What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle crack repair

crabandy

Well Known Member
I had a crack on my #4 cylinder lower/outer baffle wrap just under the oil cooler. I had reinforced the baffling on both sides of the oil cooler, I think this led to some limited flexibility which put some stress on the relief notch when everything was tightened.
7CE3D2C1-5F73-40FC-A833-0FAC7A0C1983_zpsyltkyeb2.jpg

I pulled the corner baffle piece and a added a doubler/patch, any ideas or suggestions on my fix? I don't know why the pic is so crappy, I swear it looks better in person.
89708866-409C-4094-8A97-F1CB503156B8_zpsinszyjm1.jpg

While I had it off I noticed the cylinder fins were already starting to cut into the baffle wrap (narrow baffle cylinder wrap) at 65ish hours. It also appeared to be leaking air out the sides, perhaps I just didn't have it tight enough and let it rub and leak?
8D9F0E07-ACC9-48CA-B73E-ED499C4B4ABA_zpsbfodm9om.jpg

80E20D43-396E-4ACB-A504-BA8845D69FF2_zpslizlrqc8.jpg

Last edited:
As another data point, I had the exact same crack at just about the same HOBBS time. I thought I did a good job strengthening everywhere else around the oil cooler...didnt dawn on me to also add a stiffener in this area. I did a similar fix as you, but mine is temporary until I can spend some time redoing this entire area around cylinder 4.

I also know of higher time RV's that have seen the fins rub completely through the aluminum cylinder wrap.

Is there a fix for this issue - - anyone??

You guys must have a sub-space connection, because I did not see the hobbs for either.

I am sitting here pondering how to proceed on my baffles and whether to go remote on my cooler to avoid baffle cracks. I don't want to apply a new design if there is a real fix for this issue out there. I have seen many "fixes" that have not accumulated hours, but can not find final documentation on one that has worked. I assume parallel and angle valve solutions would be similar and they would be 7 specific.

So - - who has long hours, with a baffle mounted cooler, has solved this baffle cracking issue successfully. Can you share what you did so we can follow in your honored footsteps?

Based on the thread DanH referred me to I decided to try the baffle material as suggested by RV8Squaz. I'm adding the composite cylinder wrap/baffling to my "to do" list, I had the extra baffle material laying around and installed 3 out of 4 lower wraps this morning before work. It was relatively easy to measure/cut/slide the baffle material in place, with the lower ties cinched down I don't think they're going anywhere.
Van's website/phone call provided no specs on the baffling material, I'm going to keep a close eye on it.
8C58F764-0C05-43C0-AB2A-38AF20D31FB4_zpsa2snavgn.jpg

8C174D61-D1A4-43D7-8B46-7438A4BC1373_zps7otiqme5.jpg

DAAD1125-2537-4369-B343-8D650A350F40_zpsvmlgzgii.jpg

Andy, maybe you should glue the rubber sheet into the aluminum wrap with silicone or similar. Don't want the rubber sliding down and closing off the exit area under the cylinder.

Back