What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Influential RVs

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
I?m starting a project that I?d like to keep under wraps for a bit.

But my question to the group is which RV was influential in your decision to build an RV?

For me it was:
Sam Buchanan RV6 really one of the first websites
Vans original RV3
Doug Reeves RV6

And many more

But I?m curious for you old timers who was there before you and motivated you? I?m not really looking for resent builds but more the originals and that paved the way for us.

Post pics maybe and I?ll try compile a list.

There was a whole generation of us that lived off of Checkoway’s progress reports, then continued to carry the torch for a little while.

Mike Howe?s/Rick Barnes?s RV10

Spent hours and hours pondering his site. When I moved the project to the hangar (same airport)- he was the first guy to nose his way in, introduce himself, and pronounce judgement on the build. Wish he was still around now that I?m flying.

Phil
Bountiful, UT

Rick West, RV4, Sarnia Ontario. He gave me a ride in 1992? And I knew that was the plane I had been looking for.
Gord Baxter, RV6, Kitchener Ontario. Gord had a beautiful plane and he took the time to help me get started on my 4.
I was very fortunate to have these guys get me going in the right direction. This was before the internet, when we knew all the rv guys in the province.

Phil Arter

Phil Arter had kit #80005, as I recall. He started an e-mail community of new RV-8 builders called the "RV-8 Short List." Guys like Danny King, Brian Denk, Von Alexander, and Randy Lervold were members, and we shared a LOT of info with each other.

Phil was determined to make one-piece wing skins, so he match-drilled huge sheets of aluminum through the originals INTO HIS LIVING ROOM FLOOR! He was single, naturally. :D

Sadly, Phil passed away before completing RV-8 #80005. Imagine trying to build an RV without VAF and the encouragement we all get from Doug's site. That's what it was before Phil's RV-8 Short List.

Over the years attending EAA Airventure I saw a lot of homebuilts and RVs that ran from wretched to WONDERFUL. But the day I sat in Van's RV9 was the day I knew I would have to build an RV. The CNC punched kit idea sealed the deal along with the Quick Build option. When I sat in the RV9 and looked around the cockpit, all I could feel was that this was a real airplane and not just another homebuilt. Everything looked the way you would expect it to look in a well designed CRAFT. Loved it.

Roberta:):):):)

Influenced RVs

Ol' Dick V. himself did a show in 1991 at the Porterville CA. Fly in in his RV4. I was sold after that.
Sitting in the RV10 at the Copper State fly in 2002, had to have one.

Good start

Great start guys keep the suggestions coming. I?ll have to add George Orndorff.
Who remembers watching VHS videos of the builds?

Still looking for a lot more nominations

Was it Randy that had the TV series briefly with the RV8?

I never had the time to build an RV (maybe in the next life) but have drooled over the RV8 for many years. Sat in a 3,4,6,7 & an 8.........no contest, conventional u/c (of course) & tandem seating two up full sized blokes full gas, never looked back :)
Bang for buck ya can't beat a Vans :)

I'd always wanted to build an airplane and, having watched Bob Cronin finish an RV-4 in his Manchester, NH shop in the late '90s, went down to SnF in 1999. Heading into the show, I was torn between a couple of highly dissimilar types, the RV-8 and the Berkut. After flying the red -6 with Mike Seager out of Winter Haven during the show, I was sold.

During the build years (from late '99 to early '02), I was a member of the old RV List. Randy Lervold and Kevin Horton were both building at the time and we all kept each other going, answering questions, etc. I started the Boston RV Builders group during that period and it took off as a regional support group. I believe it's still going, to some extent, despite my having decamped to Florida fifteen years ago.

Great post! I enjoyed the moment of reminiscence.

I was at the Arlington Fly-In/Airshow. One side of a taxiway is homebuilts on display. Across the taxiway is general parking for those that flew in.

Among the Cezznas, Mooneys, Pipers, yada yada in general parking were several RVs, but no other experimentals.

This confirmed that with the RV line, people are actually completing them, and flying them for transportation.

That confirmed that if I was going to go Experimental "someday", it would be an RV.

