What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reading VAF Makes a Condition Inspection More "Fun"

rvmills

Well Known Member
Two RV Pilots in the hangar, one muses to the other, "15 minutes or less can save you up to 15% at Geico"

"Everybody knows that".

"Oh yeah, well did you know that reading VAF can make your condition inspection take longer, cost more money, include lots of mission creep...and be a LOT more fun and educational?"

So let's see if I can tell the story in 10 "pictures" or less...

It started out like most condition inspections do...pull panels, take the airplane apart to the degree necessary to fully inspect. Get your kids out to help a bit, and learn about stuff like changing the oil, inspecting mechanical stuff, and torquing plugs, injectors, etc.

CI%252B01.jpg

You might even do a little repair to a racing induction inlet, and share a comparison pic or two with FB friends.

And then all that great reading at VAF kicks in. This thread is all about the Anti-Splat Aero Vacuum Vent Valve, and potential issues, so an inspection is mandated. It's OK after 42 hours since last inspection, just a little clean-up needed, and the relief valve looks good too.

CI%252B02.jpg

This thread also discusses the oil breather, air-oil separator and crankcase vent valves. In one of those two threads, Dan Horton suggested a test to see if the vent valve is creating negative or positive pressure. A simple tap in the breather system, another in the static system, and we can compare crankcase pressure to ambient. Here's a few pics of how I did that...some tubing (red=hot side of FW, blue=cold side, some push fittings, and a manometer from eBay...and the pitot/static check was passed with all the fittings and plugs in place...less the manometer).(Mixture knob is in only for the pics...no data yet due to weather here in Reno).

CI%252B03.jpg

And then there's the VAF Classified Ads! They've been berry, berry good to me, and this time Stein was selling an SL-30 at a great price...gotta git me one of them! That ad's been deleted, so I can't show the link, but you all know how valuable VAF Clssifieds are...to both buyer and seller. But my "condition inspection" just got more pricey! Here is a thread in which an SL-40 to SL-30 swap is discussed, and there are others! Of course, ya gotta add an antenna, and if you're a racer, the doubler has to have nutplates to make the antenna fully removable, puck and all, right!? Hey, but ya gotta inspect the fuselage innards anyway, so how much extra work can it be, right?! (My back still hurts!)

CI%252B04.jpg

Initial "smoke test" showed no NAV indications, so a quick call to Stein and another to Dynon confirmed that I had to change format to auto, along with baud rate to auto, to make it work (I was halfway there...dooooh!). Happiness is a green needle where it's supposed to be, and a Nav Source switch that actually switches between GPS and VHF Nav!

Oh, and while the panel is opened up...sure, why not put in a couple avionics cooling/defrost fans, as described in this thread!

CI%252B05.jpg

After 3 years of cowl mods (induction and exit, heavily influenced by Dan Horton's Shrinking Exit thread), I figured why not cut into it again, and install an Anti-Splat Aero EZ-Cool Cowl Flap, as described in this VAF thread. First came the cut-and-sand-through-the-paint-to-glass phase (with a couple other minor glass repair spots combined). My cowl appears to be moaning, "we're doing this again?". Then came glassing it into place. Original plan was to use two cowl flaps in the corners of the cowl, and do a test comparison between cowl flaps, louvers and flat plate plugs...but reality stuck its nose in...my exhaust pipe locations were a conflict with that placement, and one flap in the center tunnel had much better clearance. The geometry of the tunnel, end edge distance to the curves had me opt for a glass-in solution, to avoid fatigue cracks around nutplates...so my flap vs. louver test is now out (sorry Dan, I actually bought the louvers...anyone need some louvers!?). But it glassed in quite nicely.

CI%252B06.jpg

Used a doubler to get the fit close to flush, then a little Superfil to flush it up and smooth.

CI%252B07.jpg

A little paint inside and out, and a little airbrush touch up after the first wet-sanding...

CI%252B08.jpg

A little more fit and finish work, with helpers...

CI%252B09.jpg

And some it'llbuffout work, some fiberfrax (thanks Dan), heat tape, and finishing touches...

CI%252B10.jpg

You know, all I really wanted to do was add a checkerboard, since my buddy Joe Blank at Van's has been after me to do it for years! I just took the long way to get there...thanks to a lot of good reading, written by a lot of good friends...here at VAF. Thanks DR...I think! (Nyuck, Nyuck!)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob,
Did you also save time by posting pictures to your wall?

"That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works".

Man Nasty, after reading that Im going to start doing my inspection every two years. I cant afford all the extra stuff every year.

How do you like the NAV antenna in that location under the fuselage?

