What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gdl39 problems

dan carley

Well Known Member
has anyone been having problems with the older gdl39. if I'm on the internet connected to my ipad with garmin pilot works fine. if I use only the gdl39 I keep getting errors?
and the unit will not update the firm where?

thank you
dan carley

Have you contacted Garmin Pilot support? I have found that they are really helpful and responsive when I have had problems.

What exact errors are you getting?

There is apparently some sort of a problem with bluetooth and the latest versions of iOS and the GDL units, so I've heard (I use Android, mostly).

gld 39

will not pick up wx, gives a message overlay failed to open, and some times internet radar unavaible and internet ir sat unavailable

I have no idea what they mean

danny

has anyone been having problems with the older gdl39. if I'm on the internet connected to my ipad with garmin pilot works fine. if I use only the gdl39 I keep getting errors?
and the unit will not update the firm where?

thank you
dan carley

Dan, I thought Garmin put out an update for the "Garmin Pilot" app. I have foreflight, so for those also having issues with foreflight:

Dear Customer,

We have identified Bluetooth connectivity issues affecting devices on iOS 10 and 10.1 and Garmin hardware, including the Flight Stream 210 and GDL 39.

Garmin will release updated firmware for the GDL 39 to improve Bluetooth stability on Friday, November 4th.

We are working with Garmin and will update you as soon as these issues are resolved. If you have any questions, feel free to email [email protected].

- Team ForeFlight

Last edited:
I'm using it on garmin pilot? just started acting up but never got wx

danny

Sounds exactly like what I am experiencing with Foreflight.

I see the G3X touch has GDL39 4.8 available, while the G3X non-touch is still at 4.7.

I'm hoping to get the 4.8 when Garmin puts it out for the non-touch G3X and also hoping Foreflight will get some new info to improve the stability.

It really sounds like the same problem.

Lets us know if you figure anything out...

I'm experiencing the same issue with my Dual GPS receiver. It frequently breaks contact with my iPad/Garmin Pilot system. It reconnects automatically, but for several seconds, Garmin Pilot no longer has a valid GPS signal. The app for the Dual GPS shows good (continuous) satellite reception, but does show breaks in connectivity with the iPad. All this stated happening after I "upgraded" the IPad IOS to 10.1....

Mine works fine. Now where is my firm where? I think I saw it under the bed.
By the way, the GDL 39 can be put under the panel out of the way. It can share the GPS signal from another receiver. For 978 receive, a short inexpensive transponder stub can be mounted on the belly. Works great... you might like it.

Back