What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix ADSB installs

Affirmative.

Installed the echo UAT w/SkyFyx in my RV4.
Works great, passed the FAA ADSB performance evaluation.

Connects to my iPad, via WiFi without any problem.

Very pleased (so far), and set me back approx $1300 to get 2020 compliance.

Affirmative.

Installed the echo UAT w/SkyFyx in my RV4.
Works great, passed the FAA ADSB performance evaluation.

I plan to install the same system in my -4. Where did you locate the components? uAvionix recommended I put the SkyFyx under the cowl, but I mixed reservations about that location. Pictures would be great!:)

Thanks,

Installed mine with the Grand Rapids SafeFly 2020 GPS. Works great. I have it hardwired to a serial port in my GRT Horizon EX and it talks to my iFly740 or an iPad via WiFi.

Works great! I love the situational awareness it gives, as well as radar weather, METARS and TAFs. I paid about $1400 for the entire set-up. The only thing extra I had to buy was a piece of coax cable for the antenna.

The install was very easy.

I plan to install the same system in my -4. Where did you locate the components? uAvionix recommended I put the SkyFyx under the cowl, but I mixed reservations about that location. Pictures would be great!:)

Thanks,

The WAAS GPS for my Stratus ESG is under the RV-6 cowl. This has been a common location for gps for many years.

Thanks,

Same here, I'd love to see some photos. I'm also planning this install soon in my -4. Thanks!

Thanks,

No photos (yet), but I mounted the GPS antenna just aft of the rear seat, next to an existing antenna for my KLX135A.
Purely a personal decision, I don?t like the idea of mounting under the cowl.
Also, when I built my 4, I stiffened the upper cowl with carbon fiber after the first few flights. I was getting some inflight deformation, so I have concerns about that blocking or at the very least, interfering with the signal.

The Echo UAT is mounted on the side wall of the baggage compartment, that way it?s still visible if/when I need to observe the LEDs.

UAT antenna mounted bottom of the fuselage, below the baggage area. I did this to minimize coax length.

I ?struggled? with deciding on the best location for the UAT antenna, in such a way as to provide the recommended distance from the transponder antenna, easy access to the UAT, and still providing minimum coax run.

I finally just said the heck with it, and installed as noted above.

Only other real option for my airplane were the wingtips.
Quickly ruled that out because it?s a real pain to take mine on & off, and I didn?t like the idea of threading yet another wire (power), through my already over-stuffed wing conduits!

New?

Ok hang on a sec. Whats new about the EchoUAT? Did they recently change something, cause its been on my to buy list for a long time (like a couple of years) and I hadnt heard any newness....

Also, I know there are a bunch of threads on not being able to get the all hard wired set up working properly (ie non-altitude sniffing setup), but hadnt heard the latest.

Are you guys hard wired or sniffing?

There is a new cable from Dallas Avionics that will allow you to operate the system without a sniffer. It essentially multiplexes two serial outputs to one input on the uavionics - one from the GTX327 for squawk code, and one from your serial altitude encoder.

I don't have the multiplexer cable yet - currently running the system with the built in sniffer for alt and squawk.

There is a new cable from Dallas Avionics that will allow you to operate the system without a sniffer. It essentially multiplexes two serial outputs to one input on the uavionics - one from the GTX327 for squawk code, and one from your serial altitude encoder.

I don't have the multiplexer cable yet - currently running the system with the built in sniffer for alt and squawk.

Hmmm. Is that the cable that uses the old Navworx box to get altitude to the Echo? If so, I've heard of that, but its no help to me. All I have is a GRT, a 327, and a 480 for IFR......I'm still not sure that I can get hardwired altitude from the GRT to the UAT......

I've not called Uavionics yet to get the ans cause I'm still a good way from first flight and can wait to the bitter end, and even after.....

Does anyone have the Dallas Avionics harness part number handy? I am
getting ready to install my Echo/safefly2020 in my 6A.

Mine seems to work

The label on my harness says "EchoUAT mux Harness rev A v0.0.6. 115200". I just plugged it in the old Navworx connector. Transponder is a Garmin 327, and altitude comes from a Dynon D100. Echo is configured to NOT sniff for squawk or altitude per the instructions that came with the harness. So far it seems to work well!

Hope that helps.

The label on my harness says "EchoUAT mux Harness rev A v0.0.6. 115200". I just plugged it in the old Navworx connector. Transponder is a Garmin 327, and altitude comes from a Dynon D100. Echo is configured to NOT sniff for squawk or altitude per the instructions that came with the harness. So far it seems to work well!

Hope that helps.

Just so I understand this correctly, the mux puts together ID/mode/squawk from the 327 AND alt encoded data from your source (a GRT in my case), then you pump that into the Com1 Rx Pin4 of the Echo right?

Then GPS goes in Com2 Rx Pin6 and out comes traffic on Com2 Tx Pin5....and voila, hardwired ADSB In/Out to your EFIS.......errr right?

If thats all correct, whats the price on the mux...? Id heard that Uavionix was shipping them free with a new Echo.....

