What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air gaps in plug/coil connections ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
It appears that legacy ignition coil wires, HEI coil terminals and spark plug connectors all seek/employ an inference fit between the high voltage wire terminal and the coil or plug.

The Pmag coil “studs” and 90 degree wire terminal fit loosely. In other words, the stud is smaller than the .161” spring clip on the wire.

So my question is, for you smart guys, how important is it to have “intimate” contact between ignition components ?

If it is not attached you can expect ignition noise for one thing. And heat generation for other. Yes, it is important.

No ignition high tension should have loose connections, ever, on any application.

Can you use some piers to adjust the diameter for better connection?

Thanks Bill

Your comment may also explain why four of my Pmag plug connector spring clips are "rusty", and those leads had NO CONTINUITY.

My new MSD plug connectors are really tight on the plug and the distributor/coil connectors are brass that are designed to touch on the OD with the ID of the distributor ( like older cars did).

FWIW Pmag pilots, I will fabricate brass studs to go in the Pmag coil sockets that will mate with MSD plug connectors that are tight AND dual crimp...Stay tuned.

Back