Fast Forward a few years. The induction hose from air filter to intake on my Bonanza was beginning to crack, so let's change it before small bits of rubber get ingested. My mechanic friend, who always treated this airplane as his own baby, was no longer available. There's another good mechanic at the airport, but their fleet of trainers/rentals gets priority.

We have a neoprene hose, 4" diameter, 5" long. Two hose clamps.
Two hose clamps! Do I really need to get on a certified mechanic's schedule to replace a couple hose clamps?

When I mentioned to my mechanic friend I was considering building an RV, but apprehensive, he was very encouraging. We always did owner assisted annuals, he had no doubt I'm capable of building a good airplane.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the build process. Thanks, Ben...

Still looking for a lot more nominations

Was it Randy that had the TV series briefly with the RV8?

From the ground up?

That was hosted by Joe Schumacher if I remember correctly.

Definitely. I had the whole RV-8 series on VHS back in the day. His wife, Becky, did my seats.

Back in the mid 1970's there was a photo on the cover of Sport Aviation with the RV-3 and RV-4 flying in formation.

I knew at that moment, when I was probably 17 or 18 years old, that "some day" I would build an RV. So I would say that picture, and story inside, were the most influential.

In the early 1980s while flying gliders at Minden, one evening there was an RV-3 tied down on the apron. That was the first RV I ever saw in person. It wasn't a show plane, in fact it was kinda rough around the edges. But it was such a tidy package. I was really hooked then.

In the mid 1990's I visited a fellow at Concord Buchanan that was building an RV-4, so I got to sit in it and make airplane noises. It was a little small, and I knew the back was too small for my wife. So I was a little disappointed. Then a year or two later the RV-8 came out, and I ordered the preview plan set right away.

Four ever...

I’m starting a project that I’d like to keep under wraps for a bit.

But my question to the group is which RV was influential in your decision to build an RV?

For me it was:
Sam Buchanan RV6 really one of the first websites
Vans original RV3
Doug Reeves RV6

And many more

But I’m curious for you old timers who was there before you and motivated you? I’m not really looking for resent builds but more the originals and that paved the way for us.

Post pics maybe and I’ll try compile a list.

SJ,
The picture of the Vans prototype RV4 was what I used as a guide/motivator back in the 80's' when I bought my RV4 tail kit as there were few RVs flying and none nearby. The RV3 was the only other model available.

Doug, Sam and I finished our airplanes at roughly the same time, my RV4 turning out better than I hoped for, as close to the prototype in weight and performance as I could get.

RV4 prototype

1995' Kry-Lon trim paint, few amenities, 925Lbs, $25K total expenditure!

10 years later, painted, still going strong.

The new owner sent me a recent pic and she still looks and flies great 24 years on.
Great designs are timeless....

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Alan Tolle from Bakersfield. Everytime a new RV model would come out, he would be the first completion and get on the cover of Sport Aviation. Bakersfield was the epicenter of all RV activity, not just Rockets.

Second the comment on Steve Barnard, he set the bar for quality and innovation in the early 90's.

Saw an ad in 'Flying' magazine for Van's aircraft in the late '90s. I was interested in building, but the 'build a jig first factor' kept me from starting. When I discovered that Van's offered a prepunched kit I became more interested and started by contacting a local EAA chapter. Got invited to take a look at Dave Klages' RV8 project at Chino airport, while there Paul 'Rosie' Rosales showed up with his RV-6A. Paul offered me a ride, gave me the controls on takeoff and said lift off around 65--climbing out at an easy 1000 FPM on a hot July day--'I have GOT to get me one of these' pops into my head. Sept. 20 2014 I made the first flight in my 9A. Thanks Dave and Paul for the introduction into the world of RVs.

The ad/article in Air Progress about the first kit aircraft. Sheets of flats aluminum that you punched and drilled yourself; revolutionary! All by Van.

Then the RV-9, fuse to sit in at Oshkosh; was that early the 2000?s?

When I finally ordered the 9 tail kit, Dan Checkoway?s RV-7 build site was an inspiration. That?s how it was done.

