What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software 8.72 Now Available 9/9/2020

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We released G3X Touch Version 8.72 to the software download area today. Please note from the list at the bottom that many system LRU's have new software. After updating the software in the PFD1 with the SD card, the display will reset, and at that time it is best to hold down on the Menu button while it starts up in Configuration mode. Go to the System Information page on the PFD1 and watch all devices completing the software update before taking the PFD1 out of configuration mode and verifying proper operation for the updated system.

There are a number of new features included in this update, as well some behind the scenes improvements to improve system function and reliability.

• Includes new GMA 245 software which resolves Bluetooth connectivity issues seen in some installations.

• Adds support for 2 additional FIS-B Weather Products, Graphical AIRMETS, and Center Weather Advisory. These are only available over a Bluetooth connection at this time. Serial datapath support will be included for these 2 newer products in addition to several others in a future update.

GAIRMET-L.jpg

CWA-L.jpg

GAIRMET%20LEGEND-S.jpg

• A new EIS configuration setting can be found by selecting the Display menu in Configuration Mode. EIS / Engine Page Layout affects the behavior of the EIS Strip. When set to Combined the EIS Strip will remain dynamic, and the layout of the strip will vary based on whether or not the ENG tab is open. This is consistent with the way the system has operated in the past. If the setting is toggled to Separate, the EIS Strip Layout remains unchanged and does not respond to the presence of the ENG Menu. The system will default to Combined upon the completion of the software update.

PFD EIS Strip Display, ENG Menu Closed

PFD%20EIS%20Only-L.png

PFD EIS Strip, ENG Menu Open, EIS / Engine Page Layout set to Combined

PFD%20EIS%20Combined-L.png

PFD EIS Strip, ENG Menu Open, EIS / Engine Page Layout set to Separate

PFD%20EIS%20Separate-L.png

This is a link to our G3X Touch Manuals page, you can find the most recent revisions of the Pilot's Guide and Installation Manual here for reference, as well as several other helpful links.

Add support for Kavlico P4055-150G and P4055-5020-4 fuel pressure sensors
Add option to prevent EIS layout from changing when Engine page is visible
Add support for FIS-B Center Weather Advisories and Graphical AIRMET
Improve GTX 23/33 configuration interface
Improve fuel timer and fuel alarm
General improvements to system operation
Includes update to G5 software version 6.75
Includes update to GAD29 software version 3.30
Includes update to GMA245 software version 2.80
Includes update to GMU11 software version 2.10
Includes update to GPS20A GPS software version 2.10
Includes update to GSU25/B software version 4.20
Includes update to GSU25C/D software version 2.50
Includes update to GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)
Includes G5 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GAD13 software version 2.00
Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
Includes GAD27 software version 2.40
Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
Includes GDL5x software version 2.14
Includes GEA24 software version 3.70
Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GI260 software version 2.80
Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GMC507 software version 2.90
Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.00
Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
Includes GSA28 software version 4.70
Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.20
Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.00
Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
Includes GTR20/200 software version 3.30
Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.30
Includes timezone database version 24.00

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Justin

Are you expecting to release a new version of the non-touch s/w in the near term? It seems many of the sub-components have updates and it would be nice to have a way to get these loaded. Also very interested in the new FIS-b weather tools.

Larry

File corrupt?

My Chrome browser where I do all my Garmin software updates never completes this download. It keeps looping the download. I attempted it on Explorer and it got rejected completely as malware.

**Update** I performed the download at home with no issues. We must have new firewall software in our office and it sees something it doesn't like.

Last edited:
My Chrome browser where I do all my Garmin software updates never completes this download. It keeps looping the download. I attempted it on Explorer and it got rejected completely as malware.

The V8.72 G3X Touch software download works perfectly from the Chrome browser that I have always used for these downloads.

Steve

GDU 37X Software

Are you expecting to release a new version of the non-touch s/w in the near term? It seems many of the sub-components have updates and it would be nice to have a way to get these loaded. Also very interested in the new FIS-b weather tools.

Larry

Larry,

Yes there will be an update for the non-touch G3X installations to follow.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin and all -

Thanks for the updates, and I like the engine display changes you made. Having everything on the left change when going to the engine page is not helpful...

