What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

51%

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
Let's say that there are 75 to 100 people who help with the build of your RV kit airplane. Such as in a school class room setting (aviation dept.), over a number of semesters. In addition, a number of friends help with the build. While 51% of the plane was built at an amateur level, it was a group effort.

Any problem here?

Let's say that there are 75 to 100 people who help with the build of your RV kit airplane. Such as in a school class room setting (aviation dept.), over a number of semesters. In addition, a number of friends help with the build. While 51% of the plane was built at an amateur level, it was a group effort.

Any problem here?
The regs require the plane to be 51% amateur built. It could be built by 1001 amateurs, each putting in one hour and it will meet the requirement.

Repairman certificate

But under these circumstances, would anyone be able to get a repairman's certificate?

But only one per plane.

Didn't mean to imply otherwise. My point was any member of a group build, regardless of their level of participation in the build, as long as they set one rivet and are listed as one of the builders, can qualify to receive the repairman's certificate. But you are 100% correct that for E-AB only one certificate can be issued per airframe.

Last edited:
But only one per plane.

As Todd says, any one of the listed builders may obtain the repairman certificate as long as he/she can show that he/she is capable of competently performing the condition inspection.

Let's say that there are 75 to 100 people...

As I recall, there is nothing in the rules that says they have to be people. I think if you can train ferrets to do the work, it's fine. You just can't pay the ferrets--that would count as commercial assistance.

The regs require the plane to be 51% amateur built. It could be built by 1001 amateurs, each putting in one hour and it will meet the requirement.

A good example is EAA's One Week Wonder, where hundreds (or more likely thousands) of people each set one rivet on the plane.

Out of curiosity, what does one have to do to prove they have the knowledge?

Fill out the paperwork with some semblance of accuracy. Remember:
Paperwork.jpg

:D

Last edited:

Fill out the paperwork with some semblance of accuracy. ;)

That depends on the issuing FSDO. A lot of times the same inspector who did the AWC inspection is the one issuing the Repairman's Cert so they know pretty much the applicants level knowledge assuming they are present at the AWC inspection. Some apparently just hand in the paperwork and get issued the Cert. in my own case, I had a different inspector than the guy who did my inspection so I spent over an hour answering maintenance related questions before the new guy was satisfied I had enough expertise to safely conduct a condition inspection.

Like Todd says, It depends on the inspector. Also when I certificate an aircraft, I write the applicant a letter of recommendation stating that he/she has satisfactorily shown evidence of competency. It gives the ASI a "warm-Fuzzy". I'm not aware of any individual that submitted my letter who did not receive the repairman certificate.

Repairmans Certificate

There was one case quite a few years ago where IIRC there were husband and wife builders of two Christen Eagles. After the husband passed away the wife got a repairmans certificate for her husbands airplane. It was some kind of special exemption which required a lot of time and effort.

Don't hold me to the exact details on this, it was long ago and I would not know where to find the details.

There was one case quite a few years ago where IIRC there were husband and wife builders of two Christen Eagles. After the husband passed away the wife got a repairmans certificate for her husbands airplane. It was some kind of special exemption which required a lot of time and effort.

Don't hold me to the exact details on this, it was long ago and I would not know where to find the details.

If this was done, it was not within the regulations.

Sounds like my former next door neighbor. Were they in MSP?

Back