What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup reinforcement plate for steps?

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
Has anyone seen a need for a backup reinforcement plate that goes on the inside of the side skins behind the external plate portion of the WD-657 step? Thought about making a backup plate of .063 alum. Has anyone experienced cracking or bending of the side skins at this point?

I've never heard of those skins cracking. I have heard of the weld failing on the bottom of the step, but that's all.

I put them in

I put reinforcement plates in my plane. I used proseal between the skin & reinforcement plate and between the outer skin & step.

I put reinforcement plates in my plane. I used proseal between the skin & reinforcement plate and between the outer skin & step.

An internal "doubler" helps to distribute the load and will help prevent cracking (definately can't hurt). Use material that is the same thickness as the skin or one size up. Fay surface sealing the assembly will prevent any corrosion issue between the stack up.

From what I have seen there isn't an issue with the skin cracking but with the actual step cracking. My pax side step was cracked before first flight. From the aircraft I have looked at setting on the ramp it is the step that is the issue.

After both steps were removed for the second time in less than two years of service, I had the welder attach reinforcement plates to the back as you described. I haven't had a crack in almost three years now. Dan RV-9A

Step backing plate

Installed a backing plate on my 9A during construction. Flying 7 years with no issues or cracks.

Just to be clear.

I've never heard of those skins cracking. I have heard of the weld failing on the bottom of the step, but that's all.

The photos in the thread in the link below (represent/same as) all the step failures I have seen, you can discuss any number of possible reasons that the steps sometimes fail and some good examples are given in the linked thread however the weld clearly has not failed in these photos or on any of the broken steps I have seen.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69633&highlight=broken+step

Not at first - added later

Jeanine and I put ours on per the design and there was no problem but later I decided to make them removable for racing. I drilled out all the rivets and replaced them with screw holes. I put plates in behind the skin and match drilled them, took them out installed platenuts. A access panel was required in the baggage compartment floor for the torsion bolt in the plastic block. I made up a cover plate using only the perimeter holes for mounting. Both installations were trouble free and I don't believe a doubler is required.

Bob Axsom

Step Mounting

Jeanine and I put ours on per the design and there was no problem but later I decided to make them removable for racing. I drilled out all the rivets and replaced them with screw holes. I put plates in behind the skin and match drilled them, took them out installed platenuts. A access panel was required in the baggage compartment floor for the torsion bolt in the plastic block. I made up a cover plate using only the perimeter holes for mounting. Both installations were trouble free and I don't believe a doubler is required.

Bob Axsom

Bob, sounds like a great idea. Any photos available? I'm getting ready to change my pilot-side step and your idea sounds very good.

Back