What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTN 6XX/7XX Software 6.70 Now Available for Download (1/24/2020)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
The GTN V6.70 EAB Service Bulletin and software were loaded to the EAB Software Download Area today.

There are two different links on the download page for Service Bulletin 2010. The first link is the Service Bulletin documentation. The second link includes the software file. Please see the Service Bulletin documentation for complete details and make sure you are familiar and comfortable with the software update process outlined there before attempting it on your own aircraft. If not, the option of seeking assistance from a dealer is still available.

We mentioned when V8.40 was released that you can now view and tune the NAV radio on the GDU (as shown below), much the same as you could with a COM radio, but that the feature was only available for the SL 30 NAV radio. With a successful update to GTN Software 6.70, NAV tuning will now available for the GTN 650 and GTN 750.

yBQmRrzFU3vT2NxQUv2y9eSZGj5eEVeGntXeSDFV4To2zbIPFZGtdlNK_GeQp8F7WH9yP8yBy4P2HSubF2TYpy-A65auRQnTXK432_VA9GKxsjlBXbkEV8P6oigCKMJx0KbZDuASCKqfFimGuNwlG8u-MbJlS8p8bIxZ6kRrnXPyd14HOaDdlJ29yVdwXX6urugKFEyy9OW_ODRUUBNl4v1SSxeNTlhbLvvN2tLvH7Pr6vF89aS4UygLC3Pt_mLf13TBCdlj55pL22Gzp5AyJc8l2CSaxPFGPi66B1vJ72TmnMbl39YdG15MPqIcYmQYYuxu6Ea9Sr1hndrlJqNPRPEeA5NYbYoK7lm7PUqQElsuOHs3j85F-Pl_dPYYpIck7RnwcxZVzSIcQpQrGyDP8jvKKtE1pFYwtdnc-UWOqt_scovoKmLO4fTldOiNgtM34ySJ6pOxwIzsZClMCcY9yOSMzsbn8pCkKrl1MaEIgnMd4gvwli4nmLCXbgAszHarKatCpABWK_Uhh5oJ-dbga0WfPeb_6dt2CaVOh_ocxDSCk4Dx43rymvPj1FV9tphaftm6ASQDmfKVqDlMHBq7jvA874f2sabIyf8PXHhfRdCQOP3RUcKCuQiAJwskewsqxCcdQiaJvVQjd67R-c6Cb5IMOHiLo2C02CwmR0cftT4_XOR7Uy94aZnkE1TM56ooSF5MplipGNm0e41DwHfqu3R8QJgmMUG4qdAylhhP=w1280-h768-no

To enable NAV tuning on the G3X Touch, power on the display in configuration mode and select NAV Radio. Select which NAV Radio you want displayed on the databar at the top of the display. When a NAV Radio is enabled in this fashion, you will have a new setting available in the Display Configuration settings to customize how the NAV Radio controls are displayed. The minimized selection will free up some space on the databar to display other data-fields, if needed.

'NAV Radio Controls' allows for the selection of two versions of the displayed NAV fields:

• Normal (default setting)–The NAV radio's active and standby frequencies are displayed in two adjacent windows. This setting applies to all NAV radios displayed on the screen.

i-bfWjwXm.jpg

• Minimized–The NAV radio's active and standby frequencies are displayed as stacked in one window. This setting applies to all NAV radios displayed on the screen.

i-9ZcvxJW-Ti.png

GTN 6XX/7XX software version 6.70 includes the following:

• Allow Remote NAV Tuning from G3X system
• Support crossfill between GTN and GTN Xi
• Updates GPS/WAAS software to v5.3. No functional changes
• Added GI 275 support
• Corrected the display of GNX 375 transponder software version
• When Transponder Emergency Mode is enabled and if the transponder had been set to the VFR code, press and hold of the COM volume knob now sets the transponder squawk code to the emergency code
• Fixed “Say Bearing and Distance from Destination Airport” and “Say Time to Descent” ASR Say Commands

As always, please feel to free to send any questions our way, or reach out to us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Do software updates have to be installed sequentially?

I had an issue once where an update changed something and when I went to shake out the aircraft following maintenance, things were not as they were and I thought I had goofed up something. Turned out it was due to a software change. So I only update software after I do the post maintenance check flight.