Oh and did I mention the RV-6 video, of a gentleman taking his 13 year daughter for a flight to the newest providence capitol in Canada? I wish I could find that video today. Great music.

Bob

A Sport Aviation magazine with an RV-4 on the cover in an Emergency Room waiting area. "What is that!?". It left with me and the long journey began.

Seeding magazines in random areas can take root!

Getting there

Thanks guys and thanks to Smokey for posting pics.

More pics of your inspiration from the dinosaur days!!

And thanks to person mentioning from the ground up with Schumacher. That series made it look like you could build an RV8 in a week

Mel, Bob, Sam, Mark, Alex, Dan and Doug

I went to Sun’n Fun in 1993 intent on learning about the Mustang II. Didn’t know much about homebuilts and wandered around in a sea of airplanes until I found four Mustang II’s parked near the flight line. The pilots there told me I’d have to learn things like reading plans and metal fabrication because Mustang II’s are not kits. They’re built from scratch! (I didn’t tell them I was a NASA engineer with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering).

So I felt a little dejected and turned around and noticed about 40 airplanes that sort of looked like Mustang II’s. Wow, wonder what those are! Went over and talked to some of those pilots and found them to be friendly. One of them was a guy from Texas named Mel Asberry. He sent me over to the Van’s tent where they had a video showing how flush riveting is done. I was impressed.

When I got home I found a new friend who just happened to be building an RV-6A. Bob Butler worked two floors above me at NASA, and I helped him from time to time as he built his RV. In 1997, I flew in the right seat to both Sun’n Fun and Oshkosh with him.

Later I also met such RV celebrities in North Alabama as Sam Buchanan, Mark Spry and Alex Sloan.

Sam’s site and Checkoway’s site were daily reads, and some guy named Doug in Texas had a Yahoo email group that became a daily read, too.

I haven’t finished my RV-7 yet, but I’m making progress on it. It’ll be finished on Tuesday! ;)

Last edited:
Special thanks to Mike Shipper, Jerry Thorne, Scott and Tanya Card, Bill Repucci, Vern and Smitty! I doubt I could finish without your detailed weblogs. My hat is off to those who built during preVAF times :)

N60UP

If you get a chance this evening or tomorrow morning, find Chuck's extended and widened 6. It has a 540 up front and the coolest motorized tip up canopy you will ever see. It will be worth it to see. It is mostly blue with green and purple. Beautiful plane. Check out the landing gear. Amazing construction.

Dave (flyinmonque) gave me my first ride in an RV. That hooked me.
Mike the welcome dude showed me his 10 and made me wish I had started a 10!

There is nothing like flying with Vlad. His stories are what keeps many of us building through the tough times. He took me on a flight near Aspen that was about as bumpy as I ever want to fly in and it was still fun!

Now I just need to get the last 5% done on mine.

Last edited:
Special thanks to Mike Shipper, Jerry Thorne, Scott and Tanya Card, Bill Repucci, Vern and Smitty! I doubt I could finish without your detailed weblogs. My hat is off to those who built during preVAF times :)

This thread brings back a lot of names I havent heard in a long time. Good times building back when it so awesome to find a web site showing the part your were struggling with. Vlad named a great list, and others have too. All awesome guys that if you fired them an email they were super helpful.

A few are around, a few I have no idea if they finished and are flying or spent too much time running their amazing log sites. Smitty was one.. funny sense of humor.

A Sport Aviation magazine with an RV-4 on the cover in an Emergency Room waiting area. "What is that!?". It left with me and the long journey began.

Seeding magazines in random areas can take root!

YES! for sure. I leave Soaring and Sport Aviation issues around at fast-food places that have a place for newspapers and magazines for people to browse through. Or I just leave one by the tray dumping station. Ya never know, might grow a pilot.

Mine started with a RV-4 (not even sure the guys name) that was a friend of my grandfathers. I was maybe 18 but was in love.

Other notables-

Van took me up in one of the 8's before I even had my ticket

Randy Lervold's 8

And the first factor RV7 (later 7A)

Too many on here to list.

