What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trigear conversion

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I'm looking at a project where the-8 gear have already been drilled. The fuselage is still open, can I buy the right engine mount and gear mount and convert it to an -8A?

I've done enough straining to see over the nose, I just want a tandem nose dragger.

I found some old posts, going from tailwheel to tri is relatively easy, but the extra gear re-enforcement may not be easy to get out.

This world work fine if it was an RV-6/7/9/14 as there are 'conversion kits' to do just that.

The RV-8 and -8A forward fuselages are quite different and have a significantly different structure that you would have to deal with. A lot of the parts are similar but distinctly unique to either the 8 or the 8A.

This is not an easy conversion and no 'conversion kit' exists for this model...

Definitely Not!

While it can be done, it's not practical. A gentleman on this site explained the process. I looked at going the other way (from nose wheel to tailwheel) because I'm on a bumpy grass strip. After tons of research, it seems like the best way to do it is buy the quick build fuselage and transfer everything over. In my case, I decided to sell it and get a tailwheel RV already built. I ended up with a 6, but the girlfriend says she feels cramped, and truth be told, I like the handling of the 8 better. So guess who's building again...

Back