What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do we have another build in us at 59

Rick of Austin

Well Known Member
Greetings everyone, it's been years since I posted but now I have the bug again. Building my ?6 20 years ago kicked my butt, I remember the long nights for years, tennis elbow, aches and pains in my shoulders etc. in the end it was all worth it and I loved that airplane.
Now at 59 I'm feeling very well but not sure I have what it takes to spend another three or four years in the workshop or whether or not my elbows and wrists can take it.
My days of getting a second wind at 10 PM and staying in the shop till two in the morning are over?
Are there many other builders my page with the same concerns?
Heaven forbid I would build something other than a RV just to get something easier to build like a Rans S-21.
Thanks,
Rick Smith

I'm 52. Finished a -6 about 16 years ago when I was a bachelor. Enjoyed the building process (but had a few "moments" and many long nights). Now that I have a family, the -6 doesn't have enough seats, and I'm well into building a -10. The kit is much bigger, but also much easier.

I do struggle with the lack of dimensioned plans on the -10. Everything is isometric drawings instead. So if you want to make a custom bracket or something that requires a little thought, you have to go to the shop and measure it, as opposed to referring to the drawings in your desk at work...

Also, this time around, I'm buying an engine, not building my own, and I'm probably going to have an airplane friend painter paint the thing. I don't think my wife would put up with the months-long reek of solvents that DIY painting involved on my -6.

Beyond that, I don't do the late night thing much anymore. Back in the day, I'd get home at 6 and work until midnight or 1 AM. Now, I'll put in 2-3 hours an evening after my son is in bed. On weekends, I'll stretch it a little later if I'm trying to finish an assembly or something, but I don't do 6 hour build sessions anymore, which has <so far> eliminated problems (cleco hand) from repetitive motion...

Long story short, I'm taking a more relaxed approach to this one. I'm able to do that without upsetting the apple cart around our family life.

Not sure this answers your question, but I thought it might help.

I am thinking about starting another airplane build, I'm 61.
I decided that I enjoy building, otherwise I couldn't have finished the RV-8.
Now I'm thinking about building a modified Laser 2300 ackro ship.
Anyway, my point is, if you enjoy building, you don't have to worry about finishing...it will happen, but you still have a good time if it doesn't.

Sounds like a quickbuild Van's kit would solve your problem. Another possibility is an RV-12, which goes together faster than the other Van's kits that aren't quickbuilds.

Well, there is no way I can tell what you are capable of doing, but I can relate my own personal situation.

I was almost your age when I started the 10---been flying it now for 6 great years, and plan to sell it and build another plane when my wife retires. This will put me at 69 or 70 when I start the next one.

And the choice at the moment includes the RV 14, and Rans 21.

I'm closing in on 79 and starting

I have about 5 RV's under my belt since 1984 and currently fly an RV-4, which is what my first build was, but the aircraft I now own, I built at least half of helping a friend completed in 1992. My friend died in 2008 and I purchased it from the estate.

Earlier this year I decided I needed another project and decided on a totally scratch built Thatcher CX5 (all metal 2-place), building everything myself, using the skills developed in the last 32 years building RV-4, 6A, 7 (quickbuild), RV-9A and RV-12.

I don't plan on taking any longer than 2 years to complete the Thatcher.

So, yes you've got a lot of useful years left, if you can convince yourself that you're not too old.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

Started my RV8 at 61, finished at 65 and still flying it at 70. Plan to fly it for many more years and still thinking about another build (RV3?).

I'm about to turn 74 and working on a scratch built bi-plane. Granted I've been working on it for over 10 years but the long build time has nothing to do with age. It has more to do with available time. I have built eight airplanes, rebuilt several more, certificated around 900, and inspected hundreds more.
I have no intention of stopping as long as I'm able.

I'm 60 and in the midst of building a Hatz Classic. Wouldn't have it any other way. Love the challenge/process.

62 and just started my third RV. It will not be my last as my son and son-in-law are both Naval Aviators and they have plans for me to build for them.

The second RV was a 10 and I still had the day job - both pushed the build out to five years. The current RV-8 slow build project should be 18 months or so. The slowest part so far was the four month wait for the kits to arrive.

