What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bracket-ology (No, its not March)

tkatc

Well Known Member
For those of us less experienced with servos and brackets...please explain how these install brackets work. I am thinking of buying the install kit for the servos so I can install now while the fuse is still pretty open. Problem is, I am reluctant to commit to any one manufacturer with the progress of experimental avionics changing at a blistering pace.

I THOUGHT I would fit Tru-trak servos until Garmin introduced a G3X package that is currently hard to beat, IMO. Is there a difference in mounting brackets between the two? Is there a difference between those brackets and any other manufacturer? ie Dynon, GRT, Trio, MGL.

If they are the same, I suppose it comes down to who offers the most complete install kit and at what price.

Garmin, TruTrak and (I am pretty sure) GRT are all interchangeable with regards to brackets (not wiring). I haven't used Dynon, Trio, or MGL servos, so I can't comment on those.

Not quite...

The Garmin roll servo in the -7 wing has a different aft bracket than the TruTrak. The pitch servo can be mounted with a few extra washers.

This was my experience anyway. YMMV. :)

What Mel said times two!

Tony, given that you have the same wing as I...

Anyways, I found this out because I have already installed the TT bracket and my Garmin servos won't fit it!

sooooo...

:confused: CJ

My -8 is the newer revision and looks like this.
FP05072013A000DT.jpg

I stole this pic from Matt Dralle. Is that mounting bracket a kit or did he make that? I don't want to cut the "wings" off my rib angles so I would want something like this set-up.

Also, I think I would be doing the under seat servo like this.
FP05072013A000DX.jpg

Same brackets?

Wait

These brackets - all manufacturers - are not hard to install late in the game. Just pull lots of wires now.

AH HA!

We are talking about the WING MOUNTED ROLL SERVO brackets!

Not the ones specific for the -8 that mount in the center section.

Sooooo mark that one up in the "been there, done that" category!

;) CJ

Back