What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA's Amateur built Aircraft Certification kit

pierre smith

Well Known Member
For all you guys/gals nearing completion of your airplane, the EAA has a complete kit available for just $12.99 for members. It includes everything you need to register and certificate a new Experimental amateur-built aircraft. The 15 page step-by-step Certification guide walks you through the entire process from getting an N number to the aircraft inspection. The kit includes all FAA forms, Experimental sticker (black), dataplate and a convenient placard decal sheet. Call EAA 800 564-6322 to order.

This from EAA's recent news,

Regards,

Not Quite

Harvey L. Sorensen said:
Call your local FAA office and they will send you the same thing FREE.
The FAA will not send the "EXPERIMENTAL" sticker, data plate, or placard sheet.
They will however send you all the paperwork.
If you are not familiar with the system, EAA's kit is a pretty good deal.

I just got the EAA kit and while I think $12.99 is a little high since I probably won't use their sticker or data plate I did like the instructions that showed an example of how to fill in all the forms. After reading about people's registrations being rejected for minor issues, I think this alone was well worth it.

I sent my registration in today so we'll see how it goes.

I agree with Paul, and feel the EAA packet is worthwhile.
I used both the FAA and EAA info.
The EAA examples pointed out the pitfalls in the forms.
Tom

EAAs certification kit

I used the EAA's kit and found it very helpful. My registration came back in 2-3 weeks with no issues. That alone made the kit worthwhile. If you mess up that process, others have fallen into a black hole that took weeks to get out of. When it came time for Mel to inspect, while Mel does lead you through the paperwork, the kit was also helpful during that process also.

Tom Lewis
N967BT RV7a

Squeak squeak

ptrotter said:
I just got the EAA kit and while I think $12.99 is a little high since I probably won't use their sticker or data plate I did like the instructions that showed an example of how to fill in all the forms. After reading about people's registrations being rejected for minor issues, I think this alone was well worth it.

I sent my registration in today so we'll see how it goes.
Sell the sticker and data plate on ebay. :rolleyes:

$12.99 is what? It's about the gas you use to taxi to and from the runway on your first flight. I thought I was cheap. :)

Study all the EAA legal department does for us (home builders) and general aviation, they are worth being a member.

George,

I'm not complaining, I think the $12.99 was worth it, at least I will if I have no problems with my registration, but I think it should be a member service to make the writtten material available on the EAA website at no charge. If you want to buy the stickers and data plate, fine, but the info on filling out the forms should just be available for nothing.

I used it when I built the RV 10, and will use it again for our new project.

Also, I plan to get the new flight test program from EAA.

I find that the airplanes I license as a DAR have much fewer problems with the paperwork, registration, and data plates when using the EAA kit. :)

Vic

I used the EAA paperwork and everything went well. I hate paperwork and would have been lost otherwise. DAR did want a different Program Letter for Richmond FSDO. $12 is nothing compared to total RV cost. Recommend.

<SNIP>

Is this kit worth getting or does Van's supply all this information in a "kit" of some sort?

thanks
ken

It is definitely worth purchasing. It will walk you through step by step on how to CORRECTLY fill out the forms that are included in the kit. It takes the mystery out of the process and makes it easier for all involved, including your DAR should you decide to use one for your AW inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:
The kit is good, but did have one bit that lead me astray: The way it is written it seems to imply in block 2 of the application for airworthiness that you must put the builder’s name last, first, MI. WRONG! Despite the info in their example, you can put anything you want in this block (e.g., First Middle Last, some LLC name, etc.). The info in this block must match the dataplate. Therefore, if you want to have your name on the dataplate in conventional English format First Middle Last, you need to ignore the EAA guidance and put it that way on the application. The FAA does not recognize that FML and L,FM provide exactly the same information and the instructions do not alert you to this fact. :mad:

Last edited:
Same here - it pretty much led me by the nose and made the process pretty straight forward.

I find that the airplanes I license as a DAR have much fewer problems with the paperwork, registration, and data plates when using the EAA kit. :)

Vic

How does the FAA's new online registration mandate effect the EAA packet usefulness?

How does the FAA's new online registration mandate effect the EAA packet usefulness?

The kit will still be very helpful since you need to fill out all the forms on paper and upload them via the online system. You don't need to upload the 8130-6, application for airworthiness certificate, but you might as well fill out the paper one and use it as reference when filling out the online form. All the other forms still need to start out as paper and get scanned for upload.

The kit is highly recommended.

Back