No photos (yet), but I mounted the GPS antenna just aft of the rear seat, next to an existing antenna for my KLX135A.
Purely a personal decision, I don?t like the idea of mounting under the cowl.
Also, when I built my 4, I stiffened the upper cowl with carbon fiber after the first few flights. I was getting some inflight deformation, so I have concerns about that blocking or at the very least, interfering with the signal.

The Echo UAT is mounted on the side wall of the baggage compartment, that way it?s still visible if/when I need to observe the LEDs.

UAT antenna mounted bottom of the fuselage, below the baggage area. I did this to minimize coax length.

I ?struggled? with deciding on the best location for the UAT antenna, in such a way as to provide the recommended distance from the transponder antenna, easy access to the UAT, and still providing minimum coax run.

I finally just said the heck with it, and installed as noted above.

Only other real option for my airplane were the wingtips.
Quickly ruled that out because it?s a real pain to take mine on & off, and I didn?t like the idea of threading yet another wire (power), through my already over-stuffed wing conduits!

Hi Derrick,

Thanks so much for the details. A couple of clarifying questions:

I assume the "existing antenna for my KLX135A" is also a GPS antenna? Are both on the aft top fuselage skin and under the canopy? How much separation did you achieve?

You indicated the UAT antenna is mounted on the belly, underneath the baggage compartment. I have received recommendations that these two antennae (UAT & Xponder) should be at least 1 meter apart. A meter forward or aft of that would be inconvenient for me... How much separation do you have for these antenna?

Thank again!

Maniago... can't speak to your specific pin outs... but you have the essence correct. Just order the system at $1090 and tell them you need the free MUX cable with the units. Please have your Navworx serial number handy. Ask for Miguel. It is far simpler than most think. They weigh nothing. I put mine in with velcro. Confg. takes minutes and my compliance report came back positive after a 15 minute flight near a ground station.

Uavionix Skybeacon UAT?

Any post install PAPRs?

How well does the sniffer work for a normal old Mode C transponder?

Maniago... can't speak to your specific pin outs... but you have the essence correct. Just order the system at $1090 and tell them you need the free MUX cable with the units. Please have your Navworx serial number handy. Ask for Miguel. It is far simpler than most think. They weigh nothing. I put mine in with velcro. Confg. takes minutes and my compliance report came back positive after a 15 minute flight near a ground station.

Pin outs I mentioned are the Echo pinouts, not my specific gear. And I dont and never have had a Navworx box. Does that make a difference to the hardwired implementation? Mine is a fresh install: 327, GRT, 480 for GPS......

Mine is sniffing the code because I?m using a TSO gps for position. I had some problems with baro altitude fails and had to adjust it. I then had good reports but now I?m back to baro fails again. I?m hoping there is a solution to hard wire this thing. Guess I?ll call Dallas or uAvionics tomorrow and see if there is a fix.
Tim Andres

I had horrible experiences all the way around with the Echo, but fixed most of the issues by building a GDL90 filter/converter box that also allows transponder and altitude encoder input for the Echo. There will be more information on it that I'll be posting towards the end of June and it's potentially something that I'll open-source out so that others can have the fixes too. Without it, the Echo is not a system I'd be happy with. Some of the issues are fixed behind the scenes by AFS/GRT/Dynon, for users of their systems, but most do not address the root cause...bad software on the Echo.

Anyway, more to come later. PM me if you want me to email you later, and shoot me your email address. Or email me if you wish. I'll be doing an extensive test flight in less than 2 weeks that'll cover a few thousand miles with 2 planes, and once that is done, I may share the project.

I had horrible experiences all the way around with the Echo, but fixed most of the issues by building a GDL90 filter/converter box that also allows transponder and altitude encoder input for the Echo. There will be more information on it that I'll be posting towards the end of June and it's potentially something that I'll open-source out so that others can have the fixes too. Without it, the Echo is not a system I'd be happy with. Some of the issues are fixed behind the scenes by AFS/GRT/Dynon, for users of their systems, but most do not address the root cause...bad software on the Echo.

Anyway, more to come later. PM me if you want me to email you later, and shoot me your email address. Or email me if you wish. I'll be doing an extensive test flight in less than 2 weeks that'll cover a few thousand miles with 2 planes, and once that is done, I may share the project.

All of Tims points are valid, and hes done a lot of homework on this - I got a good schooling from him when we discussed it on the 480Yahoo.
For completeness for future readers, copy and paste below of what I posted there in March when I talked to GRT. Nice work Tim!
---
"As a quick follow up, the GRT engineers agreed with Tims comments and have implemented EFIS s/w to accommodate those know short comings....basically:

1) All the inexpensive UATs both break the GDL90 protocol in someway, and simply blast out what they hear (what defines inexpensive? who knows......)
2) GRT EFISs do coasting and have since 1090ES reception came into focus
3) GRT EFISs have a user selectable Altitude filter; already does "some" priority/distance processing with a user selectable filter is in the development queue
4) Serial thru put is definitely an issue. Uavionix is supposedly "looking" at some filtering here. On the GRT side, 5 of the 8 ports (and USB) on the HXr accommodate up to 256000 baud; obviously moot if the receiver cant send that fast.

