What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking For Panel Opinions

Jetmart

Well Known Member
I am in the early planning stages of an IFR panel in a RV-14. Looking for opinions or other options. Must be IFR in Canada so needs two independent navigation means.

I was going with the following for sure.
2- G3X
1- G5
1- GMC 507 auto pilot controller.

In addition to above option 1 or 2.

Option #1:
GTN 650
GNC 355 (GPS & Com)
GTX 45R ( Remote Transponder)

Option #2
GTN 650
GNX 375 (GPS & Transponder)
GTR 20 (Remote Com)

I think both option accomplish the same thing. Is there an advantage of one over the other? Do they all interface well with each other and the G3X? There is roughly a $1000 difference in price which I'm fine with if one option is better than the other.

I don't believe I have enough room in the centre to have a GTN 750, a 2nd GPS, and the auto pilot controller. Also what would the 750 give me over the 650?

Any input would be appreciated.

In today?s environment, ditch the 650 and go with two 175s or the 750 and the 175...but really, who needs VORs and ILS, their going away fast ... your not going to be flying hard IFR anyway...for that matter, why two GPSs??

2 certified GPS boxes is an expensive way to go. I would go with the 375 and a cheap Val Nav box or other used Nav radio for ILS/VOR support to meet the dual independent requirement. WAY less expensive. A used SL30 would work as well and give you a second comm.

Last edited:
I'd suggest finding an experienced instrument instructor with Canadian experience and asking their opinion.

I'm going with a GTX45R to free up panel space, XPDR control will be through the G3X.

With a G3X I see no advantage in the GTN750

In today?s environment, ditch the 650 and go with two 175s or the 750 and the 175...but really, who needs VORs and ILS, their going away fast ... your not going to be flying hard IFR anyway...for that matter, why two GPSs??

I don't necessarily disagree with you however Transport Canada does. They require 2 independent navigation means. A 650 even though it has both IFR gps & VOR/ILS capability its in one box that can fail.

Panel

Good morning Glenn
Just an idea lots of us have used. Think up your panel, know what you want and keep tweaking but dont pull the trigger until 3-6 months from flying. Get your ship built, canopy, glass, wire runs etc but the panel stuff seems to change so fast with newer models that even guys that have their panels being built today are grumpy Garmin just made new models of what they havent even installed yet. Being all tee'd up with expensive boxes sitting in the hangar for very long isnt a good ideal. I hope build is going well.

GTN 750

I am in the early planning stages of an IFR panel in a RV-14. Looking for opinions or other options. Must be IFR in Canada so needs two independent navigation means.

2- G3X
1- G5

Option #1:
GTN 650
GNC 355 (GPS & Com)

Option #2
GTN 650
GTR 20 (Remote Com)

I think both option accomplish the same thing. Is there an advantage of one over the other? Do they all interface well with each other and the G3X? There is roughly a $1000 difference in price which I'm fine with if one option is better than the other.

I don't believe I have enough room in the centre to have a GTN 750, a 2nd GPS, and the auto pilot controller. Also what would the 750 give me over the 650?

These are both good options, and both with interface nicely with the G3X Touch system. Regarding the GTN 750 vs. GTN 650, the GTN 750 will give you a few options that are not available on the GTN 650, but which may not apply to your needs. The GTN 750 can display approach plates, while the GTN 650 cannot. You should have plenty of room on the G3X Touch display to view this information, but it is an option you have. The GTN 750 can also control a GMA 35 remote audio panel while the GTN 650 cannot. In this installation you can get around this by using either a panel mounted audio panel, or a GMA 245(R) which would be remote controlled through the G3X Touch display. They are priced well below their certified counterparts, so it is a great value for experimental aircraft.

Please feel free to send any other questions our way as they come up. You can also reach us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Online Panel Designer

Hey Glenn,

Feel free to utilize my online Panel Designer for laying out your panel! :D

https://www.ehangar.org/

Please let me know if you have an question...BVD

2- G3X
1- G5

Option #1:
GTN 650
GNC 355 (GPS & Com)

Option #2
GTN 650
GTR 20 (Remote Com)

Back