What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching HS0006 to Spar

dwollen89

Well Known Member
This HS is going to be the death of me.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach forward rib HS0006 to the forward spar for an RV7A. I notched the ribs per the plans and marked a centerline on the aft flange. But the directions tell me to look at drawing D-D and figure out where to mark the holes to attach to the spar. This makes no sense to me because how do you know where the rib should be positioned to properly lay out the holes? I've been researching it and it seems that others have clecoed on the skin, put the rib in place and then marked the holes.

Am I missing something? Any advice is very much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Check my build log and see if it helps at all.. the headline should be labeled hs00006-7

Section D-D shows you the vertical spacing of the rivet holes. For horizontal positioning, I clecoed the skin onto the substructure and clamped HS-00006 in place on the skin for drilling.

Attachments

• AIMG_1350.JPG
    AIMG_1350.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 183
Thanks a lot for the replies! I like the idea of drilling the center holes on Hs6 and the outer holes on Hs5. Then I’ll cleco the skin on, clamp everything tight and match drill it all. I think my figure out how to do something vs. actually building is about 3 to 1.

Check my build log and see if it helps at all.. the headline should be labeled hs00006-7

Thanks for the link to your builders log! Great stuff! It should be included with the vans kits, lol. Sometimes I feel like the kit instructions might as well just say figure it out on your own.

You might want to get a list of builders logs and save them to your favorites. I have about 4-5 that I reference.

Back