What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

796 Adsb traffic and wx question

Dave12

Well Known Member
I am wondering how those that are using the GDL39 with a 796 like the traffic depiction and the weather info?

GDL39/796

Worked great in my 6A. Still using it in the Cub. I don?t think you would be disappointed but I have never used anything else.

Works well

Traffic display is good on the map page and scales with the map, the dedicated traffic page is also good to see trends and you can also scale the range which is nice. I have the traffic page as a dedicated soft button for a quick view of close traffic around my busy airport. I also prefer the filtering versus Garmin pilot and the smart assessment of traffic potential conflict.

Weather display is also good, I ran for 2 years with XM and the TIS weather and concluded for me the TIS weather was good enough as I am looking generally to avoid rather than penetrate bad weather.

GDL39 AHARS works OK with the 3D display page but does drift over time.

Even though discontinued I will be hanging onto my 796.
Figs

Weather display is also good, I ran for 2 years with XM and the TIS weather and concluded for me the TIS weather was good enough as I am looking generally to avoid rather than penetrate bad weather.

Figs

Both XM and TIS weather have an inherent time lag, greater than the number shown on the display. NEITHER is designed for close in avoidance.

Back