What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Material question

Freemasm

Well Known Member
My FG experience is basically nil. I have to build a couple of air duct transition pieces to maintain clearance with aileron tubes. Obviously non-structural. The biggest stress would be the clamps for connecting the 2" duct to each side.

What glass weight would be good for this application?

Much thanks.

Fiberglass

My FG experience is basically nil. I have to build a couple of air duct transition pieces to maintain clearance with aileron tubes. Obviously non-structural. The biggest stress would be the clamps for connecting the 2" duct to each side.

What glass weight would be good for this application?

Much thanks.

Not exactly sure what the part looks like but I tend to use the same stuff for pretty much everything except super thin, light parts. Usually it's about .010" per layer.
Aircraft Spruce
E-Glass Fiberglass Cloth: Finished weight
8.95 ounces per square yard, 8 harness,
satin, 60 inches wide, sold by the linear
yard. Part #7781-60

They also sell a super thin, light cloth. I only use it for spanning tip joints and such.

I'd use RA 7725 Bi-directional 8.8 oz cloth, cut on the bias (45* to the selvage) to make ducts; it will shape and conform much easier than unidirectional cloth of the same weight. Available from Spruce. Lay it up on visqueen or aluminum foil, then set in in place & remove the backer.

Last edited:
Back