What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Loop, from "Will" to "Have" in 3 seconds

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
You know what they say about taildragger pilots, there are those that have ground looped and those that will. I was in the "will" category, and while I would never have said "it couldn't happen to me" I sure didn't think it would happen on take off!

Here is the story. It was 99* F in Kelowna on Monday afternoon when I was leaving for the short (.3) flight home to Salmon Arm. I ignored the checklist item that says ?Canopy Latched? and kept the canopy cracked open to get some air (tipover canopy). Was cleared for takeoff and FORGOT the canopy was still cracked open about a half inch. Full throttle and a bootful of right rudder to keep straight, About a second later as the speed was coming up so did the canopy. Took me by surprise and I instinctively looked at it and reached for it with my throttle hand. During that half second distraction I obviously reduced right rudder pressure and around we went. Fastest 90 degree corner I ever made. By the time I pulled the throttle back to idle it was way too late. Scraped the wingtip as we went around and as I exited the side of the runway the tail came up (don?t know exactly why) and buried the spinner about 6? into the ground just off the pavement. I thought for a millisecond I was going over but fortunately the action stopped there with the tail in the air. I was probably less than 100' down the runway from where I started my takeoff run. You can see the taxiway that provided access to the runway in the picture below. No injuries other than a very bruised ego!

Damage ? right gear leg and the engine mount are bent. Right wing has a wrinkled outboard skin - will need to drill it off to see if the outboard spar is bent. Prop blades are toast and of course the prop hub and the engine will need to be torn down for inspection. Haven't dialed the crank yet but don't hold out much hope - full power strike on the pavement. Right wheel pant (front half) is heavily damaged. Other repairable fiberglass damage around the gear leg fairings and wing tip. Will need a new wheel, actually scraped the side of the rim on the ground and took a chunk off it but the rubber stayed on and it still holds air.

Lesson learned: Build a slider, tipover canopies suck! :D

.............oh, and follow the checklist regardless of how hot it is.

plane_p3055067%20(640x361)%20(428x241).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that event Mark. I takes guts to do it.

None of us here are immune to such things happening. We must practice what we preach and sometimes we do not....been there and done that, but no ground loop so far.

Taking off with canopy un locked, yes. Landing Cozy with nose gear retracted, yes. But no ground loop yet.

Been there, done that.

If there is any consolation, you have now fullfilled your minimum quota as a TW pilot. Hopefully you're good to go from here on out.

It takes intestinal fortitude to come on here and describe an incident like that and I admire your brass. It only takes a second for it to all go wrong. I can't say I've never pushed the throttle forward and then noticed the canopy still unlatched, but as you say....sliders are wonderful. I'm still in the "will" category but have certainly had enough close calls to say "there but for the grace..." You know the rest. Good luck on the repairs.

Appreciate the reality check Mark. Had a close call at a very busy airport couple years ago. Not fun. Thanks for sharing.

Having left my canopy open until the last minute many times, this is a good reminder that a "hot weather" checklist might be a good idea. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, hopefully the repairs aren't too spendy.

Thanks for sharing...this will plant a seed to remember my CIGAR checklist. I have taken off with the side canopy latch unsecure so I know I am vulnerable to such an event.

open canopy

Done it a couple of times , no big deal, just take off. The second time I learned by slowing up to almost to a stall you can latch it in flight.

So, those that will some day...no big deal.

My guess is you don't have a Rocket or RV-4. It will never close in flight because it won't be there.

Done it a couple of times , no big deal, just take off. The second time I learned by slowing up to almost to a stall you can latch it in flight.

So, those that will some day...no big deal.

distraction and reaction..

...will gang up on you at the most inopportune time. Thanks for sharing, it's easy to get complacent and/or let distraction get the better of you. A few seconds earlier or later and things likely would have ended differently. I'm reminded of the first flight in my Sonerai; a few seconds after takeoff a few wasps came boiling out from under the panel and headed right for my head (distraction). A quick dodge to the left followed by turning my head and shoulders to the right shifted my weight to the right foot - no more left rudder (VWs turn counter-clockwise) and a whole lot of right rudder (reaction). If I had been on the ground I would have been off the side of the runway faster than can say it. As it was, I learned a 60hp Sonerai will fly knife edge at 50 feet for the 2 tenths of a second it takes to realize you had better start flying the plane and let the wasps worry about themselves. RVs fly just fine with the canopy unlatched, don't ask me how I know...

Last edited:
Good story. Thanks for the reminder of vigilance.

When I flew cargo in ce-402's we were trained to always keep our hand on the crew door if we taxied with it open. I have a policy in the 6 that the slider door is either fully open, or if it's "cracked" then my hand is on the handle as a reminder. Like the gear handle, never let go until it's secured.

Sooooooo sorry to hear of the damage. And more kudos to you for sharing the incident ... We've all learned a little more.
I've had two takeoffs with the canopy unlatched and both were very scary incidents. The upward pressure felt while holding it closed implied it would go WAY up if a I let go, so I juggled controls with wrong hands - while holding the canopy closed with my right - and returned to land in both incidents. The whole time I was saying to myself out loud, "Fly the plane, Fly the plane ...." Am determined to never let it happen again.

bummer

appreciate your comments. it helps us all. I know it hurts more than your words suggest.

Canopy

It would be relatively easy to build a takeoff warning horn system for the canopy. Any more than say 1500 r/m with the canopy unlatched the horn would sound.
I had the side opening canopy open at liftoff in a Cassutt. I can't describe exactly what I did but I got the throttle closed, held the canopy in the open position and landed straight ahead. No damage to canopy even though it hit the wing pretty hard.