Old Blue.......

Van just finished an aerobatic demo at Copper State in Old Blue and then minutes later I was given an introductory ride.

Steve:

Daily lived off of Checkoway

and Randy Lervold

Dan's and my serial numbers were two kits apart

back in 2002 and 2003

Conversed with you a number of times back in the day also

I went to SNF in April 2001. The -7 had just appeared. Went home and ordered the tail kit.

Cary

I go back to early '87 when I flew in a RV-4 backseat with a father/son team (name escapes me) near Van's headquarters in Oregon. Purchased wings built by Van's prototype builder Art Chard and finished a -4 in a year working closely with with Herb Ross and Bernie Warnke. Tucson had became a small RV mecca in the late 80's and through the 90's. Interesting fact, my O-360 cost $13,500 from Van's. Ross below:

351btom.jpg

Last edited:
Yep!

Red Marron and Bob Brashear!

And Noah McCullough. Bob showed me how to cut aluminum props - he learned from Steve Whittman! I do not know if any of those props are still around?

I recall Noah saying he sure wished he had his 4 when he was younger.

After all that, I found out about the Bakersfield Boys. Geez...

...I do remember the occasional pics of his wife! :rolleyes:

That?s ex-wife! And I believe the many photos including her was one of the reasons he removed his site. Correct me if I?m wrong. He very rarely posts in these forums, but I think he monitors them.

There was a whole generation of us that lived off of Checkoway?s progress reports, then continued to carry the torch for a little while.

I'm with you on Checkoway, his build blog set a high bar and was a lot of fun to even as a non-builder at the time to follow.

Influences

Rick Gray and the Ohio valley Rvator crew. Cinci river rats and John Thocker answering my stupid questions. Vic S and his -4 way back. Sam Buchanans site showing a very efficient, no wasted time build. Morrey Hummel as a tech counselor and his encouragement.

Sam was the hero of the RV6 building process when you needed to build. Dan was able to show how easy it is to assemble the new RV7 pre-punched kits.......

But Rudy was the one able to video his RV building itself....... just amazing.

I used to work some weekends as an airshow photographer, before I got a job as an engineer (i.e. before I could afford flight training). One time, during the practice day before an airshow, I (and my camera) got a ride in one of Team Rocket's Harmon Rockets. After plenty of formation loops and rolls, I left the airplane wearing a solid RV Grin :D and I knew for sure that it would be only a matter of time until I had an airplane like that. (I ended up deciding that an RV-6 would be even more fun due to the superior passenger experience, and although it's not quite as overpowered, it does handle about the same).

bxmvfk5.jpg

Last edited:
Steve Barnard's RV6, and later on his RV10.

+1 on Steve’s RV-6A. He was kind enough to provide it to the CAFE Foundation so we could generate a full Aircraft Performance Report for Sport Aviation. Very beautiful sweet- flying airplane, and an ideal example of the model for flight testing.- here is the report
https://cafe.foundation/v2/pdf_cafe_apr/RV-6A Final APR.pdf

For me, though, it was the prototype RV-8A that really set the hook. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven the day in 1999 Van himself showed up with it at the CAFE Foundation hangar at STS, gave me a brief check ride, and casually handed over the keys. I logged 25 hours over the next three weeks, much of it pretty rigorous test flying festooned with all of the CAFE Foundation test instrumentation, but a lot of solo subjective flight testing to explore handling qualities, stick forces, roll rates, etc. Note the grin in my avatar, taken during those tsets. That story here:
https://cafe.foundation/v2/pdf_cafe_apr/RV-8A APR.pdf

It took me 18 years to finally get around to owning an RV, but those two experiences made it inevitable.-Otis

Last edited:
The very first time that I saw an RV was in 1989 in an Italian airplane magazine:

rv3_1989.jpg

I started to dream and this is was the first Van's contact:

Vans_firstfax.jpg

After seven years I had a casual gift from this guy to fly his RV-4; I clearly remember the JOTF syndrome :

rv4_n7tg.jpg

Addicted !

Last edited:
Back