What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Music input noise trouble-shooting

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - recently I am having some trouble with noise in the music input for my audio panel. When I built the plane, I installed a 1/8" headphone jack in the rear of the plane, wired to the aux music input of the audio panel (PS engineering PMA5000EX). This has worked well for 5+ years.

Now whenever I try and play music through the Aux input, the music is very muted, with a bunch of "fuzz" that sounds like waves. I have not changed anything in the plane. I've checked the wiring at both ends, and everything looks fine. I've tried two different music sources and several cables. At this point I am about of ideas. Any suggestions or ideas on other things to try?

Thanks,
Jason

If the music input jack is grounded to the airframe, often times this introduces a ground loop that creates problems similar to what you're hearing. Try isolating the input jack from the airframe and see if that helps. All-plastic jacks are available, with solder connections on the rear for wiring, that prevent the ground loop issue.

Just one possibility...

The music jack I am using is plastic, with the wires soldered to the back. I checked the wires, and they all appeared to be firmly attached, but I'll give it another look.

I have not changed anything in the plane. I've checked the wiring at both ends, and everything looks fine. I've tried two different music sources and several cables. At this point I am about of ideas. Any suggestions or ideas on other things to try?

Thanks,
Jason

Try shutting off things one at a time while you are getting the noise.......strobes, xpnder, position lights etc.

Other possibilty is ignition or alternator........both have parts that wear over time and could start causing issues that were not there when new.

That's the funny thing - I am getting the noise with almost nothing powered on. Last night I had everything powered off except the avionics (Radio, transponder, G3X screen and Mini-X), and was still getting the noise.

Problem solved....... and it wasn't anything I expected. The culprit was a new phone. I googled "Samsung S8 static from headphone jack" and found several articles mentioning solving a similar problem by enabling a UHC setting in the audio quality menu. I flipped the switch, and the static is gone. Glad it was an easy fix...I really was not looking forward to tracing out wires, etc.

Music jack noise

Jason,

Looks like you figured it out but for all you IPhone users that may have had this:

This exact thing happened to me recently. I use an IPhone 6 for the music source. I discovered that it was the music jack on the phone that was malfunctioning. I then put on earphones and only heard one side. If you have an IPhone you can get a lightning adapter (plugs into the main power charging port) that will allow you to plug straight into your music jack from the phone. Now my music is crystal clear again. I have a GTR 200 comm with music input via the 1/8" music jack on the right side near my headphone jacks. See link below:

Lightning to 3.5mm Male Jack AUX Audio Music Adapter Cable For Apple iPhone

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lightning-to-...NG_ACTIVE&skus=Color:Black&varId=581692136833

Back