What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Registration Question

dmattmul

Well Known Member
Anyone know if there is a way to have 2 people as the primary builders so later a younger son can do the conditional inspection? I know groups can build the airframe but is the repairman's certificate limited to one person?

Anyone know if there is a way to have 2 people as the primary builders so later a younger son can do the conditional inspection? I know groups can build the airframe but is the repairman's certificate limited to one person?

Only one repairman certificate will ever be issued for a particular aircraft.

Yes, as Colin said, there can be only one "primary builder". At least that's how the rule reads right now. One per aircraft, non-transferable.

There has been some discussion about changing the rule to allow subsequent owners to take the 16 hour inspection course like the ELSA owners do, but so far there has been no actual rule change.

Although it's never a sure bet, it's recommended that the younger person in the built team be the one to apply for the repairman certificate.

There has been some discussion about changing the rule to allow subsequent owners to take the 16 hour inspection course like the ELSA owners do, but so far there has been no actual rule change.
Although it's never a sure bet, it's recommended that the younger person in the built team be the one to apply for the repairman certificate.

Just to add to what Joe says, Remember that an inspection may NOT be delegated. i.e. The person signing off the inspection must be the one doing the inspection.

Understand

Kind of thought that would be the case. Maybe in 10 years they will change the rule. Appreciate the feed-back.

Back