What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Cushion Gap?

wcalvert

Well Known Member
Looking at the seat bottom in a -7, the seat pan directly below the seat itself is flat, then it slopes up and forward to the top of the spar.

Since there is an adjustable mechanism at the bottom of the seat back (hinge and pin adjustment), what are you all doing about the "gap" that is created when you move the seat back aft?

Or put another way, what does the bottom of your seat cushion look like as the seat back is adjusted fore and aft? Is there a gap? Just ignoring it?

Like to hear from anyone who has approached conquered the problem.

Thanks

I just redid my seat cushions from the typical seat cushion and various boosters and looked at this problem with respect to seat comfort. I decided to make a seat cushion to fit with the floor profile with the seat in the full back hinge position as that it the only place I or my passengers fly. I then developed a seat contour knowing that it won’t be distorted with weight on it. The effort paid off as the seats are now much more comfortable on those 3 hr legs.

BTW, while the leather/vinyl coverings give a very tailored look and can be aesthetically more appealing, sheepskin is much more comfortable summer or winter. And if your airplane gets cold, no comfor foam. It gets very hard in the cold. Hard like a board and if you have padding between your butt and the comfor foam it never warms up.

Back