What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 in an Estate Auction near me

GotWake

I'm New Here
I'm new here. I'll be taking my checkride next month. So, I'm getting close. :D

Anyway, there's an estate sale near me and I noticed there was a RV8 in it. I've been admiring the RVs since I started on my PPL. I think I will get an appointment and check out the logs to see who built it. The owner passed away a little over a year ago. Hopefully, it hasn't been sitting and not being flown that whole time. Any suggestions on what to look (problems) for?

Hire an RV experienced person to do a prebuy inspection. There are several within an RV flight of you who are qualified and willing. Search "prebuy inspection" .

Welcome to VAF!

Tony, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Secnod the suggestion to hire a qualified person who is familiar with the RV line.

Here is a list of folks by location-------not familiar with your area, nor where the plane is, so best if you look for someone in the area.

Couple names come to mind-----could be close or not so close. All off the top of my head, so hopefully I am not butchering names too bad......

Vic Syrcuse.

Dan Horton.

Rick Gray.

Brian Chestain

Pierre Smith.

I tried to list folks in your general area, this is only a short list of folks who would be good to talk to about an inspection.

Good luck with the check ride.

Last edited:
Yep

Depending on where you are in N.C. There is a guy at 8A7 that may be able to look at what you have. His name is Jim Plaster, I do not have his Phone information right now, but you can call the airport office during the week and the girl there may have it for you. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

PM Me

As Robert Anglin mentioned, Jim is good,and I have his contact info. We have several RV guys here at 8A7 if he isn't around. All of us have flying RV's and are familiar with many other local and regional RV owners. I have put a few prospective RV buyers into RVs after a visit and "nickle tour" of these fine machines. Send me a PM with your info and I will talk with you.

The primer on the right forward fuselage suggests there might have been a repair to the right side gear tower. I would look carefully in that area for wrinkled metal, including under the inspection cover where the gear leg comes through the skin.

Edit add: NTSB shows two accidents for an RV-8 with that N-number, both with what sounds like pretty serious damage. Check the repairs carefully.

Last edited:
The aircraft is located close to me , and I know some history. It has been repaired, as I was offered the job a couple years back, but didn't have the time. I may be able to aquire more info on it.

It looks like in 2004 it was ground looped on a landing and nosed over on its top. Then in 2010, it had a hard landing resulting in damage to the right wing spar. That doesn't sound like much fun without a major inspection.

Thanks for all the help guys. I got behind a RV today at KHKY finishing my XC. I may have to just find a different one.

I also saw the auction add for this plane and was a little put off by the obvious repair. That plane has been on barnstormers for a few weeks now. They are asking 58k on the listing. I am located in Greensboro and also in the market for an RV.

Don't know

We sat-in for most of the sale, but they were running very long. The two aircraft were to be sold at noon but by 1:00 PM it looked like they would be at least another hour so we left out. Billy Carter was there and was going over the logs with any buyers so we ask if he could, to let us know how it went. Both the Cessna and the RV were to be sold without reserve so they should have gone regardless. When we left all the equipment, tractors and attachments were being sold A.I.W.I. and I would suspect the aircraft were done the same. The 8 had suffered a hard landing. Looking only from the outside it seemed as if Billy had done a far job, but we did not get to see inside the airframe.
If we learn more I will try to post it, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

it didn't sell

I had a friend there for the duration. I did not attend, but I was messaged at the end of the sale, high bid was 41K, and the auction needed a minimum of 60K...apparently, there was a reserve of some type. The Cessna 140 went for 17K. Not sure what the estate has planned for it now.

Back