A) Range/performance?

B) Bumping the antenna when working around the plane?

Bevan

Bob, great fun reading---------thanks.

And, good luck with the new cooling mod.

Mike, somehow my spider sense told me you'd be the first to see this! :D

Wow... I think I will just skip the inspection this year...
Nice workmanship !!!!!!!!

Man Nasty, after reading that Im going to start doing my inspection every two years. I cant afford all the extra stuff every year.

Yep...and I bet my boys will probably run the other way next time they hear the words "condition inspection"! ;)

How do you like the NAV antenna in that location under the fuselage?

A) Range/performance?

B) Bumping the antenna when working around the plane?

Bevan

Not flight tested yet...avionics tester a friend had showed good results, but that is very basic. Neighbor has same placement on his two 8's and says it's been good. Considered putting it in my removable V-fin cap, but on a TW airplane that is a real eye-poker. This position will require caution on a creeper, but the radiator tips are under the elevator, so walking around is not a problem. Will report on performance when I fly with it.

Bob,
Did you also save time by posting pictures to your wall?

"That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works".

LMAO Ax...I did have instructions and wiring diagrams and pics on my hangar wall...and also thought of that quote. Well played sir! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Nice post Bob, as usual!

Hey - what paint did you use on the inside of the cowl? I am at that point right now.

Oh - Let us know how the numbers go on that new cowl flap. Pressures, I mean, I like the colored tubing too! Keeps down confusion in the fury of testing.

Thanks,

Gotcha Bob.....it's all a lie. I never flew any of those parts, or did any of those tests. The only thing I fabricated was the story and pictures. I just like to mess with West Coast guys. You'll thank me for this lesson someday, when you're old, and bitter, and impervious to dumb suggestions ;)

No comment

Geez I thought you were adding enough speed ballast to stay in front of me. WHEW!!

As for comments, I actually have nothing to add (NO COMMENT), other than the boys will not go with you to the airport quite as much in the coming years.

Hmmm...I guess that could be a comment....

"You just keep thinkin', Butch. It's what you're good at!"

Carry on!
Mark

PS I'm quite disappointed to hear that DanH's posts are all smoke and mirrors..but I will keep drinking his sponsored beer.

Gotcha Bob.....it's all a lie. I never flew any of those parts, or did any of those tests. The only thing I fabricated was the story and pictures. I just like to mess with West Coast guys. You'll thank me for this lesson someday, when you're old, and bitter, and impervious to dumb suggestions ;)

Not buyin' it...unless you're as good with Photoshop as you are with Autocad!

Impervious to dumb suggestions...hmmm...here's hoping that's a lesson I can teach the boys...though I'm not such a good example, eh!?! :p

Geez I thought you were adding enough speed ballast to stay in front of me. WHEW!!

Saving the speed ballast for you...you're saving room for it in the new wheel wells, right? ;)

Nice post Bob, as usual!

Hey - what paint did you use on the inside of the cowl? I am at that point right now.

Bill, it's a Ranthane single stage left over from a buds Bearhawk project...I can get ya details.

Cheers,
Bob

This thread is all about the Anti-Splat Aero Vacuum Vent Valve, and potential issues, so an inspection is mandated.

After 3 years of cowl mods (induction and exit, heavily influenced by Dan Horton's Shrinking Exit thread), I figured why not cut into it again, and install an Anti-Splat Aero EZ-Cool Cowl Flap, as described in this VAF thread.

I'd have some concerns about the Anti-Splat Aero EZ-Cool Cowl Flap as well. That's a pretty hot area down there among the exhaust pipes and I'd be surprised if that little electric motor would be rated for that sort of environment. Being at the bottom of the cowl it's also in the worst possible place for the accumulation of fuel or oil leaks. A little bit of flammable fluid and a dodgy electric motor could be a dangerous combination. As with all Anti-Splat products, you're the beta tester.

Nice post Nasty. Been following your posts to "your wall" on FB too... ;)

And of course I'm sure you will be reporting the checkerboard speed/pressure differential on the air door when you get to the flight test phase. My calculations show, I'm guessing with that surface area, should amount to around a 1/4 KT of speed gain. Now if the entire inside of the cowl was done this way... well you can calculate that drag reduction/speed gain... YMMV... :rolleyes:

Nice work and Post brother.... Checkerboard Smeckerboard, I can't believe you caved in to Shadey, but I must say, he is fast!
I am doing my CI as we speak. The only thing I have found thus far is a partially consumed pepperoni stick, I think from a year ago Phoenix trip. It still tastes al'right.....

Back