

My concern isn't entirely with weather conditions but with other airplanes taxing around. The prop wash from another plane can be enough to move a small plane pretty far.

The prop wash from another plane can be enough to move a small plane pretty far.

You mean causing it to roll on its wheels, or picking it up and throwing it? I have some small lightweight wheelchocks which I made out of alum angle which should address the rolling concern.

[snip]I would assume it would take a pretty strong gust of wind before tie-down are really necessary[snip]

A pretty strong gust can be created by the prop wash or rotor wash of nearby aircraft not observing good taxi procedures.

You mean causing it to roll on its wheels, or picking it up and throwing it? I have some small lightweight wheelchocks which I made out of alum angle which should address the rolling concern.

If it comes from a cross wind direction, pick up a wing and flip you over.

I worked as a ramp rat in high school. There are some serious clowns out there with airplanes, and it only takes one to do some serious damage to your airplane. Some notable reasons I remember to tie down your airplane...

Jet exhaust that tossed a full size dumpster a good 50' into a row of light singles, as well as pushed several back agaisnt their tie downs
G-IV that clipped two light twins (would've pushed them into their neighbors without tie downs)
Piper Malibu that came up on the power, spun a 195 (wings only tied down) into it's neighbor
Bonanza that spun a Citabria in it's tie down, but it WAS tied down
Freak thunderstorm that flipped a Cherokee (not tied down) over on top of a Mooney. Gust of wind basically aileron rolled it over.
Same thunderstorm flipped an Globe Swift that only had it's wings tied down. Flipped it up on it's nose, and the stress broke a tie down on one side allowing it to go all the way over onto the tail.

There are some others I can't think of. In several cases the owners (or their insurance) tried to sue the FBO, in every case they lost, citing the owners responsibility to ensure the security of their own airplane. IIRC the airplanes that WERN'T tied down were held liable for the damage to their neighbors.

It 2 minutes of your time... tie it down.

Last edited:
I've seen an RV do a near 180 degree reversal. I wouldn't feel good at all, without tie downs overnight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

on a related topic, it's not always enough to just tie down. After a wind event at my airport, I noticed that every tricycle geared RV on the ramp (Cirrus too) had their nose wheel cocked over at maximum deflection, even though they were still tied down and most had chocks under their main gear wheels. Thats got to be tough on them rocking back and forth with the nose wheel at 90 degrees. A third chock on the nose wheel takes care of the problem.

Erich

Tiedowns: rudder flopping

On RV's, the rudder really takes a beating in winds. Because the rudders do not have springs or tension on them, winds really bang them around. Be sure to at least put the seat belt around a stick and make or buy a rudder stop of some sort. A U shaped wire on the rudder stop to rudder cable area can work, two flat boards mounted on the actual vertical/rudder, or something like broomsticks wedged between the seat front and rudder pedals.

On RV's, the rudder really takes a beating in winds. Because the rudders do not have springs or tension on them, winds really bang them around. Be sure to at least put the seat belt around a stick and make or buy a rudder stop of some sort. A U shaped wire on the rudder stop to rudder cable area can work, two flat boards mounted on the actual vertical/rudder, or something like broomsticks wedged between the seat front and rudder pedals.

I agree on securing the rudder, but there is a big difference between taildraggers and nosedraggers. The nosedraggers need some sort of lock, while the taildragger's rudder will stay put in everything except VERY strong winds if the tailwheel is straight and the detent locked in place.

Just wanted to point out the difference, as many Tri-gear pilots aren't aware of it.

Paul

Ratchet straps

I've got the Bison Mountain bags behind my seats that I carry tools and other necessary stuff for CC travel. Part of that is 3 ratchet straps. I've been to many airports where the cups and rings were there but no chains or ropes.

At one place, there were no available provisions so I parked the plane in the grass next to the tie downs and used my own tie down system.

Not worth taking the chance. Only takes a few minutes to insure a good nights sleep.

Personally, I would NEVER leave my airplane overnight unless it was tied down or in a hangar.

Last edited:
I agree on securing the rudder, but there is a big difference between taildraggers and nosedraggers. The nosedraggers need some sort of lock, while the taildragger's rudder will stay put in everything except VERY strong winds if the tailwheel is straight and the detent locked in place.
I find that to be true with my rocket link, but people with the stock chains to the rudder aren't always as lucky, as an owner from my home field found out one windy day. Tailwheel was locked, but there was enough slop in the chains that the rudder could bang around and eventually *break the rudder stop*, and then the elevator poked a hole in the rudder next.

Personally I tie it down if i'm leaving the plane unattended overnight. During the day at a strange airport, I use wheel chocks. Any sign of strong winds, and i'll be back at the plane though. I don't bother tying down if i'm camping next to the plane... I sleep light enough that any winds that would move it would wake me if i'm in the adjacent tent.

One year at Van's Home Coming, a few of us flew to Tillamook to see the museum. I do not remember if any of us with RVs used tie downs for the day visit but a C182 parked next to us did. When we came out, the wind was strong enough that one of the tires on the C182 was lifting off the ramp.

There are airports in California that require you to tiedown your airplane when you get out of it. Yes they are in windy areas. Calm one minute and windy the next.

I have seen a dust devil show up at a fly-in. It picked up one RV and pushed its tail into another RVs tail. There was bent metal.

