What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear legs and engine cowling

The Swede

Hello, great forum you guys have here!

Just baught a partially finished RV4 kit (from 1990) and plans are to install an O-320 with ground adjustable composite prop.

After reading some threads here I wonder if I have the long or short gear legs? What lenght are they typically?

I also understand that prop extension length is determined on how long the engine cowling is. Mine is about 38" or 98cm uncut/untrimmed, guess I have the old one that requires a 4" extension?

Best regards,
Carl

Hello, great forum you guys have here!

Just baught a partially finished RV4 kit (from 1990) and plans are to install an O-320 with ground adjustable composite prop.

After reading some threads here I wonder if I have the long or short gear legs? What lenght are they typically?

I also understand that prop extension length is determined on how long the engine cowling is. Mine is about 38" or 98cm uncut/untrimmed, guess I have the old one that requires a 4" extension?

Best regards,
Carl

Hi Carl
I am in the same boat as you! I just bought a 1990 project. #2154. I have been told that the gear was lengthened in 1995 so it looks like we have the short one. I don't know about the cowling, I'm not there yet. Good luck. We have lots to learn don't we!

Thanks.

Ok, yes a lot to figure out!

Intentions are to have baught an engine by the end of this year, guess I will see what extension will be apropriate when the engine has been hung.

/ Carl

Hi Carl,

I have serial #2460 which was purchased after sitting unstarted for many years.
Long gear legs require a different engine mount. I went with long gear legs since I needed to change from dynafocal to conical anyway. I also went with the newer shorter constant speed cowl with 13 inch vs 12 inch spinner. The new cowl is lighter and includes the air scoop. The pressure recover wheel fairings and fiber glass gear leg fairings would also be a good idea.

You will want to check all SBs and update the firewall to longeron brackets if you have the older ones. I purchased a new set of plans but there were few changes. The newer plans have a different method of attaching the horz stab but I think it is mostly for ease of installation.

An O320 with a light weight prop is a great combination for an RV-4. If I were building a -4 again, I would add another bay to the fuel tanks to provide more range.

Ken

Hi again,

Thanks for info.

My cowling has the scoop so I guess it's the "new" one then, even if I'm pretty sure it's from 1990?! Will take more cowl measurements tomorrow, I measured the spinner to 12". Anyone to know if the WW or sensenich ground adjustable composite prop can be made to fit with this spinner?

/Carl

long / short gear

Hi Carl

Just did something similar to what Ken did: replaced a short gear and conical engine mount for an O-320 by a dynamical and long gear engine mount for an O-360.

Another possibility to determine which landing gear you have is the distance of the two center bolts of the engine mount. The longer gear has a slightly different angle and the bolt locations in the firewall change slightly (see picture). The dimensions I put in the picture are roughly measured. I did not cross check them with the plans.

15771936211_6c32a51f39_z.jpg

Hi Carl,

You will want to check all SBs and update the firewall to longeron brackets if you have the older ones.

Ken

Hi Ken, what is the issue with the firewall to longeron brackets? Do you mean Wd-402?

Short gear legs

Measured my gear legs, they are the short ones. 102 cm from the top to where the wheel axle bend begin.

Back