Carl

Greetings everyone, it's been years since I posted but now I have the bug again. Building my ?6 20 years ago kicked my butt, I remember the long nights for years, tennis elbow, aches and pains in my shoulders etc. in the end it was all worth it and I loved that airplane.
Now at 59 I'm feeling very well but not sure I have what it takes to spend another three or four years in the workshop or whether or not my elbows and wrists can take it.
My days of getting a second wind at 10 PM and staying in the shop till two in the morning are over?
Heaven forbid I would build something other than a RV just to get something easier to build like a Rans S-21.
Thanks,
Rick Smith

Rick:
We are the same age. I am 59.5 turning 60 this year. The RV-6 I build and fly will be 20-years old September 2017.

I started an RV-8 last year. Wing kit was delivered to my hangar November 2016. Moving parts to my heated garage for construction. Started working on it this month.

I kind of look at building that I need to build to keep my mind and body active. Yes there is arthritis pain in my hands if I use them too much. Yes there is a through tear in one of my rotator cuff muscles that can get irritated if I over use it. IF I do not build this project these and other body parts will degrade.

It is my opinion that I need this project to keep everything working in my body. I was able to keep my mind active for a while putting together and making a Hackintosh work but I really love doing metal work.

Being retired, I can work on the project when I want or however I make my own daily schedule.

go for it, Rick

I, too, built a -6A from bauxite 20 years ago, a RANS S-12 before that, and I've been piddling with the half-built -10 kit I bought for about a year now and barely making progress on it. But the elephant IS getting eaten, and it is enjoyable - as long as I keep peace in the valley by demonstrating that my wife and step kids are important to me and still get first dibs on my time and energy, which at 60.5 is not quite, but almost, 100% of what it used to be. Make sense? This is for our retirement years when the -6A is replaced by an even more capable magic carpet that will hold the grand-kids, or 350# of camping gear, or shopping bags from Macy's. :)

Slow and steady wins the race.

Started a slow build -8 two yrs ago at 68 and am well along on it now. When you get older along with physical exercise, you need to exercise your mind too and building an airplane is about as good a way as I can come up with. Now if I can just find that tool I just put down......

Ah you young kids and your complaints. I turn 80 this year, and just got my AW certificate for my RV12 this week, took almost 6 years to finish!
I think this might be my last one, not sure yet. I agree strongly with those that claim keeping your mind busy is important - very important! My build was not my life - but just an enjoyable part of it, even the wife don't complain if you put things in proper perspective. Body parts hurt, you fall asleep at the workbench at 2200 or so, but I want to tell you these last 6 years of building have been some of my most enjoyable years of life! Go for it!

Rick
I started on my 14A at 60. Add this tool to your collection.
Pneumatic cleco installer.
2ym83sp.jpg

Start hanging around with aviators that are in their 80's. My octogenarian friends call me a young buck. Great motivation.

I sure hope so!

Just started an RV-10 and also took on an RV-7A project. I'm 59 and a first time builder.

If I'm too old, I just wasted a bunch of time and money!

I'm 60 and just finished my 9A a little over a year ago. I might start another one in the future like others have said. However, I've turned my need to have a project to a ground up restoration of a '67 Austin Healey 3000. Seems like most airplane guys are car guys too. I'd say go for it!

I'm 71 and on my second build, this time with a partner. The main disadvantage with the first build was too many solitary hours in the shop.
Almost forgot how to talk.
Flying is great but there is nothing quite like building.

Go for it Rick, it is good for the mind....started slow build 8 at age 73, enjoyed every minute of it. Even learned how to land a tail dragger in the process.

Will be 78 in a few weeks, thinking about another build but that's probably all I will do about that, think about it. :)

If you love it, do it! It's good for the soul! Take it at your own pace and keep it fun. I'm 52 and just finished a 7A just a month ago. I'm already planning another. Wife said I need to build another because I'm already driving her crazy with my spare time! :D

Hmm..... 59? Gawd, I hope that's not too old to be building airplanes! I'm just now getting to the point to where I have the time and money to enjoy building.

I'll finish my -8 in about 2 years. I'll be 60. I'm already planning on building another airplane, maybe 2.

Of course its not too late! My grandpa was starting projects until the day he died. I hope I can do the same!

The big thing is you have to love what your doing. I love building/working on airplanes and thats why I do it. I fly every day for work and although I enjoy it, the building aspect of my project is what gets me excited. I guess if your strictly building to fly then perhaps an already built or quick build is the way to go....

