What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Things I did not think of – staging purchases for the longest warranty period after f

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
Or, rather, things I thought of but shrugged off....

I don’t think the normal duration of building optimizes for this condition. Consider purchasing any electrical component as late as possible to ensure the longest warranty period while flying. I did this for avionics but not for the other little stuff.

In my situation, I optimized for kit completeness. I have had several components fail that fell outside the warranty period as a consequence of my build pace (which I was perfectly happy with).

In the latest example, when I ordered the empennage and wing kits (2014, 2015 – does not seem that long ago, but ages...), I also ordered the tail and wingtip lights. Those kits were completed and sitting on a shelf till assembly. 5 years passed before I had first flight.

Two years into flying, the taillight fails and it is beyond warranty. Ok, happens… but also the design has changed, and the strobe now has a different lighting pattern. All strobes will not be in sync if I just replace the failed tail unit. Ah well.

So, advice: if you can’t build faster, stage the time bound warranty item purchases till near the end.

It's been a concern for me, with the length of time this project is taking. On one bit of avionics, recognizing that the warranty would expire before flight, I asked the shop to bench-test the unit for me before shipping it. They did and the cost for that service was modest.

Dave

The only warranty I was concerned about was the engine. I bought mine from Aerosport of Canada for this reason. Their warranty starts at FIRST START. Now With 850 hours in less than 5 years and no internal issues.
As for electricals, don’t think that when u start flying you’re done building, adding or changing. Minor things break when u fly em. MAJOR things break when u don’t.

I bought my Ziptips from a guy who purchased an entire Dynon panel (built up) before he finished the empennage....

With the latest price increase on engines, effectively 20% in 8-months. **** the warranty need to buy parts now just so I will be able to afford it before more price increases.

I would very happy to accept some reduced warranty time or even out of warranty on some items if I could just get them when needed. My current project is going to take twice a long due to the delays in current manufacturing and shipping. I ordered my QB 14 wings in Dec of 2020. Current status says Parts in transit to assembly facility May 25 2022 - Sep 6 2022 est crating :eek:

Good luck.

I'd bet that having items go out of warranty before flight reduces the cost of servicing warranties, for some companies. For others, though, it gives them a reasonable excuse for the remarkably good customer service that we sometimes read about here on VAF. In fact, it suggests that in general we're better off doing business with companies that are part of our experimental vendor network, rather than companies that primarily are general aviation but don't really care about us.

Dave

Its a conundrum these days.
Warranty timing versus availability and pricing.

With respect to engine and propellor, I opted for pricing and ordered before the July 2021 price hike even though I'm 3-4 years from flying. After this impending second increase, that decision has proven to be the right one for me.

Avionics aren't purchased yet though so I'm sure I'll take a bath when that time comes.

Propellers....

They have 2 years storage time and then the clock ticks.....

6 years to inspection/overhaul - no extension.

Or, rather, things I thought of but shrugged
Two years into flying, the taillight fails and it is beyond warranty. Ok, happens… but also the design has changed, and the strobe now has a different lighting pattern. All strobes will not be in sync if I just replace the failed tail unit. Ah well.

Had a very similar issue with my lights except it was the starboard wing strobe that had an issue. Luckily, it was BARELY within the warranty period but the replacement sent was different flash pattern. After some discussion regarding the issue with the vendor they generously offered to replace both wing strobes to the new version so they would match. I just disconnected the tail "sync" so it runs on it's own and the wings stay sync'd. I don't mind that the tail is different.

Agree to wait on those electronics purchases until as late as possible. Not only the warranty issue, but just that the "latest and greatest" versions come out every few years.

With the latest price increase on engines, effectively 20% in 8-months. **** the warranty need to buy parts now just so I will be able to afford it before more price increases.
You may also have the option of buying now and delaying delivery till later date.
I purchased my engine right when I ordered my entire kit but asked for engine to be delivered 8 months later which they agreed. But it sucks if you pay for an item and be defective and out of warranty. My oil cooler was defective and I was lucky that was still within the warranty period (one year from the date of manufacture) else I would have had to purchase another one.

Last edited:
Back