What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm issue with belly mount ant.

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
My comm is working great. BUT, twice now after taxi out and run up, I pull up to the hold short, call tower and wait...and wait. Finally I figured it out and it seems with the belly mount it is affecting the transmission. If I swing the plane around sideways, no issue. If I call ready to go, before hold short..no issue.

In the air, never an issue. Anyone else find the plane shielding the receiving? Any suggestions or other things I can change as its kind of goofy just blocking sometimes and tower says he could hear ALL my repeated calls.

:confused::confused:

I have had similar experience with my KX155 and bottom mount antennae. I my case, I lost the side tone and could not hear the transmission. As I recall, others could hear the transmission, as in your case. I was also getting a lot of RF interference in the cockpit as indicated by crazy readings on my EIS. Most notably fuel flow.

As I recall, someone very knowledgeable about radios said that lots of feedback can overpower the sidetone electronics in the radio and that can disrupt the side tone.

I found a poor coax connection to the antennae. Fixed that and have not had a problem since.

I also have a top mounted ant to my second comm and often use that for ground comms when taxing to avoid airframe sheilding. It will happen with belly antennae, especially with flaps down.

Last edited:
A common problem

On my 6A if the wing is between the antenna and the CT the tower does not even hear the carrier wave. I have learned make sure my wing does not block the tower and seldom have any problems.

Rick,
recently at the hold short line the tower was unable to hear me. I could hear the tower and others in the pattern could hear me. The tower relayed my instruction for take off thru the approaching plane. I have flown into this tower airport many times with no issues. I assume my wing was blocking my transmission toward the tower.

Keep in mind that sometimes the ground antennas are not mounted on the tower itself. Might help troubleshoot.

My comm is working great. BUT, twice now after taxi out and run up, I pull up to the hold short, call tower and wait...and wait. ......:

What kind of radio do you have? In my -10, both comm antennas are belly mounted for the SL-30 and the 430W...never a problem.

Maybe they just put out a bunch more watts?

Best,

Two Antenna?

Rick, do you have two antenna close together? One can load the other and create a directional issue if they are close to each other. I forget how close is too close, I think it is 1/2 a wavelength or 48 inches. A radio expert here will know. I have a friend with them closer on an rv8 and at times he is very hard to hear even though he is not far away.

Last edited:
Another thing that can affect belly mounted antennas is that most of them are "bent" whips. Com radio signals are vertically polarized. If your antenna is bent so that it is horizontal, transmission will be hampered in two ways.
#1 It is now somewhat horizontally polarized and #2 It is now closer to the ground-plane than it should be.

If you "straighten" the antenna, even just a little, to get it more vertical, that will help considerably.

Last edited:
belly mounted antenna

I had a problem at Destin, FL when flying to Rain N Pain, uhh, I mean Sun N Fun this year. Before takeoff at Destin one must contact the Eglin AFB tower for clearance. While holding short at the end of the runway I could not hear any response to my radio calls requesting clearance. I finally had to call the Destin FBO from my cell phone. They told me they were hearing all of my calls and Eglin's replies. It turned out the surrounding trees combined with my belly mounted antenna were preventing me from receiving their signals. After communicating with the FBO and getting clearance via cell phone I took off. Once I was just 20 or so feet off of the ground I immediately started picking up Eglin.

I do have the bent whip antenna on the belly of my plane that Mel mentioned. I am sure it contributed to the lack of reception in this situation. So far, this incident has been the only time I have had an issue with this problem but even though I do not regularly fly from controlled airports, as I travel in and out of them in the future, I will have to be cognizant of this problem.

My comm antenna is behind the canopy (of my T-18), I would like to add another comm antenna for my iCom A14 and was hoping to mount it close to the existing antenna.

Is that possible? I would only have one radio or the other powered up at a time (if that matters).

You can see from the picture there isn't much room on the turtle deck (click the picture to get a bigger image)

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/252534.html

Rich, Glad to see you are flying. Hey got a question for you. How do you like the Catto prop? Is it quiter and smoother than the 2 bladers?

