What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I fly for pie

humptybump

Well Known Member
Sometimes you find yourself in the enviable position of having all your chores done and left to your own to fill an afternoon. It's even more rare when the weather deities have chosen that same afternoon to bestow dry air, light winds and only the puffiest of cotton ball clouds.

It was just such a confluence that happened on Saturday to I pulled out the Devastator, gave it a good "once over" and launched from the just mowed long narrow lawn.

The destination was a little ways off. It would take a little more than 90 minutes to get from 53VG to 5NC3.

The flight was beautiful and only the slightest of bumps and burbles to serve as a reminder this was flying an RV-8 and not an afternoon in a BarcaLounger.

20130825-192553.jpg

After landing. I taxied past a home that looks like the little brother to my own "metal house". There was really no time to stare, there was food ahead.

20130825-192516.jpg

Most everyone who has traveled 220nm to get to Pick-n-Pig is greeted by a waiting line. The food is THAT good. fortunately I know secrets. I was seated immediately.

20130825-192604.jpg

I could have stuffed myself on a nice pulled pork sandwich with sides of beans and slaw but I was on a mission. I was here for PIE! Key Lime pie to be exact.

20130825-192648.jpg

I tried to savor it but it evaporated before my very eyes. Oh well. Pie always evaporates. It's a scientific fact that it has very low coefficients of both adhesion and cohesion.

Back out side, the parking area for planes had thinned out considerable. The Citabria and the three Cubs had departed along with a few other craft. There was one classy bird still sun bathing.

20130825-192546.jpg

To Be Continued ...

Last edited:
... Continued

I decided I had been on the ground long enough and should get high as soon as possible. There was a slight headwind up at 9,500' but it was Kentucky Rye smooth.

At one point I decided to drop down for some sight seeing. I spotted the best case of "the Hatfield's and the McCoy's" - two guys with adjacent farms decided they each had to have their own grass strips. I'd say the guy on the left wins. He has a nicer looking runway (at least from 1500') and even has a perfect tree lined driveway.

20130825-192526.jpg

Finally home, I picked up a hitchhiker while taxiing back to the hangar. This little green guy is not so little.

20130825-192642.jpg

All in all the day was great. The only lingering problem was that dang pie. It was only a fleeting memory.

As visitors to 53VG know, food is important. So, after watching the sun go down and then watching it come back up again I decided visitors should get to enjoy Key Lime Pie a whole new way - Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches.

20130825-192539.jpg

Any takers?

Last edited:
I fly for Pie.....It's a noble cause, keep up the good work.

I'm more of a Jack of all Trades, so try not to specialize, I Fly for Food :D

Ill just settle for the usual homemade ice ream! Any flavor you make is outstanding.

That yellow wing sure looks pretty against white puffies. Do you know the farmers with their strips? Looks like they have easy access to water.

BTW did you notice you actually picked up THREE hitchhikers. The green monster, a tick and a spidey.

Labor Day Ice Cream Run maybe? Cousin just swapped the prop for new. Do you still have discounted boat gas? :D

Pilots are always welcome, but I suggest confirming arrival 24 hours in advance to give the kitchen time to whip up a CG altering meal and special ice cream.

Back