What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

265WD First Flight!

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
Well, I (we) did it.... On Friday,(yes, Friday the 13th ;), but it was Top Gun day so that overruled my superstitious tendencies) our RV-10 took flight for the first time, after 2.5 years of building, with me at the controls.... For the most part it was an uneventful flight. Had some high CHTs and the oil door popped open after about 10 minutes, but other than that,she flew beautifully. Leaped off the runway in what seemed like no time at all and before I knew it I was 2000 feet off the ground. Stayed in the pattern and only flew for about 15 minutes. She flew straight and true and very well balanced. (We fixed the oil door too, been a PIA since day one... Needed to be even stiffer and the latches needed more bite)
Since then I've flown another 6 hours including the 45 minute hop to take it to Cleveland Airport outside of Tulsa to drop it off for paint.
I can't say enough good things about working with Barrett Precision and EFII. The engine starts easy, runs so good and so smooth. Combine that with the 3 blade MT, it is the smoothest plane I've ever flown.
Also a big shout out to Stein and his crew that have helped with all the little questions that arise. And the G3X guys have been instrumental as well.
Took until now to post this because... Well, I'm happy to say, I was busy flying!

My mother in law got a couple shots,but they are from behind as they had driven down to the departure end of the runway to make sure everything was ok... She said the plane was too fast to keep up with!!

Yep...that's the grin.... What a rush!

All tucked in yesterday at the paint shop. (Our DAR gave me a corridor to the painter)

Congratulations!!

John, way to go:D:D

Bet we will see this on tomorrows front page.

image_zpsob3avchh.jpeg

Congratulations, John! Do you have any testing numbers that you can post?

Well, Really preliminary but yes...
Unpainted and running super rich to keep the cylinders cool, @ 2500/25, I'm seeing 170KTAS @ 3500 ft MSL
and Stall Break (Full fuel, two people) is @ 50KIAS, Both power off-full flaps, and power on-no flaps.... Feels like you could hang the thing on the prop before it breaks...
Power off, half flaps breaks @ 53KIAS

Last edited:
Congratulations John! I'm very jealous!

Glad to hear the EFII worked out so well. Anything you'd change about your install or settings? What led you to the Catto prop vs the Hartzel? That decision point is still out in the future for me but interested in your findings!

John, way to go:D:D

Bet we will see this on tomorrows front page.

You were right Mike. Hey, I do my best to keep Doug stocked with interesting material. :D
Congratulations John! I'm very jealous!

Glad to hear the EFII worked out so well. Anything you'd change about your install or settings? What led you to the Catto prop vs the Hartzel? That decision point is still out in the future for me but interested in your findings!

Yes, it's an MT. Came down to weight and $$$ $6k buys a lot of cheddar. Or AVGas

Back