Now, if you'd just have the option to change the "analog" MAP and RPM gauges to digital to make room for displaying all 4 CHT/EGT's full time AND the fuel pressure full time... Look at your competitors' screens and please consider letting the user configure how much real estate to use for engine monitoring, with the horizon and maps both active.

Would be great to see a changelog for the other LRU firmware that's getting updated. Is this available somewhere?

I updated firmware this morning - why is it prompting me to update Databases when i put the SD card in with firmware updates? I hit update all and get an error that its the incorrect system ID. there is nothing else on the SD card but the garmin folder with firmware updates.

I updated firmware this morning - why is it prompting me to update Databases when i put the SD card in with firmware updates? I hit update all and get an error that its the incorrect system ID. there is nothing else on the SD card but the garmin folder with firmware updates.

A thought - format the SD card you want to use, FAT32 I believe, then re-run the installation process (PC or MAC).

The G3X may be seeing a hidden file or two on the SD card; formatting it should take care of that.

b

Thanks for the continuous improvements TeamX!!

One request. The ground track dashed line and diamond are VERY hard to see at times. Could you move the magenta triangle to a higher layer in the display? With it being so small, perhaps over the heading bug?

g3xtrk1.jpg

One thing I've found that makes IFR with glass EASY is, when possible, keep the ground track pointer on the top of the arrow head.

Like this, but it is hard to see when all of the indications are near there top.

g3xtrk2.jpg

Here's a competitor's product (Aspen). When they line up, the diamond will show above the arrow head for great clarity.

aspen-diamond.jpg
aspen-diamond2.jpg

G3x touch team

Man! I love this G3X touch! I love getting all these ongoing improvements. Love that I spent the money for a non static system. Great job! Keep all these things coming. Dread the day when we can't improve this product, as I know it will come but hopefully that is many years from now.

Justin,
Does this software version 8.72 connect the FIS-B cloud information on the weather page or do I still need to go into the G3X Bluetooth setup and toggle ON the connection manually? What is the status of receiving all FIS-B information that is currently output in Class B locations in the US? Ice and Cloud information takes 30 minutes to download and can be over one hour old.

I installed the update this afternoon, it went smoothly. It changed my EIS setting, so I had to go into Configuration mode and change it to COMBINED. Haven’t flown yet, but not expecting any problems.

Software update

So, the software update is different than the database update? For the software update, after downloading to the SD card will the G3X automatically update once the card is inserted?

Bear with me, never did a software/firmware update

Yes, the system firmware is the Operating System for the G3x setup. The DB is just your charts that get updated every month.

Software upgrade changed my system ID 😩

I upgraded my software from 8.71 to 8.72 and it changed my system ID. The only way I know is because I tried to update my databases after the upgrade and it told me. Checked my system ID and sure enough it changed. I had a picture of what it was before and now.

Woops, I realize what caused this now. I swapped out the little memory module in the connector from the old non Apple comparable to the new Apple compatible and that changed my system Id. Working with the G3Xperts on this now.

Last edited:
GNX375

Would be nice to get an update to allow full function of the Navigators or GTN through the G3X. At this time, my IPad does infinitely better than my G3X. I can load departures, arrivals and approaches or make any enrolee changes and easily send that to the GNX375. I can load full approaches or easily do airborne route changes but my G3X can't. Makes no sense that an Apple product with 3rd party App (ForeFlight) controls my GNX375 better than a Garmin product. You cannot load any of the above through the G3X.

At the very least, my G3X should do as much as ForeFlight when it comes to controlling the navigator.

I like having the CHT/EGT graph displayed on the PFD EIS strip. I'll stick with v8.71 for now.
+1 for allowing the user to configure the EIS strip in a future firmware upgrade.

FIS-B Weather Products

Justin,
Does this software version 8.72 connect the FIS-B cloud information on the weather page or do I still need to go into the G3X Bluetooth setup and toggle ON the connection manually? What is the status of receiving all FIS-B information that is currently output in Class B locations in the US? Ice and Cloud information takes 30 minutes to download and can be over one hour old.

It is under development, as the FIS-B product package has expanded, we have had to make adjustments to facilitate the data transfer of all of the new products. There will be an update to the system to make this all happen over the RS232 datapath at some point, but for the time being, the newer products are limited to a Bluetooth connection.

