What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin pitot and safe air connection

o2flymy6

I am hoping for some ideas on the best methord to connect my Safe Air tubing (1/4" OD plastic brake tubing) to my new Garmin heated pitot lines (unsure of the OD). I want to obviously assure a tight seal on the system and need help your input with making this connection.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I am hoping for some ideas on the best methord to connect my Safe Air tubing (1/4" OD plastic brake tubing) to my new Garmin heated pitot lines (unsure of the OD). I want to obviously assure a tight seal on the system and need help your input with making this connection.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hello Jim,

I saw this image on the SafeAir site that looks like it would work to connect your 1/4" tubing to the 3/16" aluminum tubes coming out of the GAP 26 pitot/AOA probe.

AoA_Pitot_Conn_01.jpg

You would just need to flare the ends of the GAP 26 tubes.

I ran 3/16" nylon lines all the way from the GAP 26 to the GSU 25 in my plane and this allowed me to use a simple 3/16" to 3/16" push-to-connect coupling at the probe connection and no flaring, but I like the flared installation as well.

Thanks,
Steve

I love this site!!

Whenever I get stuck on an issue or need insight the folks on that hangout here help. It doesn't get any better than this for me and I know I shall have a better build thanks to the resources here - thanks Doug et al..

pitot

I see colored tubing in the above post is there a recommended color code system to be used?

If the tubing that is currently in my wings is 1/4" OD, will I have any issues with the volume change using a 3/16 OD pitot line? Is the regulated GAP26 available yet?

I see colored tubing in the above post is there a recommended color code system to be used?

Hello Tim,

I don't think the color choice is important, but having different colors sure makes it easier to not make a mistake when you plug the pitot and AOA lines coming from the probe into the GSU 25 ADAHRS.

Thanks,
Steve

If the tubing that is currently in my wings is 1/4" OD, will I have any issues with the volume change using a 3/16 OD pitot line? Is the regulated GAP26 available yet?

Hello Randle,

Since there is no flow in these tubes, there is no problem with transitioning from 3/16" to 1/4" tubing.

If the heated/regulated probe is not shipping yet, it is very close. We are wrapping up a new revision to the G3X Installation Manual (Rev. L) that provides more installation information for this probe.

Thanks,
Steve

The SafeAir kit shows green for static, blue for AOA, and the remaining color (white in my kit, black in their diagram) for pitot.

Steve, do you have any further insight into when Rev. L of the Install Manual will be published? Thanks.

Hello Keith,

Release of the Rev. L installation manual has been held up pending confirmation of some wiring diagram changes in support of a new engine sensor, but if you need an advance copy of the updated GAP 26 installation section, please send us an email and we will fix you up.

Thanks,
Steve

Back