What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line flairing tool

Looks like it’s time for me to purchase a 37 degree flaring tool for the fuel lines.
Would like to know what type of tool you purchased and from who. Thank you in advance for your comments.

I have 3---the rolo flare, the Rigid RFT37 that I really like, and well the beast.
The rolo flare is good for 1/8 primer lines, I like the RFT 37 because the flaring bar is narrow enough to allow flaring after bending in some cases.
The beast---well sometimes hand flaring is a pain, especially on stainless. As a group, AS Flightlines has 3 Beasts.

Tom

Attachments

• Model-50-DB.jpg
    Model-50-DB.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 143
How about a more silly question from us non A&P first-time builders… what’s a double flare?

How about a more silly question from us non A&P first-time builders… what’s a double flare?

I also had to google it. Double flare seems to be much stronger and used for high pressure lines

main-qimg-b98622420779645a4dc3a3fb89753adf

Double flare not needed

This has been discussed many times before. A properly done single flare works fine and will last the life of your plane.

A double flare is when the flare is folded back over itself to make a double wall on the flared portion of the tube. Yes, these will work with our AN fittings.

The key is to do the single flair correctly. Practice first and inspect with a magnifier. Watch out for tiny cracks and either over or under flaring.

Many people have used the tool that was referenced with the link to aircraft spruce. I also like the Imperial tool show towards to bottom of the linked page.

...and

..."IF the single flare is done correctly" is the key statement.

Not to mention that in AC 43-13, double flare is recommended for "soft aluminum tubing 3/8" or less." Soft aluminum tubing includes 3003 and 5052.

You will find those references in the hydraulic tubing section of the AC.

The single flare has worked fine on many aircraft over the years...as long as it is done correctly.

The double flare is less likely to form cracks, forms a more robust flare, and the tool makes it very easy to create consistent flares.

There isn't a "wrong" choice, I just chose the double flare...either way, make sure you are creating the flare correctly. If you don't, it WILL leak, and typically, tightening the B nut further will actually make the leak worse...

Back