You should only have to connect via Bluetooth once, rather than on each power cycle. If you are having to re-connect each time, give us a call at 1-866-854-8433, and we can help you set up the system to auto-reconnect when power is applied.

Thanks,

Justin

Configuration Module/SystemID

I upgraded my software from 8.71 to 8.72 and it changed my system ID. The only way I know is because I tried to update my databases after the upgrade and it told me. Checked my system ID and sure enough it changed. I had a picture of what it was before and now.

Woops, I realize what caused this now. I swapped out the little memory module in the connector from the old non Apple comparable to the new Apple compatible and that changed my system Id. Working with the G3Xperts on this now.

Brian,

Glad to hear you got it all figured out. The SystemID is held in the configuration module, inside the connector for the PFD. This makes it very convenient if you were ever to need to replace a damaged display, but if you change the configuration module out, you will have a different SystemID and flyGarmin would need to be updated with that information for the database updates to load properly.

Thanks,

Justin

EGT/CHT Gauges

I like having the CHT/EGT graph displayed on the PFD EIS strip. I'll stick with v8.71 for now.
+1 for allowing the user to configure the EIS strip in a future firmware upgrade.

Steve,

You can update your system to 8.72, leave the EIS / Engine Page Layout configuration setting to Combined , and nothing will change from your current EIS gauge layout/behavior. Regardless of what you have EIS / Engine Page Layout set to, it only affects the EIS strip while the ENG tab is open. Updating to 8.72 and changing the new setting to Separate will actually display your CHT/EGT gauges more often than it currently does with 8.71, as currently they disappear when you open the ENG tab.

Thanks,

Justin

g3xpert,

Curious why the certified version of the G3X is so many software revisions behind?

It is under development, as the FIS-B product package has expanded, we have had to make adjustments to facilitate the data transfer of all of the new products. There will be an update to the system to make this all happen over the RS232 datapath at some point, but for the time being, the newer products are limited to a Bluetooth connection.

You should only have to connect via Bluetooth once, rather than on each power cycle. If you are having to re-connect each time, give us a call at 1-866-854-8433, and we can help you set up the system to auto-reconnect when power is applied.

Thanks,

Justin
I did change the Bluetooth setting to get the new FIS-B weather data. Thanks

Would you ask you pilot team what average time to obtain FIS-B Cloud and Ice data when linked to Bluetooth?

Just guessing but probably because we are the Beta testers for the certified version :rolleyes:

Exactly. I learned my lesson three years ago on installing the latest G3X Touch software. After that (and subsequent issues like the recent GTX 23ES debacle) I always stay one revision behind or at least give a new version a couple of months before even considering the update.

Possible issue with 8.72

Loaded 8.72 in my G3X touch. Then loaded my chart updates. Now I get Charts unavailable (the sectional charts). Everything else is normal. Have been trouble shooting this with the Garmin experts. Now I need to reload the 8.72 and see if that corrects it and if not I will need to reload an earlier version 8.61 and hopefully one of these will resolve the issue. I will update my results when I get to the hanger tomorrow for another round if which software works...

Loaded 8.72 in my G3X touch. Then loaded my chart updates. Now I get Charts unavailable (the sectional charts). Everything else is normal. Have been trouble shooting this with the Garmin experts. Now I need to reload the 8.72 and see if that corrects it and if not I will need to reload an earlier version 8.61 and hopefully one of these will resolve the issue. I will update my results when I get to the hanger tomorrow for another round if which software works...

Have you perhaps loaded charts that are the next cycle? If so, they won't start working until the day the cycle starts. I did this, banged my head a bit over it. Basically, make sure you have the *current* cycle loaded as well.

I have 8.71 installed (I usually wait a couple weeks before loading new software) and have the same missing charts issue with this DB update (loaded today). Reloading the VFR/IFR charts from the old DB corrects the problem (with out-of-date charts - effective date was 9/10). I'll be contacting G3Xpert tomorrow.

