What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1998 6A Battery Box

MWH265

Well Known Member
I have an older 6A that has the battery box on the floor under the dash. The battery has been moved and the box stayed as a storage container. I have the build plans but left them in the hangar. I need to spend some time under the dash and would like to remove the box temporarily. Is it just the 22 screws from the bottom of the plane holding it in or is there more to it?

Thanks,
Mike

If by “on the floor under the dash” you mean just aft of the firewall between the rudder pedals, that was the original location for the battery box on an RV-6, but it was not mounted with screws coming up through the belly of the airplane. If yours is mounted that way it’s not built per plans and you’re gonna have to do some sleuthing to figure out what it takes to remove it.

Sounds like your battery box may not be built per plans.

Plans show ten AN3 bolts attaching the entire assembly to floor and firewall stiffeners. Just the cover can be removed by pulling three hinge pins.

Thanks for the reply Scott. I forgot I had the thumb drive here at home. Just went through it and it didn't have much info on the mounting of the box. Mostly just fabricating the box. I guess I'll just have to pull the 22 screws and see what happens. I'm guessing/hoping its not structural in case I like it removed and want to leave it out.

Mike.

Plan #48A shows the box attached to the stiffeners with the AN bolts, but sounds like this won't apply to your installation.

If the box were built to plans, you just have to pull the piano hinge pins to remove the box portion, which leaves the base and back vertical part on the firewall. The base and back don't get in the way of "working under the dash" and can stay. No screws need be removed.

The battery was moved to the rear for W/B, prior to my ownership. It looks like someone modified the box to make it a storage box with an open top. It's not sounding like it was built/installed to plans. It will take a little prodding and pulling to find out how it comes out. I see how it should be attached on 48A now. Thanks for all the feedback.

Mike

Back