What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deregistered Homebuilt

UrbanM

Dear List,
Not exactly an RV question but this could possibly apply to someone in the RV community. Is a Homebuilt worth anything if it has been deregistered? I fly a 6A in the Salt Lake area and there is a Christavia available locally (IMHO this would compliment the RV perfectly and I just happened to have hangar space). The problem is that it has been deregisitered. To me that means it is a pile of parts. Is there a path forward to register and fly this legally?
Thanks!
Kirk

You'll have a shot at it if the builder logs still exist, gotta prove it is amateur-built. One of my planes is now without engine and instruments but I'm leaving it registered so a new owner won't have any problems putting it back in the air.

Last edited:
derigistered

I believe the airworthiness is the critical item. I don't believe builders log is of much if any importance. Bill of sale from last registered owner??

Assuming it was registered E-AB once before, can't that serve as the basis for re-registration as E-AB? It makes no sense to me why the build logs would need to be produced a second time if the same serial number was already registered once before with the same agency (FAA) in the same category (E-AB)

As said before, registration is not a problem. If you have the original airworthiness certificate/operating limitations, you can reregister.

If the original builder deregistered it to avoid liability, etc. and won't release the airworthiness certificate, then you have a problem. The key is that the "builder" of an amateur-built aircraft cannot change. He/she is the builder forever!

I bought a wrecked EAB project that was de-registered. I called the registration office in OKC and asked about it. They told me that they will need photos showing that it is a complete aircraft and they will register it. If I can get it done before the deadline (4 years after de-registration), I can keep the original N number, otherwise I get a new one.

I have assisted clients on this a few times. The certificate belongs to the FAA, not the builder. The owner can apply for registration, as long as it matches the original builders make, model and serial number. They can then apply through AWC for a replacement certificate and op lims. Sometimes it gets a bit muddy, but more often than not, it goes rather smoothly. Give me a shout if I can help!

DAR Gary

Thanks for the responses! The plot thickens :eek: This plane was deregistered in Canada for some reason and flown to Idaho and has sat for 9 years. N numbers removed. Has never been registered in the US. This per an email with the guys wife. She said to call him today but I don't want to waste his time because I am less and less serious. I am curious about his logic though. Think I'll keep shopping.
Kirk

Thanks for the responses! The plot thickens :eek: This plane was deregistered in Canada for some reason and flown to Idaho and has sat for 9 years. N numbers removed. Has never been registered in the US. This per an email with the guys wife. She said to call him today but I don't want to waste his time because I am less and less serious. I am curious about his logic though. Think I'll keep shopping.
Kirk

This changes things. If the aircraft has never been certificated in the U.S., it will be treated as a "new" aircraft. IOW, to get experimental amateur-built certification, you must be able to show compliance with the 51% rule. i.e. a builder's log, affidavits, etc. Canada does not have the same requirements as the U.S. when it comes to amateur-built status.

You may be able to skip phase I if you can show that the aircraft was tested in Canada in compliance with U.S. testing.

Anytime an aircraft is sold with the intention of crossing the border it must be de registered. Canadian aircraft coming to USA or USA aircraft coming to Canada.

Unless I’m missing something once it’s been deregistered there is no reason it can’t be reregistered. The original records should still be on file either in Canada if that’s where it was heading or the USA.

Canada does not have the same requirements as the U.S. when it comes to amateur-built status.
Not "the same," no. But similar enough that it shouldn't matter. And assuming it was built in Canada it will have had pre-cover inspections to find all the things builders can hide when they close out parts of the structure without a second pair of eyes on it.

Not "the same," no. But similar enough that it shouldn't matter. And assuming it was built in Canada it will have had pre-cover inspections to find all the things builders can hide when they close out parts of the structure without a second pair of eyes on it.

The big bugaboo for Canadian homebuilts is that Canada DOES allow builders to hire professional assistance and still get an amateur-built certificate. The US has very different requirements for commercial assistance, resulting in a situation where some Canadian homebuilts don't meet US major portion requirements even though they did in Canada. This is why it's important to have the build records to verify that the aircraft meets US requirements. Without the build records, a Canadian amateur-built certification will not in and of itself meet the requirement for US certification.

Back