What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

english wheel forming for windscreen

1bigdog

Well Known Member
Hi Metal Forming Experts

I bought a small english wheel to work an aluminum windscreen fairing. I've seen some the work others have done and since mine will be a polished aircraft this was inevitable.

Can anyone give me a starting point as to the pattern of shaping through the wheel or the anvils they were using? I know there will be a learning and significant practice curve. Just wondering if there is a good starting point for this rather complex curve. And I've seen this has usually been done with a seam in the middle. I'm guessing it's impractical to shape such a large piece since it might be unmanageable. My plan is to do the targa and aft canopy skins as well but those look more straight forward.

Thanks for the insights.

fairing

I bought my aluminum windscreen fairing from MLblueskunk.com...unfortunately he's not making them anymore.

However, he had a DVD that had the process on it that was available. Maybe try and contact Steve and get the DVD...

gone

I bought my aluminum windscreen fairing from MLblueskunk.com...unfortunately he's not making them anymore.

However, he had a DVD that had the process on it that was available. Maybe try and contact Steve and get the DVD...

Hi Bob

I checked that site before posting. His site just has a note he is shutting down. No other details.

Cheers.

Here is an old thread with some helpful info:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=72404

The thread references an article in a 1997 RVator. Here are the three pages:

metal-windscreen-fairing-1.jpg metal-windscreen-fairing-2.jpg metal-windscreen-fairing-3.jpg

I made one for a non-RV aircraft and these pictures might be somewhat helpful.

windshield fairing pattern VAF.jpg. windshield trim strip fab notes 1 export.001.jpg

The paper pattern shows areas that need the most stretch with the wheel. I used the wheel to tip over the bend in the center of the piece. Not much stretch is needed so start with the lowest crown (largest radius) anvil.

thanks

View attachment 9495 View attachment 9496 View attachment 9497

View attachment 9498. View attachment 9499

The paper pattern shows areas that need the most stretch with the wheel. I used the wheel to tip over the bend in the center of the piece. Not much stretch is needed so start with the lowest crown (largest radius) anvil.

Hi Dave

I've had those 3 pages printed for a long time. I'll look again. My reservation with that approach was the results I had seen using the wood template seemed to be somewhat harsh angles rather than a smooth transition. I guess I could use a hybrid approach and smooth out the sharp angles with the wheel after I have the rough shape.

Thanks.

and for the photo's

View attachment 9495 View attachment 9496 View attachment 9497

View attachment 9498. View attachment 9499

and thanks for the photo's of your paper pattern. Helps give some perspective. I really have no starting point.

Back