What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tank sealant cleanup

dspender

Well Known Member
I searched for this thread knowing others have had a similar question but I saw no answers. I used tank sealant today to close up the aft portion of my 10 Rudder. Instructions say to set it aside for a couple of days. What is the recommendation for cleanup of clecos , tools, rudder skin, etc?

Having just finished a tank I have mor experience than I'd like....

MEK is the big gun, but it is NASTY. Have breathing protection and lots of ventilation. A little wiping will remove even dried sealant if its just smeared on the skin.

Lacquer thinner is what I use for sealant that is still wet or not as stubborn. Still not nice studf but not nearly as nasty as MEK.

On a side note, I left the proseal on a lot of clecos and they still work great AND don't scratch aluminum going in. They oughta make em that way.

Lastly, fast orange hand cleaner works fairly well with some scrubbing. I gave up on gloves after the 50th pair in 5 minutes and just clean my hands up at the end of each session.

Chris

Last edited:
MEK....

Nothing like the smell of MEK in the morning.....really. It is the best, but use it outside, or with respiration. No better cleaner/solvent.

DO NOT use MEK to clean up your tanks!

When I had my plane down for the engine swap, I used some MEK to clean up some tank sealant on the top of the left tank in preparation for painting.

Wouldn't you know it, I have about six rivets on the top of that tank that have paint bubbles. (I'm in the process of fixing them now.)

No bubbles on the bottom of that tank and none on the right tank.

The only place I cleaned up the proseal with MEK is on the top of the left tank.

Some will say that isn't the cause but I disagree. Besides, why risk it.

Sand off the excess sealant and paint over it.

I just used tank seal on the aft end of my rudder assembly. There is no paint on the surface yet. Just some sealant on the rudder skin, clecos and tools. I was going to use MEK to clean those surfaces.

Back