I would not leave my airplane unattended at an airport without tying it down. There are some pilots that will start up and turn without thinking who or what is behind them getting their prop wash. (prop BLAST would be a better word)

I carry my own ropes all the time and have anchors for the ground in the airplane most of the time.

When in doubt, tie the airplane down.

After actually seeing a plane blown into another plane by a pilot that just didn't seem to care how he taxied his plane, I will always tie down my plane. Many airports do not supply ropes and some that do are just old and rotted pieced together trash. I use the Quick-Ty-Downs we sell, heck the plane almost ties itself down... :D :eek:

Last edited:
on a related topic, it's not always enough to just tie down. After a wind event at my airport, I noticed that every tricycle geared RV on the ramp (Cirrus too) had their nose wheel cocked over at maximum deflection, even though they were still tied down and most had chocks under their main gear wheels. Thats got to be tough on them rocking back and forth with the nose wheel at 90 degrees. A third chock on the nose wheel takes care of the problem.

Erich

I agree. I've seen my nose wheel cocked over upon return from the typical courtesy car lunch run. I always make sure I'm tied down with all control surfaces locked.

This is a no brainer,,,,,,tie downs are a must! Just spend an hour watching the going on's at a busy small airport ramp on the weekend and you'll get the idea.:eek:

trust no one

I learned to never trust someone else to tie down the plane. The ramp guys at Mobile Regional told me they would tie down the RV-6 after moving it to overnight parking (yes, I screwed in the tiedown eyes). I came back the next day and it had not been moved or tied down......

Yep, leaving the plane unsecured was stupid on my part but it won't happen again.

If the plane is out of sight, it is tied down.

As far as chocking the nose draggers, when the wind is really howling I have seen every plane jump the chocks that were using them. I assume it was all the locals that had no chocks as they knew they were of no use. The planes moved until the chains got tight and they stayed put by the chains. The castor swivels around no matter what you do when the wind is over 40kts. Another plus for a taildragger as my 9 never had this problem. I still chock all wheels every time, but some days I don't know why I bother.

Last edited:
+1 for tiedowns. Also, as a former FBO owner, mechanic, etc., I have a peeve (spelled right?) about brakes & chocks. That is: 1) Do not set brakes on anything lighter than say, a 421. 2) If you really gotta chock it, do not chock until fully tied. I've seen many guys throw chocks and then tie down. This usually keeps the plane from settling when you tie, leaving slack. The wind comes up, they hop the chocks and then they really start dancing.
I used to have a cherokee that I'd often leave untied at a little place I was working. Couple times I'd lurch up in bed and hear the wind blowing. Then race to the airport with high anxiety to tie down. Big time saver.

...how critical do you guys think it is to be able to tie the airplane down?..

Absolutely essential!

A buddy's RV-4 took a severe beating thanks to a fire service Huey hover taxing nearby.

I have had the tie down rings on my airplane (not RV) BENT due to the beating the airplane took overnight! The line guys told me later that a freak wind came through in the early evening. I have no doubt that had it not been tied down, it would have been on its back the next morning (...and probably perched on top of a G-IV!).

These are "light" aircraft... and without people they will fly at very low airspeed. I tie down unless I can see the airplane AND get to it in a matter of seconds.

YES!

When you travel to another airport and have to leave the plane parked outside for a night with good forecasted weather, how critical do you guys think it is to be able to tie the airplane down? I was recently at an airport where the available tie-down rings at the FOB were frozen into the ground. The sun melted them and freed them for me pretty quickly, but it got me wondering in general. I would assume it would take a pretty strong gust of wind before tie-down are really necessary, but perhaps this is naive.
Do you consider tie-down an absolute requirement whenever parking the plane outside overnight, regardless of expected weather?

ABSOLUTELY!

Bob Axsom

Thanks guys. The "FlyTies" from spruce, while a bit expensive, look like a good solution for airports with grass parking areas.

Thanks guys. The "FlyTies" from spruce, while a bit expensive, look like a good solution for airports with grass parking areas.

Another option is "The Claw," also available at Spruce. A bit cheaper, but two pounds more to carry. I believe the combined holding is similar.

Tying down airplanes is absolutely essential. Remember that the first airplane ever built, the original Wright Flyer, was destroyed by a wind storm after only its first day of flight.

I work in the boneyard in Mojave, California. Judging by the amount of wind turbine generators out there, it must be one of the windiest places on earth. I have personally seen the wind blow a 747 on to its tail, with the nose wheels hanging twenty feet in the air. Granted, the aircraft involved had CG issues, but it was resting normally and the wind was the deciding factor that pushed a 200-ton airplane over. I have also seen airliners that were parked tail in to the wind jump the chocks and spin 180 degrees. One such airplane was an L1011, and when it spun around it smacked in to the wing of a 747, tearing a 20 foot hole in the L1011's fuselage.

So, given what I've seen, I would recommend tying down any small airplane before you walk away. It doesn't take that long and it might save you a lot of regrets.

I've got the Bison Mountain bags behind my seats that I carry tools and other necessary stuff for CC travel. Part of that is 3 ratchet straps. I've been to many airports where the cups and rings were there but no chains or ropes...
I never liked using the ratchet straps with hooks as you really have to tighten them down to keep the plan from bouncing out of the hooks.

Check out the first two posts on this page for pictures of my solution.

Back