What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tom Webster

rleffler

Well Known Member
I was just informed that Tom Webster (tomwebster on VAF) passed away this morning.

n_a

n_a

I don't have many details at the moment, but will follow up as I learn when his services are scheduled.

Tom will be missed by many in the Central Ohio area and the Ohio Valley RVators. Tom was known to stop by every builder's hangar at KDLZ on the weekends to catch up on the build status and the local gossip. He was very active with the Ohio Valley RVators and flew to a local UFO every weekend as the weather permitted.

I was fortunate to fly and room with Tom at Airventure this past year.

He was a great friend and mentor. He will be missed by all.

Last edited:
I did not know Tom but ...

I did not know Tom but when I was at Urbana for the MERFI race he introduced himself in a very kind and reserved manner and we talked for a while. What a nice person he was. I am sorry to read of his passing.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

Thank you for sharing. Tom was fantastic to know. I really loved that guy and he is going to be missed. I was looking forward to spending more time with him at OSH next year.

God speed, Tom.

Phil

Chox

Tom (Chox) Webster was a great supporter of the RV family. His right seat was always occupied with a builder or RV wanna-be. Tom was a pilot for over 50 years and I learned a whole lot from this man. He hauled me all over the mid west during my two RV purchases, and was glad to do it. We flew to many UFO's together, we pretty much wore out the state of Ohio and surrounding states. I have just lost one of my resons to fly. Rest in peace my friend. God Be With You.
Dan Hempy (Skipper)

I am sorry to hear about this news. Tom is a kind and gentle person. He will be missed.

IMG_6350.JPG

Tom and his friend came to visit.

Ted

Last edited:
Sat with Tom at the RV banquet this year. Big hole in my flying world, because we both fly Luscombes, too.

Blue Skies, Tom

Ted C.(above) introduced us a few years back. We had many good conversations. Met him and Bob L.(above) at Osh this year. Sat beside him at DLZ's pancake breakfast after Osh talking about his single place Thatcher he was building. I called him just this past Sat AM to see if he wanted to go up to Port Clinton(PCW) for the chili fly-in. All seemed fine. He loved to fly his RV-7A slow to save fuel. He was like family and will be missed.

As Wayne stated we all flew up to KPCW for a bowl of Chili last Saturday. Sat and ate with Tom and then walked the flight line with him. He said at that time he was not feeling good. He will be missed. A great guy and a pleasure to be around.

Geoff

He will be missed...

Bob, thanks for posting this. I can still see Tom smiling at MERFI. One of the good guys and a pleasure to be around. He and his son came to visit my 1st project at a time when I could have easily thrown in the towel and moved onto something else. Tom's encouragement caused me to dig down and work a little harder after his visit.

Those of us that knew him are better for it. Tailwinds my friend....

Like a lot of people in our community, Tom touched me as well. He was active in our local EAA Chapter and the area RV guys. He was always there to lend a hand or just shoot the bull. He'll be sorely missed. I attended the Van's banquet with him and we took off just ahead of him at Oshkosh - the last time I saw him.

We lost a good one today! Godspeed Tom Webster!

Tom is appropriately in the center of this picture taken at OSH this year at the Vintage Cafe. The guys with us at lunch that day were folks that frequently flew with Tom.

L-R (Pete Britton, Jeff Hazlett, Tom, Dan Hempy)
A4ZdQOSCYAA83vm.jpg:large

Met Tom at Bloomsburg FlyIn in May 2009. Very pleasant and knowledgeable gentleman. RIP Tom.

TomWebster.jpg

I gave Tom (and Bob) a ride across the grounds in the VW Thing at AirVenture this year. Rest in peace Mr. Webster.

Godspeed My Friend!

It was my pleasure knowing you, Godspeed my friend.

P5280721.JPG

Tom at Toledo Executive (Metcalf) for the RV-1 tour stop at EAA Chapter 582 on 5/28/12.

Memorial Service & Obituary

A memorial service will be held 7pm Wednesday October 10, 2012 at SCHOEDINGER NORTH CHAPEL, 5554 Karl Road, Columbus, OH. Family will receive friends one hour prior to the service.

Please visit http://www.schoedinger.com/obituaries/Thomas-Webster2/ to share a favorite memory or photo of Tom. Tom's family doesn't read VAF, so that would be an excellent way to let the family know all the aviation friends that Tom has across the country.

Obituary for Thomas A. Webster

Thomas “Tom” A. Webster, 75, passed away Thursday, October 04, 2012 at his home. Tom was born March 3, 1937 in Dekalb, IL, to the late Percy and Dorothy Webster. He was a member of Worthington United Methodist Church. Tom was an avid pilot who enjoyed building and flying private aircraft. He was an Air Force veteran who service from 1959-1962. Tom retired as an Electronic Technician from Columbia Gas Company. Along with his parents, he is preceded in death by his son, Timothy Webster and sister, Elinor Rowe. He is survived by loving wife of over 52 years, Barbara M. (nee Hoisington) Webster; children, Thomas (Leslie) Webster and Kristin (Daniel) Kolling; grandsons, Ian and Andrew Webster, Thomas and Nick Kolling; brother, James (Jan) Webster; along with many other relatives and friends. A memorial service will be held 7pm, Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at SCHOEDINGER NORTH CHAPEL, 5554 Karl Road, where family will receive friends one hour prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Mid-Ohio Food Bank, 3960 Brookham Drive Grove City, OH 43123.

Last edited:
Not much else to say. I am fighting back tears as I write this.
Tom was what this RV community is all about. He was such a laid back and caring soul. I have known Tom for over 8 years. I ALWAYS looked forward to seeing his smiling Face at a fly in or Formation Clinic.
Tom attended and helped out on many Formation clinics, although he did not chose to fly formation. He just loved being around the guys,and I know I speak for everyone at Ohio Vally Rvators and Team RV, when I say we ALL loved him very much, as well.
I am honored to say he was my friend, and our community lost one of its best.
Love you Tom

AL"Nordo" Grajek

I never had the pleasure of meeting the Gentleman. But, I am truly saddened by his passing and the loss to our community. My sincere condolences to his family and all you friends.

God Bless,

Back