What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-8 vs. -8A interior space?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Is there any advantage to one over the other in terms of interior space? On the tri gear wide bodies the gear towers eat up a good amount of floor space. Looking at the 8 plans and I can't quite tell...

I know on the A model wide bodies the gear towers make wing mounting, fuel tube routing and wiring more difficult... The nose gear on the engine mount also eats up space inside the cowl for things like exhaust and heat muffs.

In general I think a tail dragger is a bit simpler, does this hold true on the 8?

Half full, or half empty

Yes and No, depending on how you look at it. The Gear towers on the 8 are harder to build, more complex and take up a little more leg space, but the 8-A has the gear mounts on the front of the through-spar that makes it hard to put the main wing bolts in and tight. The "A" dose give you that little bit more leg room to the sides and a little longer consoles on both sides. It really is a toss-up and gets to what you like to fly. The old "Tail wheel is on this end or that end" story. Once the wheels leave the ground, you will not note a difference. Hope this helps, but it is what you like that counts on this one. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Don't decide where to put the extra wheel based on interior room. The -8a definitely has a little more wiggle room due to gear towers. Just do a search for -8 gear towers to get an idea. I don't even notice in flight.

Gear Towers

Don't decide where to put the extra wheel based on interior room. The -8a definitely has a little more wiggle room due to gear towers. Just do a search for -8 gear towers to get an idea. I don't even notice in flight.

I agree that the -8 gear towers are completely unnoticeable in flight. I'm 6'3"' 230lbs and the gear towers pose no problem for me, even on 2+ hour flight legs.

Skylor

Back