I'm 61 and just starting on a -14a. But more importantly - as a physician and in general life experience, one thing I have learned is that goals, activity, and projects keep people "younger" and healthier. How many of us know someone who was very active and healthy then retired and started doing "nothing" and didn't live much longer?

Of course there are exceptions like unexpected illnesses, but the mind-body (perhaps just as importantly, "heart-body") connection is real. I find myself spending hours in the garage tinkering away on this project, waking up sore but feeling better than I have in years. I have immense respect and take strong lessons from folks like Mel and "Don from Texas" to whom age is nothing but a number. I say "go for it"!

Last edited:
Rick:
We are the same age. I am 59.5 turning 60 this year. The RV-6 I build and fly will be 20-years old September 2017.

I started an RV-8 last year. Wing kit was delivered to my hangar November 2016. Moving parts to my heated garage for construction. Started working on it this month.

I kind of look at building that I need to build to keep my mind and body active. Yes there is arthritis pain in my hands if I use them too much. Yes there is a through tear in one of my rotator cuff muscles that can get irritated if I over use it. IF I do not build this project these and other body parts will degrade.

It is my opinion that I need this project to keep everything working in my body. I was able to keep my mind active for a while putting together and making a Hackintosh work but I really love doing metal work.

Being retired, I can work on the project when I want or however I make my own daily schedule.

Gary, we might be twins (60 next July and at about the same stage on the build)... and of course we are all brethren here. Many similar stories... My body issues are similar; age is having its way with my vision and hearing and I have arthritis in my knees, feet, elbows and hands from many years of physical labor. And although I was lucky enough to retire early in 2000, the past 17 years have not been kind to body or my mind, either. I have my doubts too; can I really face and conquer this challenge... or is it just going to end up a huge, expensive, botched project I'll never finish?
Well, darn it, I'd better be able to finish it... this constitutes the biggest part of my bucket list; I've held the dream of building and flying my own aircraft for three decades now. There have been many delays, distractions and setbacks over the years, and the time and and opportunity is finally here now. This is the biggest life goal I've ever set for myself, and I'm not going to let myself down. I've worked hard to lose a lot of weight in the past two years to get myself into flying shape and ease the strain on my joints; despite the aches and pains, my overall health has improved a lot. I renewed my third class medical and regained my currency. I've tooled up and gotten started, and it feels good to be working steadily and making progress on something that I will enjoy for the rest of my life. And to be honest, it helps me keep my sanity. There is so much going on in the world that I find disturbing and discouraging. My mantra for maintaining my mental health has been to keep my head down and keep building my airplane. That may sound selfish... but we all do what we have to do to survive. This project is helping me survive.

I'm 63 years old and started building an RV-10 in May of last year (2016) as my retirement project. This project has replaced my previous job, and I work on the plane about 30 - 35 hrs/week M-F and take the weekends off. I'm using the QB fuselage and wings in order to shorten the total build time, and just started work on the Finishing Kit last month.

Just work at a steady pace, and I think you will find that the muscles while sore initially will slowly improve as you use them.

Best of luck with the new project.
Dave M.

All of you youngsters - the future is now.

I started building an RV-7 in the fall of 2014 at age 80. It will be flying this year. There is still a lot of flying to do!

At 31 I started a RV6, finished at 37. Sold at 43. Took some time off from flying. now at 52 I'm reving back up for another RV build. I will decide the model soon.
It will be a leisurely build hoping to complete by 60 all cash, parts payed for. Lookin to retire hangin out at the airport listening to airplane noise, hanger flying. I miss flying with my SoCal buddies. Hopefully catch up to you all in the future soon. Not sure what ever happen to my wonderful RV-6 N164JH (yellowtail) The guy I sold it to in San Jose, sold it as parts! If anybody knows of it's whereabouts please PM me. it was in the Van's calender april 2005 and on the Van's t-shirt. Oshkosh/Arlington award winner. Age doesn't matter just build on! It will test your every emotions but in the end when that first flight happens you will have sense of accomplishment like no other, oh yeah at the "RV grin".

Building later in life.

