What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do belts shrink

Mike6A

Well Known Member
Removed my prop for overhaul and decided to put a new alternator belt on. Belt that came off is a 15355 and measures 35 inches. Every brand with that number is 35.5 inches. It is 6 years old, do they shrink that much? Thanks

Never never never heard of a belt shrinking that is in use. I've only replaced a few thousand in my life, But never heard of one shrinking.
Art

They only shrink as the temperature increases, they have a negative thermal expansion coefficient.

But agree, not in operation.

Recommend just using the belt number for a Gates belt.

let me se if i can remember the details from my auto parts gig years ago. the 15 indicates the width of the belt and the 355 would indicate 35.5 inches. a 15350 would be a 30 inch belt.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Belts around my waist only get smaller.

V-belts only get larger.

I have seen the same belt size from different manufacturers have different lengths even when the part number said they were the same length.

Belts around my waist only get smaller.

V-belts only get larger.

I have seen the same belt size from different manufacturers have different lengths even when the part number said they were the same length.

Yes & back in my auto parts days I remember going thru many belts to find 2 that would match in length (dual AC belts), all same manufacturer, part number, even same lot number in a lot of cases

Back