What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hydraulic Crimper

I've got an identical looking unit sourced here in OZ. Works a treat, and comes with a big range of dies. So long as the die is the right size for the cable/lug, it's hard to go wrong.

I have the HF unit referenced and like it. Only used it for #8 terminals so far, and some non-aviation jobs that turned out well. I find that the die numbers don't match the terminals I've used, so I pick what looks right. IE #8 die looks too small for the #8 terminal. I've used other big crimpers before in a previous life, so I have an idea what I'm looking for in a good crimp.

That crimp kit won't work for the biggies, ask me how I know. The dies say they are labeled for the big wire sizes but they are waaaaaay off (too small). If you search the forums you will find others that found the same. I don't know how it works for some but not others, perhaps they used a different brand? This is what I used. It works beautifully for all of the bigger wires in the bird. Just gave it a nice smack or two with a big arse hammer.

Here is a pic of what the crimp looks like on a 2awg welding wire. These were all followed up with some adhesive shrink wrap too.

Attachments

• crimp.JPG
    crimp.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Buying a tool?

Are there really enough heavy cables to terminate that require buying a tool, versus taking the parts to an auto electrician for crimping? Just curious, not criticizing. :eek: I'm not yet at the stage of needing to do any wiring yet so don't have any first-hand experience.

if you don't buy a tool you will waste a lot of time. i bet no one crimped the wire lugs and that was the end of it. i changed things and redid a lot. gas is 3 bucks, time is priceless and 2 trips to the repair shop if they are busy doubles the reason i got a tool.

I have many 2 and 6 gauge wires (dual bus system) and use this for crimping those: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZA2P3XM/

It's very nice being able to do it right there in place and I've already redone a couple things as I've progressed. I've also used it on my car (had a battery terminal break).

If you just want a ratcheting crimper, there is one from available from an online experimental avionics supply store (not sure if I am able to mention their name due to the whole sponsorship thing, but rhymes with "pine"). It has sizes 8AWG through 2AWG, it's less expensive that the other options discussed and doesn't come with a bunch of dies to lose as it is just a typical ratchet style. Does a great job.

Tom.
RV-7

I got a 10 ton of similar design off of eBay and it was adequate. The die numbers are not accurate but this one had dies large enough. The hex dies are not pretty precision, but do a good looking job. It has been used for making battery cables for several other projects too. Just make sure it ships from USA and can be returned. Lower cost tool too.

Be sure you search/find a table for pull force tests of wire crimps. The #2 is ~500 lbs IIRC. I tested with a lever and a biped hanging weight:D and was satisfied the crimps were sufficient to meet industry specifications.

I do crimp twice, 90 deg apart to ensure the parting line extrusion is eliminated.

Battery Cables USA for non aircraft, offers good cables, closed/welded terminals, heavy shrink tubing, premade parts at very reasonable prices and shipping. Very fast shipper. I am a very satisfied customer.

I have many 2 and 6 gauge wires (dual bus system) and use this for crimping those: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZA2P3XM/

It's very nice being able to do it right there in place and I've already redone a couple things as I've progressed. I've also used it on my car (had a battery terminal break).

I got a similar one from AS: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/crimptool12-03719.php?clickkey=7268. It needed a small modification to properly fit some of the lugs, but overall worked adequately.

Definitely better than the crimps I removed for the upgrade - those pulled apart with just a firm tug. 10 years in service...

Well Larry said big cables, so we use this----yeah kinda overkill but if you have it, might as well use it

Tom

Attachments

• CC60 crimper.jpg
    CC60 crimper.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 152
Probably new in the 1930's.
I think I'm getting more use of these tools than my Grandfather did.

Attachments

• crimpers.jpg
    crimpers.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Crimper

Thanks everyone. All good advise.
The auto shop or borrowing are great but, I like having the tool on hand when I need it. Who know what I may need later. This isn't terribly expensive.
I think the Amazon model is the one.

Thanks
The one on Amazon is 16 Ton for not much more.
I have all the wire. Using Welding wire North of the Firewall. #2, #4 & #6.

ED---are you talking about cable, like rudder cables with swaged ends?
Something like the Kearney swager?

Tom

Attachments

• a11401832dc33755c05b4b179b4443e8-0-900x_.jpg
    a11401832dc33755c05b4b179b4443e8-0-900x_.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 12-01188.jpg
    12-01188.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 106
I wasn't sure how the ends were crimped on control cables. (rudder,aileron....)

So if one tool can do different things, the versatility of a cable crimper goes up.............

The ones I have seen were swaged on, maybe with a tool like the Kearney tool.
ACS can tell you for sure or the airframe shops with those experts----which I am certainly not.

Tom

You might borrow

A local electrical supply house may let you borrow or rent their crimper. I bought lugs for the larger wires from Anixter and borrowed their large crimper.

Bob

Back