My plane has been down for maintenance for the last 3 months and I have missed a few of the G3X Touch updates. My question is, do I have to do the previous (seemingly major) updates before I do the latest or can I skip them?

Thanks,

Nice!

I just finished my instrument rating behind the G3X Touch / GTN650 panel... what an amazing system. The CFIIs I flew with were all blown away!

And now it's better!

Thanks Garmin!!!

G3X Touch Intermediate Loads

I had an issue once where an update changed something and when I went to shake out the aircraft following maintenance, things were not as they were and I thought I had goofed up something. Turned out it was due to a software change. So I only update software after I do the post maintenance check flight.

My plane has been down for maintenance for the last 3 months and I have missed a few of the G3X Touch updates. My question is, do I have to do the previous (seemingly major) updates before I do the latest or can I skip them?

Thanks,

There are no intermediate loads required for the G3X Touch. You should be able to jump straight to software version 8.61. What software level are you currently running?

Thanks,

Justin

Nice!

I just finished my instrument rating behind the G3X Touch / GTN650 panel... what an amazing system. The CFIIs I flew with were all blown away!

And now it's better!

Thanks Garmin!!!

Ed really enjoyed your awesome YouTube videos! Congrats on the instrument rating. I enjoy flying instruments on my G3X panel too.

Minimize stacked window for Com?

Justin/G3X Team
Is there a way or upcoming update that will allow us to have the Minimized version for the Com radio as well or at least for 1 side. I'm thinking because of the limited space on the top bar, it would be nice to have both Nav1 and Nav2 next to Com1 and Com2 but only take up 2 windows instead of 4.

The nav feature is really cool because it shows not just the ILS Morse ID, but also the runway number -- very handy if you're going into an airport with multiple ILS, like my home field. This saves having to look at the approach plate and check the Morse ID for the correct runway...

If you touch the standby nav frequency, it brings up a touchpad that also has a Find feature. One of the options there is Nearest Navaids, which is again really helpful. It also has (mislabeled) comm frequencies, and this will turn tune the standby comm frequency. Strictly speaking, comm freqs don't belong on the nav page but it is very handy! This page also shows distance and bearing to all the nearest navaids and also airport with navaids at the airport, sort of like the Nearest feature except it shows navaids and airports and you don't have to select which. Really cool!

On the GTN650, when an ILS is tuned, the GTN shows when the Morse ID has been decoded by the GTN. That feature didn't make it onto the new G3X Nav frequency display, but hopefully it will. (Feature request).

Since I've got two touchscreens and rarely use VHF nav for other than ILS, I show the Nav frequencies on the near side of the MFD so that I don't reduce the available slots for showing parameters on the PFD.

Last edited:
Just ran the GTN650 upgrade but the GPS/WAAS Board Software 5.3 Failed to update. I don't see any instructions on what to do about it. Also received a message that the terrain database is now corrupt.

GTN Software Update

Just ran the GTN650 upgrade but the GPS/WAAS Board Software 5.3 Failed to update. I don't see any instructions on what to do about it. Also received a message that the terrain database is now corrupt.

Hi Kent,

Please email us at [email protected], and we will help you get this sorted out.

Thanks,

Justin

Had problems updating the WAAS part too. Gave up after about 4 tries. Cycled power, installed new nav database, cycled power again and then tried installing the WAAS part again and this time it worked.

'NAV Radio Controls' allows for the selection of two versions of the displayed NAV fields:

? Normal (default setting)?The NAV radio's active and standby frequencies are displayed in two adjacent windows. This setting applies to all NAV radios displayed on the screen.

i-bfWjwXm.jpg

? Minimized?The NAV radio's active and standby frequencies are displayed as stacked in one window. This setting applies to all NAV radios displayed on the screen.

i-9ZcvxJW-Ti.png

Justin

Just wondering if the "minimized" option also is available for Com radio and/or I can select to display both of my radios on one MFD and only one on PFD?
I am hoping to reduce the size of these so I can display other items.

Software Versions...

do the GTN 750 and 650 need to have the exact same software release for the Crossfill function to work?

Attachments

• IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 20
OK, thanks for that. Fair question but it arrived in this state so just trying to get it configured/updated if needed to correct it. I suppose I wasn't convinced the slight rev. difference in firmware would inhibit that function from working.

Back