What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Holes too close together

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
Preparing to match drill the set of hinges that form the seat back attachments to the seat floor. The aft most hinge gets 3 additional holes that are picked up through the seat ribs, but when I laid out the hinges per the dimensions on the plans, I noticed the holes that I've predrilled in the hinge come far closer to the holes that get picked up through the seat ribs. In the worst case, the two holes on the right (inboard) side would be only about 5/32" apart from one another. I have verified that the hinges are in fact 15.5" long and the holes I've drilled in the hinge are as called out in the plans. Anyone else run into this?

Attachments

• IMG_6741.png
    IMG_6741.png
    3 MB · Views: 245
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6739.png
    IMG_6739.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Yes....

I also ended up with Rivet holes close together in that location, but I think it was more like 1/4" or greater in the end. What I did when I marked out the hinge pieces was to double check them in position and to see how far they were from the rib rivet lines. Since the actual rivet holes in the hinge are arbitrary, I just moved them away slightly from the holes to ensure clearance to the ribs.

Seat Bottom (2).jpg

Deceiving dimension!!!

The 7/8" measurement is not from centerline of the rib holes. Its from the edge of the panel. I read this wrong as well and looked it up on this great forum.

The 7/8" measurement is not from centerline of the rib holes. Its from the edge of the panel. I read this wrong as well and looked it up on this great forum.

Eureka! That's it. My eyes must have gotten crossed with all the dimension callouts in the drawing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back