What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

registration questions

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Okay, apparently I'm an idiot with a search tool today.

Is there anything else I need for aircraft registration other than 8050-1, bill of sale from Vans, and the $5 fee?

Also, I know inspection stuff has moved online but is registration still done by paper?

Lastly, does any of this paper work need to be fancy stuff from an FSDO that has carbon copies and such or will the online version I found be okay to just print out?

Thanks!!!

Easy!

You need a 8050-1 Application and 8050-2 Bill of Sale, which you get by requesting a copy from Van's. Once I sent it in, w/ the $5 fee, I only took a few days to get it all done.

Not part of my calculation, but if you do this, you get on the radar for your state tax board ... they want their pound of flesh (or at least pound of wallet). CA hasn't approached me in last two years .. maybe they are pro GA? (hahaha; no)

Last edited:

Thanks for the link, apparently I'm just that bad at googling things.

You need a 8050-1 Application and 8050-2 Bill of Sale, which you get by requesting a copy from Van's. Once I sent it in, w/ the $5 fee, I only took a few days to get it all done.

Not part of my calculation, but if you do this, you get on the radar for your state tax board ... they want their pound of flesh (or at least pound of wallet). CA hasn't approached me in last two years .. maybe they are pro GA? (hahaha; no)

Awesome thanks! Did you also send the 8050-88 that the link above lists?

Hope you dodged the tax bullet, but probably not... haha

You can count on hearing from both the state (sales tax) and the county (property tax). Sales tax (actually use tax) was due the April 15 of the year after you bought anything. Property tax is due end of August, in the year following your a/w certification. If you rent a hangar from the county you should already be getting a property tax bill on that. The state is pretty aggressive in getting their money, and there are penalties for late payments.

I have a question too!

Seems like you guys read my mind!
I have a question regarding the registration as well.
I have received mine back from Van's and see how it looks like:

0W0W6Nxh.jpg

The question is: on FAA Form 8050-1 on Section 2, do I have to have the information in there exactly as it is on the bill of sale?
For some reason I had the impression that "Aircraft Manufacturer" would be the Builders name.

Plus, another thread (that I cannot find now) was talking about having (,) or (.) in this field.

I wish Mel would read this thread. :D

Thank you!

0W0W6Nxh.jpg

The question is: on FAA Form 8050-1 on Section 2, do I have to have the information in there exactly as it is on the bill of sale?
For some reason I had the impression that "Aircraft Manufacturer" would be the Builders name.

Plus, another thread (that I cannot find now) was talking about having (,) or (.) in this field.

On the bill of sale from Van's, you should cross out "Aircraft" and write "Kit" next to it. It is not an aircraft until it is certificated.

On your application for registration, the aircraft manufacturer will be your name (or your corporation or LLC if that's applicable). Do NOT put VANS as the aircraft manufacturer. (Assuming this is amateur-built and not ELSA.)

One note about model names. Remember that the entire model name as shown on the registration has to also show up on the data plate and airworthiness certificate. KEEP IT SHORT! I did a certification once where the builder put down the model name as "Pietenpol aircamper 1932". Try to get THAT to fit on a data plate! Shorter is better for everyone involved.

0W0W6Nxh.jpg

So...you don't get a "registration" back from Van's...you get a Bill of Sale, form 8050-2. On mine, and most others I believe, it had the word "AIRCRAFT" sort of blacked out (not well, as you could see through it) and the word "KIT" rubber-stamped next to it.

Now, get this...under "Manufacturer and Model"? All it said was "RV-7A".

I don't think this form has much to do with what you put on the registration form...it's really just to establish title/chain of custody legally. Somebody sold you a kit, and here's the BOS to prove it. You made it into a plane, and registered it the way you wanted it named, etc. You can call it whatever you want, built by whatever/whomever you want to put down there, use whatever serial number you desire.

Wasn't there somebody here a while back who registered their newly-finished RV as a model "Air Force One", just so he could use that when calling up on the radio?

If you don't hear from them, it doesn't mean that you don't owe the tax, the responsibility is on you to pay it either way. I didn't realize that this tax was a thing, and last year I was hit with 4 years worth of retroactive tax + interest.

On the bill of sale from Van's, you should cross out "Aircraft" and write "Kit" next to it. It is not an aircraft until it is certificated.

On your application for registration, the aircraft manufacturer will be your name (or your corporation or LLC if that's applicable). Do NOT put VANS as the aircraft manufacturer. (Assuming this is amateur-built and not ELSA.)

One note about model names. Remember that the entire model name as shown on the registration has to also show up on the data plate and airworthiness certificate. KEEP IT SHORT! I did a certification once where the builder put down the model name as "Pietenpol aircamper 1932". Try to get THAT to fit on a data plate! Shorter is better for everyone involved.

Thank you all for the inputs here. It is much clear now.

Have a great Friday!

One last question. I have included a note/letter requesting my reserve N number be assigned but what should I then put in box 1 on 8050-1? I put "please assign reserved N187E" as you can see in the pic. Probably over thinking this.

Attachments

• q1.JPG
    q1.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 162
8050-88 Question

Does someone can guide me to choose the correct options on the 8050-88 Form?
I'm kind of lost on this one. Which options should I choose? :confused:

xyR6EmCh.jpg

Help is appreciated since my registration is pending because I need to send this.

Thank you all.

One last question. I have included a note/letter requesting my reserve N number be assigned but what should I then put in box 1 on 8050-1? I put "please assign reserved N187E" as you can see in the pic. Probably over thinking this.

No note necessary. Just write that N number on the registration application. they'll make the connection.

Does someone can guide me to choose the correct options on the 8050-88 Form?
I'm kind of lost on this one. Which options should I choose? :confused:

xyR6EmCh.jpg

Help is appreciated since my registration is pending because I need to send this.

Assuming that you are talking about a Van's RV series aircraft, you will check box #2, stating that the aircraft was built from a kit.

You're just going to confuse them with all those extra words, seriously. Just put the N-number in there.

As in all business correspondence, I enclosed a cover sheet:

Please find enclosed the forms for registration of a new experimental/amateur-built aircraft. Enclosed are forms 8050-1, 8050-2 and 8050-88. Also, please find enclosed a copy of the Confirmation of Reservation of United States Registration Number, form 8050-110, showing registration number N_____ reserved by me. Please apply this N-number to the requested aircraft registration.

Also enclose is a check for the fees for this registration, in the amount of $5.00.

Thank you for your assistance blah blah blah...

Assuming that you are talking about a Van's RV series aircraft, you will check box #2, stating that the aircraft was built from a kit.

I'm beginning to wonder if that is true in my case. RV-4 "project". Vert stab and rudder from totaled N30RV. Some skins cut from roll of alum stock. Been trough multiple owners, including at least one trade. Certainly not built from a "kit" directly from Vans.

Finn

I'm beginning to wonder if that is true in my case. RV-4 "project". Vert stab and rudder from totaled N30RV. Some skins cut from roll of alum stock. Been trough multiple owners, including at least one trade. Certainly not built from a "kit" directly from Vans.

Finn

Well, you may consider that if it's from a kit such an RV, then the assessment of meeting the 51% rule has (for Van's aircraft) already been done for you. If not, you will probably have to detail out all the work in a big list and indicate which was prefabbed, which was not, and who did the work to prove you meet the 51% rule.

Something to consider.

Back