UPDATE 3 hours later: I believe the mystery is solved - it has to do with fly garmin.com tool for building the download. In the website, beside VFR/IFR charts it says "all charts selected". When I clicked on this, I found no areas were selected (I believe perhaps the previous default disappeared, or perhaps this is a new interface option) so no charts were built into the download. Selecting them all and rebuilding the download solved the problem. If you have already uploaded new databases (in my case with "empty" files), you have to do a forced load - boot the G3X, place the DB card in the slot, <menu><menu> select "tools", "databases", <menu>, "update databases", then select only the VFR/IFR charts, then "update". ("empty" charts appear to load instantly whereas with data, the upload takes several minutes)

Last edited:
Thanks Keith. I reloaded my charts double checking the maps were selected. Tomorrow I will take my army of SD’s loaded from charts all the way to 8.61. I will win this battle.

Update*******

Yep the Garmin charts did not load like they have over the last two years. Had to go in and highlight all those charts in fly garmin.
Keith thanks. And to the Garmin Experts thanks for talking the multiple calls and scratching your heads along with mine on this issue.

Last edited:
Bluetooth Wx Bug

Gents -

I really think there is something screwy going on with this latest update and the FIS-B weather over Bluetooth. I have yet to have this consistently work. Went flying again today and weather no longer shows on my PFD wx pages (nothing at all, no nexrad, winds aloft, etc) - constantly waiting for data. Shows up just fine on the MFD via RS232. When it happened, I went into the PFD Bluetooth page and the connection to the 45R was still working.

Does anyone have this working successfully with a dual G3X setup and GTX45R transponder?

Yes long cross country flight today. The WX page display never updated with current WX info. Was receiving data from the 45R Via the 232 and blue tooth. But the map page had weather.

Gents -

I really think there is something screwy going on with this latest update and the FIS-B weather over Bluetooth. I have yet to have this consistently work. Went flying again today and weather no longer shows on my PFD wx pages (nothing at all, no nexrad, winds aloft, etc) - constantly waiting for data. Shows up just fine on the MFD via RS232. When it happened, I went into the PFD Bluetooth page and the connection to the 45R was still working.

Does anyone have this working successfully with a dual G3X setup and GTX45R transponder?

Yes I have had the same issues. This has been a problem especially with the new FIS-B weather products that are connected via Bluetooth like Clouds, Ice and Winds Loft. Why does Garmin use Bluetooth for some but not all the FIS-B weather?

Yes I have had the same issues. This has been a problem especially with the new FIS-B weather products that are connected via Bluetooth like Clouds, Ice and Winds Loft. Why does Garmin use Bluetooth for some but not all the FIS-B weather?

My guess is that they don’t have the RS232 interface for the new products done yet, which is fine... just frustrates the heck out of me that a) they don’t test things better and b) when things don’t work, they tend to blame the installation or something else.

Fuel Pressure readings

I updated G3X to software version 8.72 today. Seemed to go well, except, I now have 26.5 psi of fuel pressure showing with nothing on. No boost pump, no mixture, no engine running. I thought it used to read zero until I hit boost pump on and moved mixture to rich. Anyone else experiencing this?

I’ll contact Garmin tomorrow to see what they say.

Randy,

As a sanity check, how about pushing in the mixture and the throttle to see if the pressure goes away? Is it possible that your system holds pressure very well after shutdown?

Have you checked your fuel pressure gauge? I know they were having issues with those Kavlico sensors breaking... sometimes bursting violently.

Randy,

As a sanity check, how about pushing in the mixture and the throttle to see if the pressure goes away? Is it possible that your system holds pressure very well after shutdown?

As simple as that! Moved mixture in, pressure dropped! Never noticed that before. Always happy when the fix is so simple! Thank you.

Hi Justin or G3xpert,

Not sure if there is any correlation, but since upgrading to 8.72 I'm getting a red X over my transponder on the G3X, intermittently at first, but lately seems to be constant. Perhaps I have a problem with my GTX 23ES transponder but wanted to check to see if there might be a connection to the new software. The transponder appears to be working normally in flight so might be a serial port issue. Thanks.

Hi Pat,

same issue for me, with 8.70 the xpdr ran good.

Have you solved ?

Luke

Hi Justin or G3xpert,

Not sure if there is any correlation, but since upgrading to 8.72 I'm getting a red X over my transponder on the G3X, intermittently at first, but lately seems to be constant. Perhaps I have a problem with my GTX 23ES transponder but wanted to check to see if there might be a connection to the new software. The transponder appears to be working normally in flight so might be a serial port issue. Thanks.

Back