camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveahler View Post
Have just installed Trio Pro in my RV-6. What a wonderful addition.
I talked with Steve last night, he installed a Trio Pro in his RV-6 and literally didn't change any of the settings, hooked to a Garmin 150, and said he was good to go without making any adjustments at all to the Trio (which lends weight to the manual stating "The default settings are acceptable for most light GA aircraft").

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I would start by watching your 400W on boot-up, and copy down the software version(s) it is running. Send these numbers to Trio, and ask if they are compatible with your Pro. This sounds like a software mis-match issue to me.
I will check the software version tonight at the hangar, and send an email to Trio to confirm any mismatch there (it would be nice if this is the answer). I believe my 400w is running the latest firmware already however, but will confirm.

Just to be clear though, it doesn't really climb nor descend acceptably on or off of an approach. It has it's own connections to Pitot and Static, so presumably it would do it's own calculations for Air/Data? I could try testing it with my GPS turned off, and see if that has any effect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
...In both cases I was unable to obtain acceptable results in climb or descent...
Does this mean you never did get it to do climbs and descents acceptably? If so, that is disappointing.

Quote:
First thing I would do as untainted would be to make sure there isn't deadband in the elevator pushrod.
By deadband, do you mean essentially slop in the control? As in slop not even involving the autopilot? Would I check this by pinning the elevator and seeing if there is any play from the control stick? And then checking if there is any play in the attachment from the pitch servo?

Quote:
It would be nice if the manufacturer of autopilots would incorporate a computer capable of learning the control necessary based on efis data. It seems like they react to altitude excursions after the fact and fail to predict excursions based on vs and altitude relative to setpoint.
I don't really get this either, why the computer in the AP can't figure out what's going on a little better. It obviously is hooked to pitot and static, and therefore doesn't even need the EFIS data from the GPS or anything else. But, in even the slightest turbulence, lufting or dropping, it immediately pushes over or pitches up. When it's altitude holding (when I mentioned earlier about monitoring it), if I hold the stick and "resist" what it want's to do for about 5 seconds (because we aren't actually climbing nor descending, the VSI swung because of turbulence, we stayed within about 20 feet of altitude), it will stop again and we continue on, equally distrustful of one another...

I am on a mission now to get this thing dialed in, I have lived with it being half baked for too long.