What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airports Norfolk, VA

RKURRLE

I will be flying my RV-7 to the Norfolk area for a long Labor Day weekend to visit my son who is in the Navy. Any suggestions which airport to fly into? If anyone has room in the their hanger for my RV, I would really appreciate it. I would be happy to reciprocate in Daytona Beach. Thank you - Bob 386-235-6925

RV Friendly

We flew in to Chesapeake two summers ago. They had great t-hangars available for under $10 a night, you might check with them. Sorry, my reason for visiting there retired from the Navy and moved from that area. :)

I have been into ORF multiple times. I think they are very accommodating.
Landmark is the FBO. Fuel price is good because they give a healthy discount on the weekend (from the workday high price). Overnight fee was similar to other spots. Discounted with fuel. I can't remember if it was waved the whole time or just the first night. In any case, it was cheap enough to make me happy. It's considerably closer to my sons house (north west of Oceana) than the other options.

At dinner tonight, I asked Diane if she needed a grandson "fix" this weekend in Norfolk. Just at that moment, our daughter in law called and proudly exclaimed that the boy was cutting his first tooth. Ummm. Ok. Yeah, I think we are hanging around the house doing yardwork this weekend ;)

Norfolk (ORF) is convenient w/ all of the services and on-site rental car. Fuel is EXPENSIVE w/ lots of fees. If you break??.

Chesapeake Municipal (CPK) has one runway, average fuel prices, nice facilities and EXPENSIVE maintenance should you break. There MAY be room in the group hanger. EAA Chapter 339 in on the field. Depending when you arrive, to & fro from the airport can be a pain?Dominion Blvd is under HEAVY construction. Rental cars can be dropped off.

Hampton Roads Executive (PVG) is located on the corner where Chesapeake, Suffolk and Portsmouth meet & easy to get to (downtown Norfolk is really pretty close). It has intersecting runways, decent fuel prices, a variety of maintence (best prices around from numerous shops) and open hanger space (call ahead). There is a decent amount of EAAers around. Rental cars can be dropped off.

Norfolk (ORF) is convenient w/ all of the services and on-site rental car. Fuel is EXPENSIVE w/ lots of fees. If you break…….

Definitely agree that all three airports are pricey compared to my fuel stop on the way home (KHKY). ORF is the highest at 6.35 (weekend) vs the other two at 5.79 and 5.99.

Last edited:
Back