What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen cylinders?

Inogen has a POC that can deliver continuous up to 18 K feet.
The new G5 looks good. You can even do pilot and passenger.
https://www.inogenaviator.com/

I have experience with the G4. It gets too hot for my comfort to be in the baggage area. The standard battery barely lasts an hour. The large battery, 2 hours. Needs a power supply, but only about 3 amps of 12v. Would need good airflow also, no bags packed around it. Works great in a car or walking around but I wouldn’t use it in my plane.

My question regarding the use of an O2 concentrator to fill tanks met with some, to put it politely, uninformed responses.

As an example of the equipment to which I was referring, Invacare makes a concentrator/compressor stack - see attached photo and description below.

Perhaps from this new baseline we might get some better-informed feedback.

=====================

HomeFill II Oxygen Compressor - The Invacare HomeFill II complete home…

That looks like a great idea. 2 things to consider: The HomeFill device does not come with an oxygen concentrator, which will add another $600-$1200 dollars and will require a prescription. Not difficult, but still need it (in the US at least).

All the home O2 concentrators I have seen output 90% up to 98% oxygen, best case. Lower with higher flows. Probably won’t make a difference either.

As for the max 2000psi output, that is the max pressure for my Aerox tank. Would not want it any higher. The concentrators are noisy and make a lot of heat. The filters need to be kept clean, so it would last better in a home than in the hangar. The concentrator membrane is supposed to be changed at a set interval, can’t remember how often but they seem to run forever in real life.

Edit
After looking at the HomeFill setup, it looks like they want you to use their tanks. May have an issue adapting an aviation tank to the compressor. I don’t like how the the medical tank connects to the regulator. Have seen too many leaks, so I wouldn’t use that in my plane. (30 years experience with them).

Last edited:
This looks like an expensive solution in search of a problem.

Yes, and no. Trying to get oxygen here seems rather a large pain in the keester. Getting O2 might be easier where you are. Here it seems to be real work and significant on-going cost if one wishes to lease bottles (I haven't found a local gas supplier who will fill a tank not leased from them - research is on-going).

Yes, and no. Trying to get oxygen here seems rather a large pain in the keester. Getting O2 might be easier where you are. Here it seems to be real work and significant on-going cost if one wishes to lease bottles (I haven't found a local gas supplier who will fill a tank not leased from them - research is on-going).

I purchased my tanks outright from a local welding shop. They don’t fill them, just exchange them for another tank. I own 2 tanks, but never get the same 2 tanks back. They take care of the hydrostatic testing also. I got the run around for a year before going this route. Hopefully you can find a shop to work with you.

Back