What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Landing lights

cheathco

I want to change out my landing lights for LED's Would like to knnow what to buy and what is involved for 6A

I want to change out my landing lights for LED's Would like to knnow what to buy and what is involved for 6A

This depends entirely on what you have for lights today. Square or round? Leading edge or wingtip?

Whelen makes a drop in PAR 36 LED replacement LED light that much of our team uses today. They work great and are particularly useful for those looking to shed amp loads off their planes.

If your Six has the Duckworks kit installed presently, you'll only need a spacer to move LED lights forward a bit. Because the LED lamp is shallower, it sits too far back in the opening if screwed to the standard Duckworks bracket.

Youtube "landing light test" and it will yield quite a few videos of Halogen to HID to AeroLed comparisons. Aviation Consumer also did a review of a bunch of the LED lights that were out in their October 2010 issue that can be found in the archives of their website. The problem is all of the videos and non-biased tests and reviews I have seen are at least 2-3 years old. A lot has happened since then to include AeroLed announcing a wingtip landing light specifically for RV wing tips, and Ztron Labs releasing their Landing lights at a very reasonable price with built in Wig-Wag. I am finishing up my wings and have been researching the same item you are. I am hoping to at least to get the mounts and wiring done before I put my wings away in hopes of buying the lights during the finishing phase. From what I have found, to universally wire the wings for the "majority" of the Landing lights that are out you will need to run 2ea 18 awg wires for Power and Ground, 1ea 20 awg wire for the Sync and 1ea 22 awg wire for the Wig-Wag function. Hopefully someone will produce a video of Ztron labs landing lights vs Aeroled lights sometime by then. Good Luck, hope this helps a little.

Speaking of LED landing lights, I wonder about mounting some in the cowling instead of the wings. Heat could be dealt with, and vibration shouldn't be an issue with LED's. Minor pain to unplug when removing the cowl, but shorter wire run, more accessible, & no cutting of the leading edge, while leaving the tips clear for position lights/strobes/etc.

Charlie

Just replaced my old round incandescent with the aeroled. Needed to fabricate slight change in mount. Works great, cooler, less current draw.

LED landing lights

Main thing I want is an increase in brightness as my mine are rather weak. Did You see a noticeable increase?

Back