Ron in Oregon 9A

This seems like a great thread to ask a question I have been pondering. I'm about to start a panel upgrade. I currently have a Comant CI - 2680-206 (VHF /XM) mounted on the top. I'm installing a 430 as the primary com and a King KY-97a as the secondary. I picked up a Comant CI-122 to mount on the bottom. My question is this. I've been told the bottom is the best place for you primary radio and the top is better for your secondary. I want the best antenna on the 430 as primary. THe CI-2680 is high dollar, but does that make it better? Or is it just that the xm adds to the $$$$$? What would be best pared with what?

Last edited:
The following comments are partly speculation on my part. If someone better informed has factual/experiential information, that would be most welcome.

Combo (VHF comm) + (anything) antennas will tend to be more expensive because:
a) Combo antennas are a low-volume specialty item.
b) Extra measures in design, manufacturing, and testing have to be taken to ensure that VHF comm transmission won't induce significant interference onto the other half of the combo. This may include built-in filters, etc.

So a more expensive combo antenna is not necessarily a better comm antenna than a less expensive plain comm antenna. In fact, even between different plain comm antennas, price is probably not a good indicator of antenna quality.

As for top vs. bottom mounting, it seems like a top-mounted comm antenna may do better during ground operations, and a bottom-mounted comm antenna may do better in flight, simply due to a less obstructed line-of-sight. So as to which should be used for the primary vs. secondary radio, well, it depends on your preferred method of juggling your two radios. But presuming that at least in flight you tend to use the primary, then that would support the argument that the primary should get the bottom-mounted antenna.

But other factors could also come into play. Bottom-mounted antennas tend to be of the bent-whip style, primarily for ground clearance reasons (they also tend to have lower aerodynamic drag). All else being equal, a bent-whip antenna will likely not perform as well as a straight whip due to a higher VSWR as well as being further from the correct (vertical) polarization. But all else is not equal, so as they say, your mileage may vary.

Is there any reason to not mount the comm antenna to the bottom of the wings? Just curious as to why no one does it.

-Chris

Is there any reason to not mount the comm antenna to the bottom of the wings? Just curious as to why no one does it.

-Chris
Well, I am not an expert by any means, but my thoughts on wing mounting are that the fuselage location would not require as much cable to run to the antenna. There are also issues with getting the cable through multiple ribs, the spar, etc. when running out to the wings. It is a simpler installation to run to the belly of the plane instead.

My .02.

i had the same issue with the KX155 and SL 40 in my belly mounted antennas....Check your antenna mounting for poper installation. I also noticed that any oil between the antenna base and fuselage, will create exactly the same problems as described! my.02

Under wing mounting

I agree the fuselage may be a simpler installation, but people run cabling for wing tip antennas. I'm just curious if there is a technical reason no one mounts the standard bent whip antenna to the bottom of the wing. It seems like it might give you better spacing between antennas especially on the tandem RVs.

-Chris

Hi, Chris! I've often recommended it on this forum, but I think it's too radical for most. It gives the most separation when using two antennae, and from gear legs, prop, and other stuff, and it gives the best counterpoise (ground plane) area for best distance. But there are very few true experimenters, so you're not likely to see anyone doing it. If you were to decide on this type of installation, be sure to use a really low loss cable such as Andrew FSJ1-50A, which cost about $1.00 less per foot than RG-400 but has more expensive connectors. This cable is known among hams as the premo cable to use. Best!

There is no reason not to mount the antenna on the wings other than the minor ones previously pointed out. i.e running of the cable.
Another consideration is that the wings are "stressed skin", so be sure you are not making them weaker by just drilling holes willy-nilly without proper enforcement.

The guy who developed the MotoPod (iirc) did just this since that big motorcycle pod took up all the real-estate on the fuselage, he had to mount his comm antennas on the wing.

Just an example,

-Jim

Back