What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hickory, NC

ChuckGant

Well Known Member
Taking the wife to Boone next week. I was going to fly into the little airport in Boone, but now the sister-in-law is picking us up in Hickory, NC.

Does anyone Have any info on Foothills Regional or Hickory Regional? I don’t need a rental car or hotel, but would love to Have the ability to put the plane in a hangar if the weather gets ugly.

Thanks,
Chuck

We're based at 0a9 Elizabethton just Northwest of Foothills Regional. Have stopped in there a few times for weather diversion. It's a nice airport//runway/fbo. Wind can get rough when its blowing over the hill; refer to the little red box caution warning on the sectional West of Foothills regional just below Mountain air. Call them to check but I suspect hangar should be available.

I stop at KHKY Hickory every Friday for self serve on my way home to KAVL. $3.95 yesterday. Rwy 24 is the standard unless the wind is really far off. As the previous post indicated, it is frequently breezy and I will add sometimes surprisingly turbulent on final since the field is in a flat plain. Neither are particular problems. Roland, Jeff and Bud are fine and friendly controllers. There is an FBO but my only interaction has been sitting in the lobby waiting for thunderstorms to pass on a couple of occations.

KMRN KHKY

My RV is based at MRN and my flying club’s 172 is based at HKY. The staff at MRN is the best you will ever meet. Hangar space is tight at both airports, but the guys at foothills will make room if there is any way to make room. Honestly I feel like the guys at HKY would rather be doing something else. HKY does have later hours if that is important, but you can’t beat the hospitality of foothills.

Flew into KHKY week before last, first time there. Awesome controllers. FBO put my 9 in their hangar. Aircraft was fueled as requested when I arrived for departure next day. Can’t say enough good things about the FBO staff and controllers.

Just to close the loop on this thread for future searches...

I ended up flying into KMRN, Foothills Regional Airport, near Morganton, Lenoir and Hickory, NC, for our trip up into the Carolina mountains.

Just like Engineerorange said, you can't beat the hospitality of the staff at Foothills Regional Aviation. They made room in their big community hangar for my RV7, and were very friendly and helpful. Hangar rent was $20/night with some waived for buying fuel, which was $3.65ish/gal.

Overall, it was a great flight and a great stay thanks to the hospitality of this FBO.

Back