Seems like a good enough warm fuzzy for my application. I'll still wait till next year before putting out more AMUs on this."
------
...and I'm still on the fence wrt to the Echo.....

Tried to install the skybeacon on my 6a but the wingtip lens too small. But I will say the folks at Uavionix are amazing! Great customer support.

D

All of Tims points are valid, and hes done a lot of homework on this - I got a good schooling from him when we discussed it...I'm still on the fence wrt to the Echo.....

Yah I was all ready to buy the Echo when I read about the problems Tim has documented and his fixes for same - so I am going to wait to see if uAvionix fixes these problems - not interested in a device with all the shortcomings that the echo has. If Tim goes open source with his filtering box or offers it for sale that might be another avenue - to use that in line to address the issues with the Echo...

Hi Derrick,

Thanks so much for the details. A couple of clarifying questions:

I assume the "existing antenna for my KLX135A" is also a GPS antenna? Are both on the aft top fuselage skin and under the canopy? How much separation did you achieve?

You indicated the UAT antenna is mounted on the belly, underneath the baggage compartment. I have received recommendations that these two antennae (UAT & Xponder) should be at least 1 meter apart. A meter forward or aft of that would be inconvenient for me... How much separation do you have for these antenna?

Thank again!

Yes, they are both GPS antennas, mounted on the top of the fuselage, under the canopy. They are mounted "in-trail", as close as I could physically get them. I'm not particularly worried about interference between the two since they are passive.

I don't have the measurements handy but my existing transponder antenna is mounted maybe a foot or more aft of the firewall, centered on the belly skin, (between the battery & that first bulkhead). The UAT antenna is just aft of the forward baggage bulkhead, off to one side so the cable will not interfere with the elevator push-rod.

Someone else asked if I was "sniffing",, affirmative. I have a KT76A, so that's the only option I have at the moment.

Performance reports all came in green with no "tweaks" required.

Hope this helps,,

Any post install PAPRs?

How well does the sniffer work for a normal old Mode C transponder?

Moose, as Derrick said above, yeah it does work with old C boxes and that is the selling point IMHO - 1/3 the cost of the next best I/O panel-mount solution....afterall anything I/O is better than zero I/O.

What were crabbing about here is we want better than meh at the cheap end that the FAA "kinda" promised us.....and I personally think we can get it with the Echo box and the dime a dozen 327 Xpdr hardwired....but not with the current "fill the gap" Echo version.

Echo, Skyfx, Sniffing G327

and all continue to work well --- I usually ask for the FAA report every two or three months ---- no issues. I display weather and traffic on my AFS 5600T and iFly 740 ---- only occasionally do I get a traffic "blink" on a target, but only for a for a few seconds.

Ron

Adapter to wire to transponder while using TSO'd GPS

Hey guys,

I've installed 5 echoUATs on various E-AB airframes and have another 5 lined up. I just wanted to let you know, in case you weren't already aware, that uAvionix makes a special interface adapter harness for GTN/GNS/IFD installs that allows you to establish a wired connection for transponder control WHILE also using the echoUAT's com 2 input for TSO'd/ADS-B+ position data. Just give them a call and they'll send in the mail to you. Dallas avionics may also have access to them.

Good luck, fly safe.

Chris

Hey guys,

I've installed 5 echoUATs on various E-AB airframes and have another 5 lined up. I just wanted to let you know, in case you weren't already aware, that uAvionix makes a special interface adapter harness for GTN/GNS/IFD installs that allows you to establish a wired connection for transponder control WHILE also using the echoUAT's com 2 input for TSO'd/ADS-B+ position data. Just give them a call and they'll send in the mail to you. Dallas avionics may also have access to them.

Good luck, fly safe.

Chris

Is that the mux box ........or something else..??

Please could you detail your install pin outs?

As such, I'm seeing the following as the way to go:

327 mode/sq/ID + Alt encode ->mux-> Com1 Rx (pin4)
GPS-> Com2 Rx (pin6)
Echo traffic out Com2 Tx (pin5)-> EFIS

Thanks for any specifics.

Their harness was a good improvement indeed, but, it does have limitations. Mainly because you only have 2 COM ports to choose from on the Echo when it comes to baud rates, and if you use 9600 baud on one, your other one can only use one other baud rate.
For instance, in one of my planes I have a suitable ADSB+ GPS source I could have used and one I didn't. My Encoder and Transponder are 9600 baud. My EFIS requires 38,400. But on the plane without ADSB+, the GPS is the SkyFYX at 115,200. No good there. I have the same setup in both planes, so I didn't worry about the ADSB+ GPS.

If they would have built the Echo with 4 serial port inputs, all with their own baud settings, it could have been much easier to come up with ideal installations. As is, not everyone can reap the benefits of the new active harness.

Back