Just turned 61 and it's never occurred to me that I might be too old to consider starting a new build. Hasn't really sunk in that I might be considered "old". So far everything still works and mobility is good. After the 9 is done I would like to have either a lightweight bare bones 4 to throw around or real serious off-road type flying machine. I like to stay busy so as long as I can move something will be happening in the shop.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Wow, you got me by several years there! So good to know I am NOT the oldest builder around.

QUOTE=KJBSouth;1140286]I started building an RV-7 in the fall of 2014 at age 80. It will be flying this year. There is still a lot of flying to do![/QUOTE]

Well

I am 62 and into a six year build. Tired, poorly motivated I will finish but you can bet that it is my first and LAST

I have about 5 RV's under my belt since 1984 and currently fly an RV-4, which is what my first build was, but the aircraft I now own, I built at least half of helping a friend completed in 1992. My friend died in 2008 and I purchased it from the estate.

Earlier this year I decided I needed another project and decided on a totally scratch built Thatcher CX5 (all metal 2-place), building everything myself, using the skills developed in the last 32 years building RV-4, 6A, 7 (quickbuild), RV-9A and RV-12.

I don't plan on taking any longer than 2 years to complete the Thatcher.

So, yes you've got a lot of useful years left, if you can convince yourself that you're not too old.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR
Jake I didn't know that you were that far up the scale! Yep you have quality workmanship but I thought you might run for chapter position.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Thanks,
Rick Smith
Hi Rick, We have a gentleman who started his RV9A at the age of 86 and finished it at age 92 and that was 3 years ago. I firmly believe it keeps your minds coordination in check. And yes the plane flies beautifully! He has been the go to man for 3 of us builders. Rick feeling useful yet??!! Yes he was a mentor and yes mine RV9A first flew in September after 8 years. Yes it was my hobby and yes you'll drop your tools when other pilots come over to b_ll___t. It's just the way it is.

Ron in Oregon

I'm about to turn 74 and working on a scratch built bi-plane. Granted I've been working on it for over 10 years but the long build time has nothing to do with age. It has more to do with available time. I have built eight airplanes, rebuilt several more, certificated around 900, and inspected hundreds more.
I have no intention of stopping as long as I'm able.

I like your attitude Mel, and you are right, as long as you are able, go for it! Thanks for the great advise you give on this forum!

Build on!

70 now and would love to get another Build going,,, but I am helping 5 others at this time. Enjoying every minute of it. I have the auto cleco tool.

64th year

64 years old this year; building an RV-8 AND getting my private pilot's license. It's only a number as long as you are healthy. Never stop dreaming or playing. It is then you will be old.:D

It's all in how you feel and how active you are.I just turned 79 ,started taxi testing my -4 after an 8 year build,also just retired from my 3rd career of driving school bus for 11 years.Also have helped with -6 and a panther.Tom

Do we have another build in us

I just have to jump in here on this very truthful and enlightening topic. I'm 67 and I'm anxiously waiting for my next build to start which will be the S-21. When I retired from building exhaust systems and turned everything over to Clint, I wasn't sure if I could handle not working 12 hour days. I got a panther kit and built it in one year, which I call my transition year from working to retirement working. Ya it was a total enjoyment to get up in the morning and do exactly what I wanted to do that day.
So here is the key point-if you enjoy building like I do, retired or not, go for it, it keeps your mind and hands busy. If building is a real chore and not fun- well then you might consider doing something else.
Like some others have already posted, age is just a number, and by the way, I recognize or know many of the guys that posted on this one. Glad to hear your doing well. Exhaust guy

Do we have another build in us ?

Finished first build an RV-6 in 2000 at age 62, the second build an RV-7 in 2005 at age 67, the third build an RV-10 in 2008 at age 71 and fourth a RV-9A in 2011 at age 74. At 79, I don't think I want to start another long term project. Still flying the 7 that just turned 1060 hrs. Spend time now maintaining the 7 and a Cessna 170B that we have had for 46 years. Having an A&P, also do condition inspections occasionally. They tell me age is just a number.

Age is timeless doing what you enjoy!

It's has nothing to do with age when the desire to build is in your blood!! I have been told many times I seem to like to build things more than I like to fly. Just look at the repeat offenders. This is mind stimulating work building airplanes and the happiness of refining your next project into a true beauty. As we age we all have more issues that slow us down a bit but it's perservance that gets the end means and damned the pain of configuring the body to fit the unbelievably tight places.
George

Back