I am sorry to hear this Mark though but am glad you are unhurt. I assume this was your EVO Rocket?

I hate to see such a beautiful machine get damaged.

It would be relatively easy to build a takeoff warning horn system for the canopy. Any more than say 1500 r/m with the canopy unlatched the horn would sound.
I had the side opening canopy open at liftoff in a Cassutt. I can't describe exactly what I did but I got the throttle closed, held the canopy in the open position and landed straight ahead. No damage to canopy even though it hit the wing pretty hard.

We have exactly that on our RV6. Voice comes up and says check canopy anytime rpm is above 1500 and the canopy latch is not in the closed position.
George

Mark, sorry to read about your ground loop but thanks for posting it just the same. There is something in there all of us can learn from.

I've had two takeoffs with the canopy unlatched and both were very scary incidents. The upward pressure felt while holding it closed implied it would go WAY up if a I let go, so I juggled controls with wrong hands - while holding the canopy closed with my right - and returned to land in both incidents. The whole time I was saying to myself out loud, "Fly the plane, Fly the plane ...." Am determined to never let it happen again.
With a tip-up (not a tip-over like on Mark's Rocket) there is no need to hold it closed. It will float open just a few inches. A real non-event.

With the -9, get some altitude, slow the plane down, put out all the flaps, and trim for about 60 Kts. Then you can close the canopy with little struggle. I took off with the canopy unlatched during my Phase 1 as one of my flight tests and found I could easily close it in flight.

PS. If you are going to try this test at home, I suggest you make sure there is nothing in the cockpit that can be sucked out, such as test cards!

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know what happens with a slider that's open?

Again kudos for you to start this thread so the conversation can happen!

For what its worth, I've got two of those hold your canopy open thingies. One holds the canopy about half open as we've all seen, but the 2ed one holds it open about 2 inches. Just enough to let nice cool prop wash in, but also lets enough daylight in, so I see it before takeoff. (No, I don't do this at night):D

A slider on a Rocket, if not latched stays shut from experience.:eek:

I have no plans to repeat the test. It was a very sinking feeling, reaching to unlatch on rollout only to realize I took off and flew 1/2 hour that way.

This was a carry over habit from winter, as I often need to open the canopy 4 inches to scoop air with a gloved hand to de fog the inside of the windscreen just before take off. It was spring time with no need to clear but it was not latched! After that event I have a keen alertness for the prop wash tone present when not latched

Donaziza, what does that device you refer to look like?

Last edited:
6 slider

Closed and unlatched canopy on my 6 will stay closed. It's pretty easy to latch when in flight, just needs a little forward pressure on the bottom edge of the canopy bow/frame. Haven't tried (and not going to) but it feels like it would be very difficult to open in flight.

Thanks for sharing

I thank you for sharing such an easily done "mistake".

I had one once when i had not flown awhile and late for a flight to Edmonton. Went through my checklist to fast, liftoff took place without incident but the plane was sluggish and heavy and would not climb well at all. I had left the carb heat on!

Simple mistakes can cause large probs eh?

Good luck with the rebuild, I know the Kelowna airport well and how HOT it can get for sure.

You know what they say about taildragger pilots, there are those that have ground looped and those that will. I was in the "will" category, and while I would never have said "it couldn't happen to me" I sure didn't think it would happen on take off!

Here is the story. It was 99* F in Kelowna on Monday afternoon when I was leaving for the short (.3) flight home to Salmon Arm. I ignored the checklist item that says ?Canopy Latched? and kept the canopy cracked open to get some air (tipover canopy). Was cleared for takeoff and FORGOT the canopy was still cracked open about a half inch. Full throttle and a bootful of right rudder to keep straight, About a second later as the speed was coming up so did the canopy. Took me by surprise and I instinctively looked at it and reached for it with my throttle hand. During that half second distraction I obviously reduced right rudder pressure and around we went. Fastest 90 degree corner I ever made. By the time I pulled the throttle back to idle it was way too late. Scraped the wingtip as we went around and as I exited the side of the runway the tail came up (don?t know exactly why) and buried the spinner about 6? into the ground just off the pavement. I thought for a millisecond I was going over but fortunately the action stopped there with the tail in the air. I was probably less than 100' down the runway from where I started my takeoff run. You can see the taxiway that provided access to the runway in the picture below. No injuries other than a very bruised ego!

Damage ? right gear leg and the engine mount are bent. Right wing has a wrinkled outboard skin - will need to drill it off to see if the outboard spar is bent. Prop blades are toast and of course the prop hub and the engine will need to be torn down for inspection. Haven't dialed the crank yet but don't hold out much hope - full power strike on the pavement. Right wheel pant (front half) is heavily damaged. Other repairable fiberglass damage around the gear leg fairings and wing tip. Will need a new wheel, actually scraped the side of the rim on the ground and took a chunk off it but the rubber stayed on and it still holds air.

Lesson learned: Build a slider, tipover canopies suck! :D

.............oh, and follow the checklist regardless of how hot it is.

plane_p3055067%20(640x361)%20(428x241).jpg

Thanks for sharing! it happen to me as well...I have a big RED light now telling me if the canopy is unlatched / open..!

I have a post-takeoff clearance verbal flow I use regardless of airplane:

Doors and windows - closed and latched
Seatbelts - on
Trim - set for takeoff
Mixture - set for takeoff

Kind of like the lights-camera-action thing that some people use. Those are the things I figure that can kill you during the takeoff role, so one last double check as I'm taxiing out on the runway.

Scraped a wing on the runway on Sunday, so I feel for ya. Embarrassing as heck no matter what.

Back