What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

25 Hour Chip Detector Debris

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
This what my gearbox chip detector looked like at only 25 hours. It seams to be in limits per the Rotax MM, but wanted to know if any other Rotax owners have seen this in a new engine?

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 209
Looks OK. initial wear-in from the gear hobbing process will cause metal fines. Subsequent oil changes should show less ferrous metal. Good-to-go...

I believe Rotax MM says chips should be less than 1/8" in size...looks normal for 25 hours for break in...

It's normal to have metal in oil, with parts burnishing in together on a new gearbox and a new engine. Sort of a knock off the burrs process of wearing in.

One of the reasons why they recommend a 25 hour oil change on a new motor, to get that stuff out of the oiling system.

Are you running 100LL or Mogas?

Last edited:
It's normal to have metal in oil, with parts burnishing in together on a new gearbox and a new engine. Sort of a knock off the burrs process of wearing in.

One of the reasons why they recommend a 25 hour oil change on a new motor, to get that stuff out of the oiling system.

Are you running 100LL or Mogas?

100% Mogas, will try to stay away from 100LL if at all practical.

100% Mogas, will try to stay away from 100LL if at all practical.

If you stick to mogas, you'll have synthetic motor oil options for running in your Rotax 912iS and extended hr oil change intervals. Also, less oil consumption.

My oil level seems to sit best at about 1/2 to 2/3 of the range on the stick. Above that, it just seems to disappear in 4 or 5 hours of run time, back to 1/2 to 2/3, where it just sits pretty much constant. Some are going up to 80 to 100 hrs on Mobil 1 motorcycle Racing 4T 10w-40 full synthetic, with gearbox additive, between oil and filter changes.

Last edited:
if you stick to mogas, you'll have synthetic motor oil options for running in your Rotax 912iS and extended hr oil change intervals. Also, less oil consumption.

My oil level seems to sit best at about 1/2 to 2/3 of the range on the stick. Above that, it just seems to disappear in 4 or 5 hours of run time, back to 1/2 to 2/3, where it just sits pretty much constant. Some are going up to 80 to 100 hrs on Mobil 1 motorcycle Racing 4T 10w-40 full synthetic, with gearbox additive, between oil and filter changes.

I'm going to stick with the semi synthetic oil because I would like the option on long X-Country's.

Back