What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop strike repair options

meloosifah

Well Known Member
Hello all - I am looking for options to perform a prop strike tear down on a Lycoming somewhere close to me. I am in Indianapolis. Know of any good shops anywhere close?

Conversely, anyone have experience with a shop farther away that you think would absolutely be worth the extra effort?

Lastly, this is an almost new IO360 180hp m1b - any recommendations on ways to improve the engine while it’s torn down?

Just an update for everyone who’s following this:

After speaking with every shop that has been recommended here, and a couple that were recommended locally, I am leaning towards Zephyr in Florida. The reasons are because they offer a one year warranty on all repairs, including components like cylinders, the owner of the shop made several recommendations that will actually net him significantly less money, and advised me to wait until the plane is as ready to fly as humanly possible in order to maximize warranty and ensure no corrosion.

Spoke to the owner and he was FAR more knowledgeable than anyone I spoke to with the exception of Rhonda at Barrett. They are the first alternative, so to speak, but significantly higher base quote.

In addition, Zephyr will take care of all shipping if I want them to and they charge when the project is done. Icing on the cake is that they are not marking up the mandatory replacement roller tappets at all - mainly because they think it’s a crock that we have to replace them - saving me $800 - $1900, depending on the shop.

Interesting side note - EVERY shop said that porting and polishing on these engines is a colossal waste of money and benefits only the seller of the service - for what it’s worth...

On the phone, none of them compare to Zephyr. Any feedback that might change my mind?

Last edited:
Hello all - I am looking for options to perform a prop strike tear down on a Lycoming somewhere close to me. I am in Indianapolis. Know of any good shops anywhere close?

Conversely, anyone have experience with a shop farther away that you think would absolutely be worth the extra effort?

Lastly, this is an almost new IO360 180hp m1b - any recommendations on ways to improve the engine while it?s torn down?

G&N is located in Griffith Indiana.

G&N is located in Griffith Indiana.

G&N did the Lycoming tear down and inspection on the IO 360 engine in the RV I bought from the original builder after he experienced a prop strike landing at Oshkosh in 2014. I’ve now owned it almost five years and have flown it almost 400 hours. Runs “purrrfectly!” I highly recommend G&N.

My RV7A was also a very low time RV when the prop strike occurred. When I bought it I considered it an almost new aircraft. So far it’s proven to have been a very solid purchase after working out a few build quality issues.

Last edited:
Every time I come across a prop strike I get concerned.

Friend was a 38 yr Mechanical Engineer for various OEM's and was on the "core" design team for several engines. Also a pilot we discussed the wide variance in results on prop strikes. For example, why could a hard runway strike "survive" while taxiing into tall grass fail?

His answer was telling and supported his recommendations.

The critical point is whether a cylinder was firing at the time of prop contact.

If so the loads went to Valhalla.

The more critical point was his recommendation to have the crank X-rayed.

I'd just purchased a 3000A Magnaflux and he told me I wasted my money.

Magnaflux is good to about 1/4-3/8" and fracture planes can develop, subsurface deeper than that. Only a X-ray can "reach" deeper.

FWIW

Last edited:
As mentioned above, G&N up near Chicago is probably your best bet for a nationally recognized shop in your area. They did the case for my last build and were great to work with.

Another interesting idea may be to contact Winchester Aero over in Virginia. I talked with them about whether they'd let me build my engine alongside their mechanic and they were totally ok with it. It would be an interesting way to really get to know the inner workings of it and might even give you the confidence to do your own next time!

Rick Romans in Tulsa or Aircraft Specialty are the two go-to places for nondestructive testing of the internals.

Just an update for everyone who?s following this:

After speaking with every shop that has been recommended here, and a couple that were recommended locally, I am leaning towards Zephyr in Florida. The reasons are because they offer a one year warranty on all repairs, including components like cylinders, the owner of the shop made several recommendations that will actually net him significantly less money, and advised me to wait until the plane is as ready to fly as humanly possible in order to maximize warranty and ensure no corrosion.

In addition, they will take care of all shipping if I want them to and they charge when the project is done. Icing on the cake is that they are not marking up the mandatory replacement roller tappets at all - mainly because they think it?s a crock that we have to replace them - saving me $800 - $1900, depending on the shop.

On the phone, none of them compare. Any feedback that might change my mind?

Every time I come across a prop strike I get concerned.

Friend was a 38 yr Mechanical Engineer for various OEM's and was on the "core" design team for several engines. Also a pilot we discussed the wide variance in results on prop strikes. For example, why could a hard runway strike "survive" while taxiing into tall grass fail?

His answer was telling and supported his recommendations.

The critical point is whether a cylinder was firing at the time of prop contact.

If so the loads went to Valhalla.

The more critical point was his recommendation to have the crank X-rayed.

I'd just purchased a 3000A Magnaflux and he told me I wasted my money.

Magnaflux is good to about 1/4-3/8" and fracture planes can develop, subsurface deeper than that. Only a X-ray can "reach" deeper.

FWIW

I have asked the shops about this and EVERY person has disagreed with this for this size and HP and RPM of engine. Not a single shop has any knowledge of a properly inspected engine failing catastrophicly due to deep cracks that were missed during MPI. The consensus is that this MAY apply to high HP or high RPM engines but it is virtually impossible for damage to develop that would not reach the inspection depth of the MPI. Not a mechanical engineer, just passing on the unanimous feedback from 11-12 of the more well know engine shops in the country. No dog in the fight, just documenting for future readers.

MPI vs. X-ray

I have asked the shops about this and EVERY person has disagreed with this for this size and HP and RPM of engine. Not a single shop has any knowledge of a properly inspected engine failing catastrophicly due to deep cracks that were missed during MPI. The consensus is that this MAY apply to high HP or high RPM engines but it is virtually impossible for damage to develop that would not reach the inspection depth of the MPI. Not a mechanical engineer, just passing on the unanimous feedback from 11-12 of the more well know engine shops in the country. No dog in the fight, just documenting for future readers.

I am a certified NDT'er with 30 plus years of experience, an A/P and pilot.(not bragging just telling who I am) I agree that MPI is the method that is the best option for rotating engine parts. The previous poster is correct that it is good to a depth of about .250" but may be slightly off base when it comes to where and how cracks develop. A crack needs to start at a point of weakness. Those are usually going to be things like sharp edges, nicks scratches or in some cases raw material discontinuities.(the latter being the least likely on a manufactured aircraft part due to all of the stringent certification processes) As long as the inspection company or individual you choose to do your MPI inspection is reputable and following sound practices, there should be no issues in trusting the approval of those rotating components.

Back