What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have a Medium Smoke Canopy from Vans?

jj_jetmech

Well Known Member
Canopies supplied by Van are supplied to them by Airplane Plastics they provide clear, lite smoke, or medium smoke, you can also get the lite smoke with an additional UV coating. This statement may or may not apply to all models.

If you do not specify when ordering you will get lite smoke which is the VLT% meeting FAA max tint limit according to Vans, ok so what! It looks really lite to me! Almost clear! I have asked a number of RV owners what tint their canopy is, most believe they have clear or don't know, or say it's what Van sells... I think most have lite smoke and don't know or know that there was any other option.. There seems to be some confusion in this area..

Called Todd's Canopies to see what he had to offer. He informed me that he does not make a 6,7 or 9 canopy and never has. I have had some 7 and 9 owners tell me they have a Todd's canopy in medium smoke and is great, further confusion, Todd told me personally that is impossible.. Super Nice guy by the way!

I'm building a 7 so okay next call is to Becky at Airplane Plastics, super nice as well, very helpful explains in detail the three options that they supply to Van...tells me that in her opinion the medium smoke is not to dark for night flying that it is the most popular for other aircraft makes in the experimental category and has never had one complaint that it is too dark at night.. She sends me samples...

Received the samples yesterday, I've done a number of comparisons with them and in my opinion the Medium is the way to go, it' really not that much darker, but I only have a 2"x2" sample to work with...

There was a Cirrus on my ramp today and the tint is definitely darker than the lite sample and probably almost identical to the medium sample I was provided.
Ok certified airplane with darker tint than the sample that Vans told me is the legal limit. :confused:

Maybe I'll stop by my Optometrist tomorrow to see if they can help me put a value on these samples..

Anyway..Knowing that the canopy is a lot of work I'm hoping that someone can comment on their experience with the Vans / Airplane Plastics Medium tint Canopy...If it's not a problem at night it would be a huge improvement during the day...

Thanks

Build What You Want

Welcome to the world of Experimental, the land of endless opinions and conflicting information. I used the "Standard" ie what Vans provides....light tint. In my opinion it's not enough, I'd like a little more. I have a second build going and will use medium.

If you have a chance to go to Airventure, take a look around and you'll find installed examples of various tints. Don't over complicate it. Get and build what you want.

Got one

Jason,

I elected to get the medium tinted version (#2514...I believe) for my RV-7. I also contacted Plane Plastics and Van's with similar questions. Van's will have you sign a release if you purchase the medium tint, as it is not within the FAA Standards for night flight. Plane Plastics got my canopy to Van's for packaging in the Finish Kit. I am still building, so cannot comment on characteristics of its visibility, etc.

A friend/ builder in Denver, Ron Duren, also has one and is flying. Maybe he can comment as well. http://ronsrv7project.blogspot.com/

FWIW...I think this canopy will look great on the plane.

As Sean detailed, I did go this exact same route. You will need to specifically ask Van's for this option as they don't advertise it very well. I just got out of phase I and unfortunately haven't done any night flying yet to comment on that flight regime. I also cant really comment on it being cooler in the sun...since my hours under a standard canopy are pretty limited for comparison. In general though, this tint is only marginally darker than the standard version (pics on my blog site). Its enough to notice, but certainly not something I would call 'dark'. I really like the appearance and don't expect it to be a problem for night flight. I would make this decision again, without a doubt. Good luck in your decision.

Jason,

I elected to get the medium tinted version (#2514...I believe) for my RV-7. I also contacted Plane Plastics and Van's with similar questions. Van's will have you sign a release if you purchase the medium tint, as it is not within the FAA Standards for night flight. Plane Plastics got my canopy to Van's for packaging in the Finish Kit. I am still building, so cannot comment on characteristics of its visibility, etc.

A friend/ builder in Denver, Ron Duren, also has one and is flying. Maybe he can comment as well. http://ronsrv7project.blogspot.com/

FWIW...I think this canopy will look great on the plane.

I have a photochromatic visor on my motorcycle helmet, and have often thought it would be an ideal technology for canopies.

Even in direct sunlight I still wear prefer to double up and wear sunglasses. It's clear long before it gets dark because as the sun sets the UV threshold drops off quickly and it's the UV strength that causes the tinting.

As Sean detailed, I did go this exact same route. You will need to specifically ask Van's for this option as they don't advertise it very well. I just got out of phase I and unfortunately haven't done any night flying yet to comment on that flight regime. I also cant really comment on it being cooler in the sun...since my hours under a standard canopy are pretty limited for comparison. In general though, this tint is only marginally darker than the standard version (pics on my blog site). Its enough to notice, but certainly not something I would call 'dark'. I really like the appearance and don't expect it to be a problem for night flight. I would make this decision again, without a doubt. Good luck in your decision.

Hi Ron,

Congratulation on your recent success! I have been following your site for a couple months, nice work! Started my 7 late November, tail complete just flipped the Fuse/Canoe yesterday, QB wing is on the truck headed my way.

I have just this final decisions prior to sending Vans more Money for my finish kit. Canopy tint?

Maybe someone else out there can let us know what there experience has been with the medium tint at night.

Thanks and good luck at paint!

I picked up a medium smoke canopy for my RV-6 rebuild from Jeff and Becky and really like it. The tint is just right IMO.

The canopy I got from Todd for my rocket is a little bit darker but when you're inside the airplane looking out the view is fine. I don't see it being any problem at night.

Last edited:
This was the right choice!!!

This is a follow up to a post and decision I made over a year ago I made this post when ordering my finish kit. I Ordered the Medium Tint and Happy I did!! I haven't flown yet but I have completed the fit and trim of my canopy and preparing now to Sika this thing on.

I have sat in the airplane under the canopy during the day and at night with the protective plastic pulled back. This is not too dark, even at night I think this is going to be perfect!! I think It could actually be a little darker and still be ok at night.

IMHO this is a good way to go if your thinking of the optional darker tint....

This is a follow up to a post and decision I made over a year ago I made this post when ordering my finish kit. I Ordered the Medium Tint and Happy I did!! I haven't flown yet but I have completed the fit and trim of my canopy and preparing now to Sika this thing on.

I have sat in the airplane under the canopy during the day and at night with the protective plastic pulled back. This is not too dark, even at night I think this is going to be perfect!! I think It could actually be a little darker and still be ok at night.

IMHO this is a good way to go if your thinking of the optional darker tint....

I figured you would like it. When is it going to be done? ;)

Back